CD Projekt Does Witcher 2 DLC Right, Makes It All Free

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
They did that with the enhanced edition for the first one, you could download it for free and it improved the game hugely, plus added too small stories as well.

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
Xzi said:
Anah said:
What I am supporting with my "insane and self-mutilating love of DLC" is people working in the game industry.

I like games.
The gaming industry is not one, single entity. The bottom line is that DLC, on the whole, supports developers and publishers who would rather scam a quick buck off the consumer than produce a quality product. Expansions and DLC are NOT even remotely the same thing. Expansions died off for the most part some time ago. Awakening for DA:O was the first multiplat one seen for four years. And now we're looking at CD Projeckt making more four years later.

Now, you tell me, when was the last time you saw something labeled DLC contain 30+ hours of gameplay? The answer is never. You're lucky to find DLC that contains more than 4 hours of gameplay. And that's usually around $15. Half the price, nowhere near half the content.

You call CD Projeckt releasing DLC for free a "PR stunt," I call it one of maybe only two times in the least six or seven years that a developer has been honest about the value of DLC.
Would it have been viable to distribute cheaper 1 to 4 hour content on a CD? No. It would certainly not have been. Industries have always, since the beginning of time, moved with the advance of technology. And an Industry like the video game industry, which is so tightly tied to how we handle technology nowadays is even more prone to take advantage of it.

Your bottom line is that people who want to earn money are inheritable bad. I am sorry, but this is not how the world works. I have personally enjoyed every DLC I have ever bought for any game that I own--but I have never bought anything that I did not find attractive to begin with. Just like I had the choice whether or not I wanted my car to have different, snazzier tires and decided not to.

And yes. I like to support people in the Gaming Industry. As much as you seem to want to divide them into I-have-no-idea-what, anyone working in the Industry works in the Industry. And that includes the man or woman pushing papers for the boss, or casting VO actors while in the employ of a company. I work in the Software Industry. However, I have not written a single line of code. Before that I worked in the Wood and Metal Industry, but have not done any work on either materials.

Anyway. Expansion vs DLC. Aright. I'll bite. The difference between something being allowed to be labelled an Expansion or not would boil down to length and complexity. Awakening added new skills along with its new campaign, which would be the only two differences that would set it apart from the DLC available for Mass Effect 2. But at the end of the day its still the same concept. Awakening was by far not as long lasting (15 hours, not 30) as Expansions "back when", but again, back then the only viable solution would have been to repackage and re-release a bundle of the game. EDIT: I forgot to answer your question. I haven't seen "Expansions" for a while. I have seen follow up titles that should have been Expansions, Remakes and an abundance of DLC for titles that might have otherwise used Expansions though. I don't miss them though. They had a fairly long wait time.

Why am I even arguing with you? I'll leave it at that. You will continue to believe DLC is robbing you, I will continue to believe that DLC cannot rob anyone, as we are not forced to buy it, and happily purchase what tickles my interest. And at the same time I will hope that the trend continues and is improved upon, as the more updates for a game I like are available, the happier I will be.

And just to make one thing clear: I like CDP. I do not like the Witcher games though. I do not even think they are RPGs, but look at them as highly detailed and complex Adventure titles with RPG elements--but that is me taking a stab at the people saying ME2 is not an RPG. Why I don't like them boils down to personal taste; I like having flexible characters. Geralt is even less flexible than Commander Shepard, and a character I do not like to boot.

But I like CDP so much, I buy the Witcher, collectors edition and all.

So yeah. Their PR stunt is evidently working.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
I don't really care for DLCs. In my experience, additional content they provide usually seems a bit redundant or subpar when compared to original. Alas, after initial few disappointments (namely Bioware DLCs) I kinda gave up on whole idea so I might not be entirely objective.

With all that said I'm still glad to see there are studios like CD Projekt. They deserve our support for all the work they've done to improve their game and actually listening to their fans. Adding free DLC to their game is a good-will gesture and should be applauded.

Good work guys, but I'll still wait and see how game turns out ;)

CosmoK

Oct 25, 2009
Canadish said:
Bioware, a much older, larger and more established studio, with the financial backing of EA produced a shoddy, rushed and ugly game, loaded with hidden SecuROM, which they lied about, and overcharged for day 1 DLC.
Yeah, I think the old King has gone a bit mad...
Perhaps its time for the new boys to step up.
CD Projekt has been around longer than Bioware (and was one of the largest european development studios back in the 90's).

Quite an interesting history. [http://www.cdprojekt.com/company.asp?id=g_history]

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
It's been a while since i saw the phrase expansion pack and i welcome it back, the last time i saw proper expansion packs was with Oblivion and a mini sort of one with Dragon Age Origins (i'm sorry but it didn't take me all that long to get through it).

My only wish is now from the witcher 2 is that i could preload on steam lol, because according to them the game isn't released until 2 days 5 hours...5 hours puts it at 5-6pm...then i'll have another 3-8 hours downloading (depending how my internets feeling, and steams servers..), i'm assuming my playtime is being disrupted for the usual reason? american launch time?

