CD Projekt Red Says Cyberpunk 2077 Files are Being Held for Ransom

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
CD Projekt Red Says Cyberpunk 2077 Files are Being Held for Ransom

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1361/1361116.jpgCD Projekt Red is facing ransom demands over some early design documents for Cyberpunk 2077.

We haven't heard much about Cyberpunk 2077 lately, but if some shady individuals have their way, some info might leak out soon. In a press release today, CD Projekt Red announced that it was being held up for ransom by someone who had gotten hold of "a few internal files" containing information about the game.

According to CDP, "A demand for ransom has been made, saying that should we not comply, the files will be released to the general public." The company says that the documents in question are "old and largely unrepresentative of the current vision for the game."

CD Projekt Red says that it is "not giving in to the demands," and that it has contacted the "appropriate legal authorities." It cautions fans that "it would be best for you to avoid any information not coming directly from CD Projekt Red."

There's still no word on when we'll hear more about Cyberpunk 2077, but we're hoping someone doesn't leak misleading info before CDP gets its chance to show the game off.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
The irony is that the only reason this might hurt the game is because the people who like CDPR would actually seek this information out, instead of disregarding it to support the devs.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Aetrion said:
The irony is that the only reason this might hurt the game is because the people who like CDPR would actually seek this information out, instead of disregarding it to support the devs.
I honestly don't believe that the fans would go out of their way to actively search for the info.

Now gaming "journalists" are a completely different story. Just think of all the clicks you could generate with alle the "HOT TAKE SUPAH SECRET LEEKZ" articles.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Eh...weak sauce, ransom bastard. Gonna have to do better than out-of-date files to threaten spoiling the game for anybody. Should've robbed the office cat instead.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
Xsjadoblayde said:
Should've robbed the office cat instead.
YOU LEAVE MR. WHISKERS OUT OF THIS, YOU MONSTER!

OT: Goes to show shitty things happen to good devs. Least I can do is comply with their request and avoid the leaks.

Incidentally, I wonder, if you cyber-attack cyberpunk, does that put you in league with cyberskinheads?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Aetrion said:
Well, the worry is that the old out of date info would mislead people. Those loyal to CD Projekt likely wont be dissuaded. Its people on the fence who are most likely to discredit the game cause of the misinformation.

Cether

Mar 29, 2011
Saelune said:
Aetrion said:
Well, the worry is that the old out of date info would mislead people. Those loyal to CD Projekt likely wont be dissuaded. Its people on the fence who are most likely to discredit the game cause of the misinformation.
Let's be real here, as soon as the game releases every game critic is going to play through it. It's going to be big on twitch for a few days, and there's going to be plenty of coverage. CDPR has established themselves as makers of quality things. Anyone "on the fence" wont be dissuaded because someone leaked 2 year old documents a year before the release.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Probably the biggest downside will be a bunch of people complaining that they should've gone with the old documents' design.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
This is why we can't have nice things.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
Pyrian said:
Probably the biggest downside will be a bunch of people complaining that they should've gone with the old documents' design.
Pretty much. Especially after the downgrade controversy of Witcher 3. Some people will want their pound of flesh.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ksn0va said:
downgrade controversy of Witcher 3
Downgrading and optimisation were necessary to get the game to run on consoles.

OT: Let me hazard a guess as to what the design documents include; It's a cyberpunk game. Set in a dystopian future. There will be cybernetic body parts. Shooting. Hacking minigames.

But seriously, they already said they scrapped their earlier work. So the documents are most likely no longer worth the paper they are written on.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
" The company says that the documents in question are "old and largely unrepresentative of the current vision for the game."
When a wannabe ransomer steals and tries to ransom valuable information but rolls a 1.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't something like this happen to Valve years ago (back when they were still a game company and could do no wrong)? Someone stole their code and leaked it. Now granted, that person didn't demand money, but still.

And Valve appealed to their fans and the fans responded. They helped track that person down and he ended up turning himself in if I remember right.
Judging by everything I hear about CD Projekt Red, I can't help but feel that this would happen with them as well. If they asked for help tracking this person down after their stuff is released, I'm pretty sure their fans would rally big time and find whoever is responsible.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
008Zulu said:
ksn0va said:
downgrade controversy of Witcher 3
Downgrading and optimisation were necessary to get the game to run on consoles.

OT: Let me hazard a guess as to what the design documents include; It's a cyberpunk game. Set in a dystopian future. There will be cybernetic body parts. Shooting. Hacking minigames.

But seriously, they already said they scrapped their earlier work. So the documents are most likely no longer worth the paper they are written on.
Witcher 3 ended up being a great game. It's all in the past now, including those old Cyberpunk docs. But you know some people can't let these things go.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
ive been waiting since 1990 for this game and someone dares pull this sort of crap??? thats it who wants to crowd fund a wet work team

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Hang on, this could actually go in CDProject Red's favour. A game in a Cyberpunk setting having it's data held for ransom after being leaked or hacked? That's cyberpunk AS FUCK! If they play their cards right, this will all come up Milhouse for them.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The title of this article, in wake of the WannaCry virus, nearly gave me a full on stroke.

Aug 31, 2012
I suggest hiring a black ops team consisting of chill street operators to go and get the data disk back. No witnesses eh gato? No one messes with CDPRCorp and gets away with it.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Gordon_4 said:
Hang on, this could actually go in CDProject Red's favour. A game in a Cyberpunk setting having it's data held for ransom after being leaked or hacked? That's cyberpunk AS FUCK! If they play their cards right, this will all come up Milhouse for them.
... I like the way you think. It's basically free tongue-in-cheeck advertising.

"The game so cyberpunk its data actually got hacked and held for ransom"

That should be a blurb on the box.