CCP to Halt DUST 514 on PS3 in Favor of Expanding Project Legion

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
CCP to Halt DUST 514 on PS3 in Favor of Expanding Project Legion

CCP has announced it will shut down DUST 514 for the PlayStation 3 coming on May 30.

Ashes to ashes, DUST 514 to dust ...

With CCP having announced a PC version of DUST 514 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134184-Dust-514-On-PC-CCP-Unveils-Project-Legion] under the guise of Project Legion at Fanfest 2014 (see the video at right), it seemed like the days were numbered for the PS3 version. It took about two years, but CCP has finally revealed that it will be shutting down the game servers on May 30.

In a statement to fans [https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=225484] on the official forums, CCP said:

"We are very proud of what we've learned and accomplished with DUST 514 on PlayStation 3 over the past three years and it is an honor to be a part of such a dedicated community. We consider DUST 514 one of the best free-to-play offerings on the platform, but the years have caught up with us. It is with a heavy heart that we inform you that DUST 514 will be shutting down on May 30th, 2016. We therefore will not be releasing the 1.3 update as we had planned. Players will continue to be able to play for free on our servers until then, but all further PSN packs and purchases have been removed and disabled from the in-game marketplace and the PlayStation Store. Players with existing Aurum will be able to continue to purchase items from the in-game marketplace."

The free-to-play FPS, set in the same world as other CCP products Eve Online, EVE Valkyrie and Gunjack, never was quite what CCP had envisioned it to be [http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/3/5677566/Dust-514-project-legion-reaction]. But with Project Legion, being developed by the Shanghai dev team, CCP is hoping to take what it learned with DUST 514 and make it a better PC experience by starting the game from scratch using the Unreal Engine 4.

[gallery=5598]

"This is in many ways an evolution of Project Legion, the concept we announced at EVE Fanfest 2014, but without the limitations of technical debt and development paths we quickly discovered in that effort that could never serve as a future-proof technology base for a full production game," CCP said.

The company hopes to reveal more information on the new game during the livestreaming of Fanfest 2016 on April 21.

Source: DUST 514 forums [https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=225484]

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I tried the game a bit when it first came out. It wasn't a bad game, but it didn't feel incredibly unique either. I played for maybe 10 hours and then gave up.
If I remember though, it was a console exclusive online shooter with no aim-assist, and allowed for full mouse and keyboard input. Kind of kills off anyone who just wants to play with a controller, doesn't it? I don't know, maybe they fixed that, or maybe I remember wrong.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Main thing I remember about Dust 514 was the paid for loadouts, lost on death.

I remember at the time thinking that it was pay to win boiled down to it's most extreme and literal. Every time you spawned you had to pony up unless you wanted to stuck on the basic kit (ie, sentenced to immediate death). Given that it's still going I guess enough people found it less offensive than I did.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
fix-the-spade said:

I remember at the time thinking that it was pay to win boiled down to it's most extreme and literal. Every time you spawned you had to pony up unless you wanted to stuck on the basic kit (ie, sentenced to immediate death). Given that it's still going I guess enough people found it less offensive than I did.
Dunno if it changed or not in the time since I quit, but the paid kit was just higher tier stuff with a fancy paint job and a small reduction in skill requirements. Buying and replacing basic kit that was just as good as the paid stuff was relatively easy even if you lost every match you played and being useful even with low level gear wasn't that difficult for a decent player with the right approach. As far as I'm concerned, Dust514 is one of the rare instances of F2P done right. Everything you could buy was something you could easily get yourself if you just waited for a little bit and kept playing.

I played Dust514 on and off for a long time and never quite stopped liking it, even as I realized it wasn't everything they said it would be. I stopped playing more out of disappointment and waiting for Project Legion than for lack of fun or anything like that.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Why CCP decided that the tie-in game to a PC exclusive MMO should be a PS3 exclusive in the first place is a mystery to me.