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Excellent job CD Projekt, I might just buy your game simply for this fact. Treat your customers right and you will make a damn good profit while keeping the ones who support your wallet happy (us), this is how it's done you greedy bastards (EA, Activision, etc.)!

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
And this is one of the reasons why CD Projekt is awesome and should've at the very least advanced past round one in this year's March Mayhem. Thank you, CD Projekt!

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
Hitman Dread said:
IamGamer41 said:
DLC can be anything from a few new quests/items or new outfits for the players.A expansion pack is like 15 to 20+ hours of new content.See how you should charge for one and not the other?
Except you wouldn't get those few new whatever in most cases if corporations didn't feel they could achieve additional revenue off of it, and wouldn't bother to spend the human resources on it.
Your right but CDPR isn't a corporation.So why not make your fans happy.I would think it you kept your fans happy they would talk about how they get great service from CDPR.Then others who maybe curious about it will check it out.

Your looking at it from a business stand point and it makes since what your saying but honestly is it worth a extra 5 to 7 bucks just for new armor or new skins? Some will say yes others no but those said items wont add any extra play time to a game less you count replays through the old content.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
I love that the times many are talking about making something an expansion not mearly DLC are longer than most full priced, full-games are these days......

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
The more you praise your little gods now, the more you'll cry when the larger gods come along and stomp them out of existence. If this game is a huge hit, just give it time. Taking bets EA or Activision have them scooped up within two years.

wastaz

Mmm...brains...
Nov 16, 2009
I was interested in The Witcher (1) a while ago and bought it on Steam. I'm a big RPG fan, but the witcher didn't really scratch my itch in the right way. It was missing something for me, but I couldn't put my finger on what.

Because of this, I decided not to get The Witcher 2 when I first heard it was coming.

Yesterday evening I preordered and paid for The Witcher 2 from GOG.com.
The reason?
Any software company making games who treat their customers as well as CDP should get paid.
Since they are willing to be such nice guys, I'm willing to give their sequel a chance. If it's still not my thing then I'll at least have "voted with my wallet" and hopefully helped a really nice company who still treats their customers as real customers (instead of treating them like huge moneybags that they can keep hitting).

With that said, I really hope that the witcher 2 is going to be a good game.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Okay, that does it. I don't have a PC capable of running this game (yet...) but damnit, I'm buying this just to support these guys. Do you see that, publishers? I'm giving these people money for a game I can't even play yet because they aren't trying to screw me as a customer.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
r0binh00d said:
I have no objection to paid DLC in the form of a proper expansion or bolt-on content like lair of the shadow broker for ME2. However, having it on day one is similar to mis-selling or mis-representing the product IMO - atleast that's what it feels like. You know, when you go to buy a new car from some dodgy dealer and being told "the car is 1200". But then when you have given over your credit card, the dealer says "oh i didnt mention, the tyres are extra, there is no petrol in the tank unless you pay us, and you will need to pay for tax, mot and insurance. I'll just take the full 2200 right now if that's alright."
I don't know if this works. I haven't seen a single piece of DLC (day 1 or otherwise) that would stop a game from working. To use the car analogy, it'd be like one person driving the standard version while the person who shells out a little extra can get the digital dashboard and built in bluetooth.

The core car is still the same, but one of the drivers decided to take the perks.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
I'm buying THIS game PLUS Witcher One.

TOMORROW!

They have just made a lifelong fan.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Moriarty70 said:
I don't know if this works. I haven't seen a single piece of DLC (day 1 or otherwise) that would stop a game from working. To use the car analogy, it'd be like one person driving the standard version while the person who shells out a little extra can get the digital dashboard and built in bluetooth.

The core car is still the same, but one of the drivers decided to take the perks.
That's not the point about DLC though...

Thing is, remember how in DA1, you had one quest that you couldn't complete until you bought the DLC? That's an annoyance factor. And you ALWAYS had that exclamation point come up, knowing you hadn't completed that quest.

Sure, the game works, but the "more than free" DLC means you have now created two different markets for a good. Valve did it best when making those stamps for maps. The maps are free in TF2, but the extra funds go to the artist and show your approval. Why create an artificial scarcity which requires more funds in a game?

Apr 5, 2008
The Witcher was a great game and when the devs re-released it as the Enhanced Edition it got even better. Now they have experience, a new engine and all the time they wanted to create and polish their game, I think the results will be great. A true PC game, no dumbing down for mass market appeal, no sacrifices to make it work on a joypad or limits on memory or graphics usage it's fantastic to get a true, current gen PC RPG.

Already have it pre-ordered on Steam so looking forward to some Day 1 "White Wolf" action! The free DLCs and hopefully paid expansions are how games should be made, hat off to CD Projekt. Activision can take their £10 map packs and *(&$%" "(*&$(£ up their )*£$(£) and their (&£$*£$£%.

Any idea on whether Triss, Shani or Dandelion will be back in 2? Wonder if it the story incorporates the choices made at the tail end of one, or if it's entirely standalone.