CD Projekt Red on Cyberpunk: 2077 Microtransactions

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Well that answer why they even bothered making a MP mode.

I guess its really w/e, maybe the game could have been shipped a bit early if it wasn't in it, but I doubt many people actually care about the MP aspect.

Honestly I though witcher 3 was very average, with writing being the only strong point but story and repetitive gameplay bringing the whole thing down so I don't really care about this. I'm still pretty baffle by how much hype the game has, witcher 1 and 2 were not that good game, so even if we consider 3 as a good game, cdproject only have one good game under their belt, nothing that warrant this being the biggest release of the year.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Cd projekt has earned enough goodwill to give them the benefit of a doubt. I mean they might do something stupid, but they are generally pretty smart so we shall see.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Well, considering there’s only so much gameplay to be had from point and shoot mechanics and first person melee, it stands to reason the rest of the game will need to be on point, which they’ve already proven capable of doing in the past.
They didn't even get 3rd-person walking and running down in their last game, they literally patched Witcher 3 with "alternate movement" because the movement was shit. 1st-person camera and movement is easier to get working smooth but getting shooting to feel good is a whole other thing. And immersive sim/systemic game elements takes A LOT of work to do properly plus good AI and pathing (which Witcher 3 was also poor at). CDPR's previous games feature basically no game systems that interact with each other. Witcher 3 is really simple from a game systems perspective. Hell, I noticed in Ghost of Tsushima that the AI doesn't even know horses are standing in front of them.

Last edited:

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Well, considering there’s only so much gameplay to be had from point and shoot mechanics and first person melee, it stands to reason the rest of the game will need to be on point, which they’ve already proven capable of doing in the past.
There's some pretty hefty bredth of quality you can get from FPS and first person melee.

Like you can have the outright shovelware asset flip level, moving up to something like No Mans SKy which has both but they are barely remedial, pushing up to Skyrim/Fallout, then still pop your way through the good cluster of them until you get up to stuff like Dooms or Dying Lights (respectively, which in itself illustrates the difference because Dying Lights shooting is somewhere in 4/10 area)

Sure, developers have managed solid genre shifts before, but its the exception by a long shot. And there's certainly an argument to make that Witcher at its best never more the grazed the good threshold of moment to moment gameplay.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I'm fine with this? Likely optional cosmetic stuff.

I don't particularly begrudge a dev for wanting to make money on a multiplayer game they've got to maintain servers for while continually updating without the benefit of a continual subscription service to bolster it.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs