CD Projekt Red Given a Bunch of Money From Polish Government

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
CD Projekt Red Given a Bunch of Money From Polish Government

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1361/1361116.jpg
The Polish government has just awarded Witcher 3 developer CD Projekt Red a grant of $7 million.

Realizing that CD Projekt Red is the best thing to come out of Poland since Kielbasa, the Polish government has awarded the Witcher 3 developer a grant to the tune of 30 million zloty ($7 million US) according to a report from WCCFTech [http://wccftech.com/cd-projekt-red-gets-7-million-government/]. If we look at CDPR's proposal to the Polish government, it tells us a little about what it plans to do with that money, which includes some really cool stuff like "seamless multiplayer".

Here's what the studio wrote:

City Creation
Comprehensive technology for the creation of "live", playable in real-time, cities of great scale based on the principles of artificial intelligence and automation and taking into account the development of innovative processes and tools supporting the creation of high-quality open world games.

Seamless Multiplayer
Comprehensive technology enables the creation of unique gameplay for many players, taking into account the search of opponents, session management, replication facilities, and support of a variety of game modes along with a unique set of dedicated tools.

Cinematic Feel
Comprehensive technology for providing a unique, film quality RPG with open world, also taking into account innovative solutions Process and unique set of dedicated tools.

Animation Excellence
Comprehensive technology enabling a significant increase in quality and production of complex face and body animations for open world RPG games, also taking into account the innovative process solutions and a unique set of dedicated tools.

So there you go! Right now, the studio is hard at work on Cyberpunk 2077 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/cyberpunk%202077?os=%20cyberpunk%202077], and this grant application gives us a look at what we may be able to expect in the game.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://wccftech.com/cd-projekt-red-gets-7-million-government/]

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
"film quality RPG"

The death of CD Projekt begins...

Films suck, and games are higher quality than movies.

(Im exaggerating mostly...I hope, but still, that was a silly comment from them)

Anyways, they deserve it currently, so good for them.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
"Bartek, we've just received another deposit of EUbux, what should we spend it on? More highways? Another train station in Worclaw?"

"Fuck that Janek, let's spend it on video games"

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Saelune said:
"film quality RPG"

(Im exaggerating mostly...I hope, but still, that was a silly comment from them)

I don't know, the lads at CD Projekt seem pretty savvy. Maybe they just put that in there so there is one thing in their application the gov goons can sort of understand.
Gov Goon 1: "Multiplayer? Open world? I don't understand any of these words."
Gov Goon 2: "In that case, just trash it."
Gov Goon 1: "Wait, it says cinematic here."
Gov Goon 2: "Oh, so it's like a movie. I've seen movies. I get those, sort of."
Gov Goon 1: "Movies are good. Application approved."
Gov Goon 2: "What time is it now?"
Gov Goon 1: "9:15 am. Best call it a day I guess."
Gov Goon 2: "Agreed, now let's pat each other on the back for a good days work."

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
"We will create open world games!"
"also taking into account the innovative process solutions and a unique set of dedicated tools."

"We will create multiplayer games!"
"also taking into account the innovative process solutions and a unique set of dedicated tools."

"We will create movie-feels games!"

"We will create characters in games!"

Wow..
Talk about using a lot of text to say nothing at all.
So, they will continue like they always have, but will now get money from the government for it.
Why did they have to make out like they were pioneering all kinds of new stuff?
It's either bureaucracy hogwash or corporate talk.
Neither bodes very well.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Love how wishy-washy this all sounds. It's like they said in a few hundred words what could have been said in ten. I'll summarise what they wrote in ten words.

"We make games that push the boundaries of interactive entertainment."

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I can totally get on board with the idea that CD Projekt just convinced the Polish government to give them $7 million using big sounding words and phrases.

I don't really hold it against the government though. Kudos for funding a good thing. A developer could probably do the same with my government as long as the premise also includes "Art" "Guns" and "Christian Values", art being the least important in that hierarchy but can't hurt being in there.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
I don't begrudge them my money, but I'm not sure this is a good thing. Government money tends to promote mediocrity. I fear this is the beginning of the end.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Vendor-Lazarus said:
"We will create open world games!"

"We will create multiplayer games!"

"We will create movie-feels games!"

"We will create characters in games!"
Anyone getting a whiff of Molyneux from all this?
Or is it just me?

Wow..
Talk about using a lot of text to say nothing at all.
So, they will continue like they always have, but will now get money from the government for it.
Why did they have to make out like they were pioneering all kinds of new stuff?
It's either bureaucracy hogwash or corporate talk.
Neither bodes very well.
Government grants for these sorts of things are not uncommon. Especially when you realize that they likely had a surplus they needed to get rid of. THese agancies that deal with handing out grants have to hand out a certain percentage otherwise the amount they get the next fiscal cyckle will be reduced.

Use it or lose it. The timing seems to point towards that.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
more money to spend on cyberpunk 2077?.. good.. now finish it already!!! ive been waiting since 1990 for this game

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Charcharo said:
Saelune said:
"film quality RPG"

Literature easily ROFLStomps both gaming and cinema.

With that being said, I do not think gaming has reached the levels of cinema's best yet. It will happen one day, but it is not close yet.
I will take gaming any day. Gaming does what movies and books do and more.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I can think of worse things for a government to throw $7 million at than CD Projekt.

Just ask Rhode Island.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Charcharo said:
Saelune said:
Charcharo said:
Saelune said:
"film quality RPG"

With that being said, I do not think gaming has reached the levels of cinema's best yet. It will happen one day, but it is not close yet.
Egh.. I can assure you it does not do what they do, and where there are same/similarities, it loses VERY strongly to both other art forms.

Age of a medium matters. Gaming is NOT inherently inferior, it will one day be their equal in all (it already is as something worthy of respect and potential) but not yet. Perhaps 2-300 hundred years at this extremely fast rate it has been going.
And why then is literature so superior? As a medium that is. Both tell stories, but one is far more visceral and engaging. I much prefer to experience stories than merely observe.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Charcharo said:
Saelune said:
Charcharo said:
Saelune said:
Charcharo said:
Saelune said:
"film quality RPG"

Egh.. I can assure you it does not do what they do, and where there are same/similarities, it loses VERY strongly to both other art forms.

Age of a medium matters. Gaming is NOT inherently inferior, it will one day be their equal in all (it already is as something worthy of respect and potential) but not yet. Perhaps 2-300 hundred years at this extremely fast rate it has been going.
And why then is literature so superior? As a medium that is. Both tell stories, but one is far more visceral and engaging. I much prefer to experience stories than merely observe.
Read my comment again. One has advanced far more, the other... has had 60 years. It is not that games are inherently inferior, they are equal. It is a current grading.

As for why... well I had hope lit classes at school would have been enough to answer that :p :p
Technology advances exponentially. That books are older is irrelevant.

How has literature advanced lately? I doubt they have improved as a medium much for centuries.