CD Projekt Red Says Cyberpunk 2077 Files are Being Held for Ransom

Apr 5, 2008
It cautions fans that "it would be best for you to avoid any information not coming directly from CD Projekt Red."
Are they actually joking? There is *no* information coming from CDPR, direct or otherwise. I love their games, their pro-consumer ethos and will be buying this shit on release day, but I'll be looking at any leaked documents first chance I get! They could give us screenies, info, anything...they even set up a web site with a supposed "dev diary" that got like 2 entries, showed how the trailer got made, and got abandoned.

I'll take leaks over nothing any day.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Dornedas said:
Aetrion said:
The irony is that the only reason this might hurt the game is because the people who like CDPR would actually seek this information out, instead of disregarding it to support the devs.
I honestly don't believe that the fans would go out of their way to actively search for the info.

Now gaming "journalists" are a completely different story. Just think of all the clicks you could generate with alle the "HOT TAKE SUPAH SECRET LEEKZ" articles.
You very nearly contradicted yourself there.

Who do you think would be providing a lot of those terrible, terrible clicks?

If journalists did that they would be doing it because, as you pointed out, there would be demand for it.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
ffronw said:
CD Projekt Red says that it is "not giving in to the demands," and that it has contacted the "appropriate legal authorities." It cautions fans that "it would be best for you to avoid any information not coming directly from CD Projekt Red."
That seems like the sensible way to deal with this. In any case, what is the worst that might happen. Some information gets released earlier than CDPR would have liked?

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
The penultimate worst that could happen is if they had the overall plot arc planned out at the start already. The worst that could happen is if they did a rewrite because of the leak.

PS. double plus worst if they hire Mac Walters to do a rewrite.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Given the slew of "ransomware" that recently passed through Europe, I was concerned this might be... something much worse.

Trying to extort some money for some old files, no longer in use? Meh. CD Projekt has made the appropriate announcement, and hopefully tightened their security to prevent anything more significant from being stolen. I don't see that they need to do anything else; it seems likely that damage will be minimal. Hell, it might even fall under the "no press is bad press" adage; how long has it been since there's been a significant news piece or interview on the Cyberpunk game?

The would-be extortionists are still scum, mind you.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
Seems like another Disney advertising stunt given that they refused to pay, and the files were not leaked. Rule #1 when blackmailing is to never fail to deliver on your threat. Hackers did not steal Pirates 5, and I doubt they stole CDPR's files. Besides if this is such early work and non-indicative of the real game, why bother admitting you still cannot manage your security properly?

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Callate said:
Given the slew of "ransomware" that recently passed through Europe, I was concerned this might be... something much worse.

Trying to extort some money for some old files, no longer in use? Meh. CD Projekt has made the appropriate announcement, and hopefully tightened their security to prevent anything more significant from being stolen. I don't see that they need to do anything else; it seems likely that damage will be minimal. Hell, it might even fall under the "no press is bad press" adage; how long has it been since there's been a significant news piece or interview on the Cyberpunk game?

The would-be extortionists are still scum, mind you.
significant news? nothing since the teaser trailer

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
One up um - release what they were planning to leak or better - explain why and ensure they can generate 0 interest from their work

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Are these idiots demanding bitcoins too or are they a completely different buncha' nutjobs?