Angel vee

Feb 4, 2016
I strongly disagree with this. decision. I've been a member for a little over a year now. and I've come to love this game with a passion. it's what i look forward to morning and night. thumbs down for me. super sad about this. decision. I'll be letting everyone online that i can about this.and hopefully they can make an impact on changing this decision

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Too little, too late, CCP. Should have made it a PC game in the first place, back when people were still interested in EVE.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
fix-the-spade said:

thats kind of the thing with eve - your death matters because you loose everything when you died. Its one of those online features that seems to have gone away in MMOs but has a resuregence on FPS. Do note that the items you buy are all paid with ingame money though. Also just like in Eve, in Dust your skill maters far more than your outfit.

Also if you arent intentinally trying to loose you could easily afford gear in every battle anyway.

Aeshi said:
Why CCP decided that the tie-in game to a PC exclusive MMO should be a PS3 exclusive in the first place is a mystery to me.
They wanted to dip in that sweet sweet console money machine. turns out - it was a false promise and there is no such thing. Also it was PS3 exclusive because Mircorosft basically told them they will have to pay a shitload of money for releasing patches and CCP found that unacceptable. PS3 on the other hand allowed them to fix the game for free.

infohippie said:
Too little, too late, CCP. Should have made it a PC game in the first place, back when people were still interested in EVE.
Eve has been around since 2003 and its player numbers have always constantly grown for over a decade, with only one exception - that being the release of walking in stations that noone asked for. There was in-game protest (i participated) at that time that literally crashed their server by too many people doing calculation-heavy tasks. If current projections dont change, eve will outlive most MMOs, including the mythical WOW. People who were interested in eve are still interested, and those that werent cant really be called to have lost interest anyway.

Then again, the very first graphic MMO ever released is still alive and playable (though its shit now). And no, Ultima is not the first one, Tibia released 3 months before Ultima.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
I remember playing this game, it seemed to largely be about spawn camping and vehicles not really being balanced. When it wasn't about spawn camping it was about too few people being put on far too large a map and insta killing one another with forge guns.
And I could never get the keyboard and mouse controls to work properly as well.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Strazdas said:
infohippie said:
Eve has been around since 2003 and its player numbers have always constantly grown for over a decade, with only one exception - that being the release of walking in stations that noone asked for. There was in-game protest (i participated) at that time that literally crashed their server by too many people doing calculation-heavy tasks. If current projections dont change, eve will outlive most MMOs, including the mythical WOW. People who were interested in eve are still interested, and those that werent cant really be called to have lost interest anyway.

Then again, the very first graphic MMO ever released is still alive and playable (though its shit now). And no, Ultima is not the first one, Tibia released 3 months before Ultima.
Hardly. The number of ACCOUNTS might have been expanding, but how do CCP really count those? And it's the kind of game where multiboxing is really easy and common. I played for five years myself, and haven't been back in another five.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
infohippie said:
Strazdas said:
infohippie said:

Hardly. The number of ACCOUNTS might have been expanding, but how do CCP really count those? And it's the kind of game where multiboxing is really easy and common. I played for five years myself, and haven't been back in another five.
They count subscription. As in people that pay every month (or pay ahead). Dead accounts are therefore not counted in there. Multiboxing exists, sure, but somone pays for those accounts anyway. even plex users like me are profitable for them since somone still pays actual money for it. Maybe you havent been back, but that does not mean everyone quit with you. The subscription numbers keep being stable with very slight incline, same as throughout most of eve history.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Strazdas said:
They wanted to dip in that sweet sweet console money machine. turns out - it was a false promise and there is no such thing.
A lesson that Crytek paid dearly for.

Darkness665

Dec 21, 2010
The commenters didn't fall for the misleading (or was possibly misunderstood by the author) line from the article. While they made a very small mention of Project Legion CCP actually is, as stated, starting over - completely. They are throwing everything out and trying it one more time, only on PC. This time with UE4, which is so much better than UE3 (even with super special CCP modifications). Dust514 is dead. Project Legion is dead. A new UE4 shoot them in the face game is being developed from scratch for PC. It will, most likely, be the same subscription model as EVE.

The original PS3 decision was fatally flawed, the reasoning was supposedly to broaden the EVE player base to consoles. Or something muttered that sounded like that.

The decision to support KB/M was also somewhat of a mistake, IMHO. The fast action of forward/reverse by KB/M vehicle drivers was impossible to match with controller. While it is theoretically possible to balance the two one needs to first acknowledge that it needs to be done. Something CCP never did. The constant drain of F2P and micro-transaction hell took its toll, although I knew many players that never paid anything to play it.

