CD Projekt Details Cyberpunk 2077

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk RPG has a slightly new name and an all-new website.

CD Projekt Cyberpunk 2020 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117529-CD-Projekt-Red-Reveals-Cyberpunk]. But now the game has a slightly spiffier name that also differentiates it from the original PnP version.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be set a half-century after Cyberpunk 2020 but will still feature some of the game's well-known settings, including Afterlife, Forlorn Hope [http://www.trollandtoad.com/p154238.html] and a combat zone overrun by gangs. Like CD Projekt's famous Witcher franchise, the game will boast a "multi-thread, non-linear story" intended for mature players, with a significant degree of player freedom.

The studio has also launched a new blog which currently contains an few wallpapers, announcement videos and the usual "subscribe to our mailing list" link, plus an introduction by Pondsmith, who is working with CDPR on the development of the game, and a treatise on the difficulties of adapting PnP rules to a videogame format.

"Adapting pen & paper rules to video game is not as easy as it can appear at first glance. The flexibility of an in-person RPG has to be replaced with a strict set of rules. Every skill, attribute and game mechanic has to have a clear definition and place in the game," the studio explained. "For hardcore Cyberpunk 2020 fans out there, twiddling with rules in such a way may seem like blasphemy. But rest assured that we are working very closely with Mike Pondsmith to ensure that the unique feel of the original, paper game is preserved intact."

It's still pretty thin but with CD Projekt's reputation and the hands-on involvement of the original Cyberpunk creator, I think the potential is very exciting.

Source: Cyberpunk.net [http://www.cyberpunk.net]

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
Is it possible for a single image to sell a game? I think so. Hope it comes out on consoles.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I cannot wait for this - CD Project's storytelling & mechanics in a grim, future-tech dystopia?

I am sold.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Jorec said:
Is it possible for a single image to sell a game? I think so. Hope it comes out on consoles.
I was already sold on the game, but I will admit that's just an awesomely striking image. I also love the retro 80's future style font/logo.

And, depending on how this develops, I could actually see this being a system seller/PC upgrade seller for me. I love me some Cyberpunk and these guys just seem like the right ones to do it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I'm very excited to see what they can do with the Cyberpunk franchise. I hope it'll be made with the PC as the primary/exclusive platform, like the Witcher series.

CortexReaver

Jul 19, 2011
This image is completely tasteless. Half-naked woman with Adam Jensen-style blades, d'oh. My first impression is ruined.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Another game from CDProject based on some rather esoteric source material...but that's not a complaint. I read some of the Witcher books because of the games, so now I wouldn't mind looking into the ruleset of this game for my next currently unplanned tabletop session.

Most importantly, good on them for making the kind of games they want to, they wish a game existed so they go ahead and make it real. Mark me as totally excited about this.

EDIT: I hadn't realized Cyberpunk was so popular, I've played a lot of D20 settings (I don't imagine this is) and never heard of it. My mistake for equating "I don't know about it" to "esoteric"

Now that I was thinking about this game more, I hope they take their time and release it a little closer to their ideal state. I appreciated all the patches, DLC, and revisions for Wither 2 being free, but it was kinda jarring sometimes to get new quests for areas I'd already been through, and the many restarts I did because "now it's the definitive experience" or director's cut, or whatever it may be called. Then again, if I finished it near launch and they went ahead and overhauled the whole damn thing, it would be an incentive to re-visit it. I imagine they're quite the perfectionists over there.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
I hope it will be a pc game instead of a console game with a pc version, It was a good game don't get me wrong but it was way too consolised.
OT: does cyberpunk 2020 have guns?, and how would that work in a game without becoming a shooter.

Aug 31, 2012
Cyberpunk 2077...Damn, cyberpunk 203X (v3) really turned me off. I hope it's not a continuation of the original time line. Mind you, since they are mentioning 2020 fans and it's supposed to be specifically based on 20202 then maybe they've just changed the time in which the original 2020 was set as it's be kind of ludicrous to have it all happening in 2020 from our perspective in 2012, putting it back to 2077 might make it seem a bit more feasible.

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
" intended for mature players,

The blood splattered girl in her nightie would suggest otherwise.

As CDProjekt has something of a darling status among PC gamers the image could have been a crayon drawing of a cock and most people here would be fawning over it.

Jun 16, 2010
CortexReaver said:
This image is completely tasteless. Half-naked woman with Adam Jensen-style blades, d'oh. My first impression is ruined.
I like it. The vulnerable sexuality of the girl in her undies is sharply contrasted with the fact that she has blades coming out of her arms and is drenched in blood.

It gives the ominous sense that in this world, just about anything could gut you alive.

Aug 31, 2012
rolfwesselius said:
OT: does cyberpunk 2020 have guns?, and how would that work in a game without becoming a shooter.
Fucktons.

I can't answer the second, that will be down to the game designers. Maybe it'll be a bit like Fallout 3 or Deus Ex? The pnp game could be pretty deadly, getting into a fire fight was a good way to end up dead unless you were well prepared or the GM was feeling nice, so trying to achieve goals without getting shot at was generally a good idea (although being pnp you could play whatever way you wanted really). Maybe they'll make it like that? Who knows? We'll have to wait and see.

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
CortexReaver said:
I beg you, good sir, look again. Those blades appear to be kama, an Asian weapon with origins as a farming tool that is prevalent in Filipino martial arts.
By contrast, Adam Jensen has a pair meter-long blunt tipped edged pieces of steel which pop out of his forearms.

The "Slinky" outfit. (A strapless halter top and a bikini bottom, it appears), is as much a uniform for women in cyberpunk as longcoats are.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
"Adapting pen & paper rules to video game is not as easy as it can appear at first glance. The flexibility of an in-person RPG has to be replaced with a strict set of rules. Every skill, attribute and game mechanic has to have a clear definition and place in the game," the studio explained. "For hardcore Cyberpunk 2020 fans out there, twiddling with rules in such a way may seem like blasphemy. But rest assured that we are working very closely with Mike Pondsmith to ensure that the unique feel of the original, paper game is preserved intact."
I still hope they can find an interesting way to incorporate botching into the game though. If I don't have a 1-in-10 chance of potentially shooting myself in the face then it just isn't Cyberpunk.

Also the whole idea of fashion being an equally viable and necessary progression for the character. Can't get the best jobs unless you can get into the swankiest club.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I used to play the pen and paper game in my youth so this has my attention. I very much look forward to more information.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Cyberpunk is one of my favourite genres and CD Projekt knows how to do RPGs. I'm very interested.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It's hard to tell in that image but if you look at the original (the site is currently down for some reason, but it's there), she actually appears to be either a cyborg or a heavily augmented human. It's quite arguable that the outfit is meant to expose the woman's meta-humanism as much as it is as straight-up "sex sells" marketing.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Sweet. Simple rule really: give me an RPG set in the future, put lasers in it, and I'm happy.

Now all they've got to deliver are some lasers.