Certain Pre-Owned Games Can Be Blocked on the PS4!!

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
If the Publisher chooses it! [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pre-owned-games-block-on-ps4-is-a-publisher-decision/0111344]

That's right, Sony today finally clarified it's statement on Pre-Owned Game Blocking, after days of saying "No" and "Probably not", they have said that "Publishers can use Pre-Own Game Blocking Technology on our system". This means that certain games coming from Certain Publishers (I'm gonna go ahead and say EA) can not be bought and played if they were pre-owned, and that you have to buy these specific games new.

So, any thoughts? Does this change your opinion of the PS4?

greenice

Apr 7, 2010
That article is misleading. They didn't say "Publishers can use Pre-Own Game Blocking Technology on our system" they said:

"On possibility of PS4 blocking used games

When you purchase the disc-based games on PS4, it should work on any hardware. So that's what I'm saying."

and:

"On activation codes for secondhand PS4 titles

It's a publisher decision. We are not talking about it. Sorry."

That was taken from the original article on Gamespot, and it basically means that a publisher can put in a code with each game, sort of like on PC, but that's all on them, it doesn't say Sony are providing them with the infrastructure to do so, or that they approve.

Please check the source of articles and read properly before overreacting.

Anyway I don't think they're stupid enough to implement such a system since it would basically ruin them, either way I'm waiting for a more certain declaration.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
I'm not sure Gamestop will be happy about this. Also, I don't think many developers will go through with it. It might alienate consumers, annoy fans and less people would be able to play their game.
It's not up to the developpers , that's the thing. It's up to the publishers .

OT: As long as i can still buy my games new at 30$ after. Month , i don't mind . But this will kill any chance of being able to buy old PS4 games when they are out of print. Which sucks for the consumers but the publishers won't care about that anyways .

Jmp_man

Apr 24, 2011
Assassin Xaero said:
Mr.Mattress said:
(I'm gonna go ahead and say EA)
Valve did this LONG before EA did, and yet people still praise Valve like they are God and bash EA. Go figure.
Convenience > Price
People are willing to pay more for something if its easier to obtain. (ex: Having something delivered to your house rather than picking it up)

Luckily, Valve has both convenience AND price which in most people's minds is a good enough reason to give up their ability to sell stuff back.

Edit: Of course I'm not saying it's a justifiable reason just that people are satisfied with what they got so they really don't feel the need to refund. (Of course you could always complain for a refund.)

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Sounds like they're really pushing digital sales. They want to move to an all-digital medium to exercise greater control over the consoles people buy.

I wasn't going to buy a PS4 or a 720 anyway but they just keep giving me more reasons not to. They're trying to force a paradigm shift in their favour and it's not going to happen.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
So, basically, publishers are still capable of doing a thing that they have always been capable of doing on any system with internet connectivity, but people really want to be able to make an attention getting headline (or forum post title, as the case may be) out of it.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
ClockworkUniverse said:
So, basically, publishers are still capable of doing a thing that they have always been capable of doing on any system with internet connectivity, but people really want to be able to make an attention getting headline (or forum post title, as the case may be) out of it.
Holy shit somebody actually used logic and pointed out the bullshit that is this thread.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Little Gray said:
ClockworkUniverse said:
Holy shit somebody actually used logic and pointed out the bullshit that is this thread.
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize third parties had the ability to block Pre-Owned games on the WiiU, Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3. Oh wait, no, they didn't, they could only do that on PC's before hand...

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Mr.Mattress said:
Little Gray said:
ClockworkUniverse said:
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize third parties had the ability to block Pre-Owned games on the WiiU, Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3. Oh wait, no, they didn't, they could only do that on PC's before hand...
No, actually, they could most definitely have done that via activation codes/online check-ins.

They just didn't. Because that would have been pretty stupid of them to do. And still would.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Valve did this LONG before EA did, and yet people still praise Valve like they are God and bash EA. Go figure.
You mean serial numbers? I'm pretty sure Microsoft were the first to use this DRM. No DOS game had them (some of them had worse things), so Windows 95 probably used it first. When Valve did it with their games it was already common practice in PC gaming. Those serials weren't that harmful since you could always install it on another system with the same serial number.

If you mean Steam (a serial number can only be used once on one account), then you're right, but many Steam users such as myself prefer it due to the awesome sales.
Does Gamestop give you back 75% of the original game's price when you trade it in for store credit?

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Well you can region lock games on the PS3 its just most dont bother, its not exactly good PR for a company to restrict their games if it comes back on them and their choice to do it or not I think most realise second hand games are not hurting them that much.

Razzie.Putin

Feb 20, 2011
Doom972 said:
Does Gamestop give you back 75% of the original game's price when you trade it in for store credit?
I'm pretty sure in some cases you can get more by giving your games to Goodwill than Gamestop pays at times.

Not being a Steam user, I gotta wonder though, based on what you said there... Does Steam give you anything back? For deleting the game? Selling rights to play? Anything? Or are you just pulling that comment out of nowhere in some wierd attempt to prove a point?

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
I would have no problem if the PS4 or the next xbox blocked used games if that meant the prices for buying games NEW dropped to $30 or less. Perhaps each game would have 2-3 "8 hour trial" codes to where you could take it to a friends house and let them play for a while, and if they liked it, eventually by the game themselves.

The only reason games are so expensive now is to rake in as much money from the early adopters before those used games start showing up. As for PC, most people wait until there is a good sale, knowing that while they still bought a game they can't sell, they only bought it for $15-25.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Actually, people gave Steam a ton of shit at first. The thing is, they locked people into it by necessity, and so the Cult of Valve will do everything in their power to justify using something that is everything they claim to oppose, even if it means claiming it is not what they oppose.

Valve is good. Valve is great. We surrender our will as of this date.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Razzie.Putin said:
Doom972 said:
I'm pretty sure in some cases you can get more by giving your games to Goodwill than Gamestop pays at times.

Not being a Steam user, I gotta wonder though, based on what you said there... Does Steam give you anything back? For deleting the game? Selling rights to play? Anything? Or are you just pulling that comment out of nowhere in some wierd attempt to prove a point?
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I was talking about 75% sales. There's no way to resell in your games on Steam.
I meant that the sales are a trade-off for not being able to resell your games.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Actually, people gave Steam a ton of shit at first. The thing is, they locked people into it by necessity, and so the Cult of Valve will do everything in their power to justify using something that is everything they claim to oppose, even if it means claiming it is not what they oppose.

Valve is good. Valve is great. We surrender our will as of this date.
Nope, sorry. Google already owns me so I cannot surrender to Valve. Not without a license deal. And Valve will have to enter a code.