Shoot it in the head, Dust514 is dead.

Darkness665

Dec 21, 2010
infohippie said:
Strazdas said:
An interesting note from a past Dust514 player. I met many EVE players (and disliked most of them) but every single one had several accounts. Many claimed that they no longer paid real world cash to play as they extended their subscription with PLEX. Please take that with a grain of salt, nearly every single EVE player I met was untrustworthy. Backstabbing and lies were their most common trait.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Darkness665 said:
infohippie said:
Strazdas said:
An interesting note from a past Dust514 player. I met many EVE players (and disliked most of them) but every single one had several accounts. Many claimed that they no longer paid real world cash to play as they extended their subscription with PLEX. Please take that with a grain of salt, nearly every single EVE player I met was untrustworthy. Backstabbing and lies were their most common trait.
This is a fair assessment of EVE, though I'd go on to say that people in your corp are slightly less untrustworthy. Some of them might even come close to being actually trustworthy. I'd understand it if someone who only played DUST514 had a bad impression of EVE players, though, as almost every single EVE player I ever talked to hated the fact the DUST514 existed since most of them didn't even own a console and therefore couldn't personally take advantage of what it was supposed to offer. The promised benefits to being allied with a DUST corp were nonexistent as well, so bothering with it on their end was a complete and total waste of time. Really, the implementation of DUST514 was a failure on every front, accounting for the fact that it was actually kind of fun.

Darkness665

Dec 21, 2010
Kajin said:
This is a fair assessment of EVE, though I'd go on to say that people in your corp are slightly less untrustworthy. Some of them might even come close to being actually trustworthy. I'd understand it if someone who only played DUST514 had a bad impression of EVE players, though, as almost every single EVE player I ever talked to hated the fact the DUST514 existed since most of them didn't even own a console and therefore couldn't personally take advantage of what it was supposed to offer. The promised benefits to being allied with a DUST corp were nonexistent as well, so bothering with it on their end was a complete and total waste of time. Really, the implementation of DUST514 was a failure on every front, accounting for the fact that it was actually kind of fun.
I like your fine tuning of trust in EVE. Very accurate and quite funny. While Dust514 offered a lot and promised much more it did fail to deliver on nearly all of it, even less to the EVE side of it. The entire PS3 decision would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall while it was being made. Assuming that flies cannot fall off the wall while laughing their asses off.

I enjoyed Dust514. I played it for several years, from the first Beta. The controls sucked, the guns (even tank guns) would fail to fire, the hit boxes were amusing (in a black humor way), target pips would indicate you could hit the target even though it was actually blocked by terrain or you could use a minigun that was able to shoot though railings, the AV crowd was over powered and the entire you will lose gear if you die was just a horrible money sink. But, I continued to play. Because of my friends, we would get together and BS, blow shit up, complain about the game and do it again the next day/night.

The interesting falling off the rails moment for me was the actual release of Dust514, on 5/14 of course. Which me made jokes about since CCP uses non-American date format so the game should have been Dust145. But that would have been less. We had played the Beta but the release was actually a different game. So why even fake taking bug-reports when they have nothing to do with the game you are working on? The tank rail guns wouldn't work on the shield tanks. By which I mean, if you turned the turret the gun wouldn't fire anymore. You could adjust the vertical angle, but horizontal was a failure. I had transitioned to tanker before that, so I left until they fixed it.

I continued to play off and on until a year ago, too many friends had left and there were too many games that delivered what CCP never could.

Good friends, good times, bad game.

Angel vee

Feb 4, 2016
Not a bad game at all . not according to the numbers i see spike beginning ever Thursday 43000 play online at once. Monday-Wednesday about 23000 play. weekends are always packed.from what I've seen for the past little over a year no one has ever said that this game sucks. Ask the group's with large or small corporation about their opinion. The majority of the players that i do see everyday and night are playing on there ps3 including me.and i don't think it's a good idea to get rid of this wonderful game. I'm probably the only female who has downloaded a wallpaper for her phones background picture, but it's okay because i love this game. and i know for a fact there's plenty of ppl who feel the same