CG's Annual 2021 Best and Worst of the Year!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
All that’s got nothing on Metal Gear, where you’re expected to memorize dozens of…screens, where the only difference is color scheme and placement of obstacles. Nothing is labeled and there is no map, so you basically combine the worst of each of the above and smash them into one masochistic game.

I ultimately decided to go back to finish Wolfenstein: TNO after farting around for a couple nights looking for a damn bomb blast suit with zero progress.
Yeah, as someone who likes the MG series, the first one is the only one I'll probably never play again because of how clunky and painful it is to play sometimes, and with very little of the interesting plot, humor and metanarrative the later games have(Other then Big Boss telling you to turn off the game off to stop you from finishing because *DUM DUM DUM* He's the bad guy.)

Even MGSV which has a lot of problems and is very over-long has the redeeming gameplay to keep it interesting.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
All the more reason why I never cared for Metal Gear. I do remember playing Solid 1 and 2 as a kid, but I was stupid and had a lot more time back then.

Actually that's interesting to think about. A lot of classic games were actually designed like shit because they were likely expected to be played by kids with loads of free time. A lot of old school game design that lead us boomers into claiming that gaming is dumbed down, is more likely because games are better designed and therefore you spend less time being stuck on stupid shit.

Hehe you’re not wrong. They didn’t have anything else worthwhile to fill games with besides inordinate levels of challenge, because technology wouldn’t yet allow it.

Cool graphics? Keep dreaming.
Awesome sound? Fuck off yo.
Fluid animations? Fun mechanics? Detailed game worlds full of secrets and design philosophy that encourages exploration? Wtf century do you think this is, dickheads?

Yeah, but I guess beating games back then were worth bragging points, or something. For nerds. Taking the nostalgia glasses off can be painful sometimes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
ACG. You're a cool dude, but Returnal is was not the only successful 3D bullet hell shooter. Vanquish would like words with you. Okay, it bombed on arrival, but did a whole lot better with the re-releases.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
ACG. You're a cool dude, but Returnal is was not the only successful 3D bullet hell shooter. Vanquish would like words with you. Okay, it bombed on arrival, but did a whole lot better with the re-releases.

Is there any reason why he couldn't have combined a few of these videos into a single video instead of shitting out a bunch of short videos all at once? Seems like milking for Ad revenue imo.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is there any reason why he couldn't have combined a few of these videos into a single video instead of shitting out a bunch of short videos all at once? Seems like milking for Ad revenue imo.
When the system is so dead set on crushing the little guy, because he or she don't have a million+ subscribers, I can see where he's coming from. I know last year he was able to do most of the stuff in one video, but with the way YouTube is structured now, it makes things worse. I honestly don't mind in this case, because it's the system is the blame of why he's even doing this in the first place.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
When the system is so dead set against crushing the little guy, because he or she don't have a million+ subscribers, I can see where he's coming from. I know last year he was able to do most of the stuff in one video, but with the way YouTube is structured now, it makes things worse. I honestly don't mind in this case, because it's the system is the blame of why he's even doing this in the first place.
But isn't the Youtube system driven by watch time? Which favors longer videos? I remember back in the day people wanted their videos to be 10mins, but as more and more popularity of podcasts and shit peeked, the meta shifted into having videos at least 30mins long and the more "watch time" your videos generate the better you get promoted.

I feel like these really short videos don't actually help him. And i really don't feel like a guy who has been pumping out videos for 8 years and has been keeping himself afloat through youtube for that long, can't be called "the little guy" anymore. Especially when he gets most, if not all, games early for review purposes. Most publishers think he is important enough to provide review copies which means imo he's "made it" and he gets decent views on almost everything.

i just don't like the idea of spaming someone's subcription box. If you want to do a short video series, then do 1 video a day. Not 4 videos today alone so far.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
This has just made me realise I played hardly anything that was released this year. Metroid Dread, Little Nightmares 2, the Ancient Gods Pt. 2, and Death's Gambit: Afterlife. Only 4, and except for Dread, they're not even big titles.

2020 was a much bigger year for me, and it looks like 2022 will be too.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This has just made me realise I played hardly anything that was released this year. Metroid Dread, Little Nightmares 2, the Ancient Gods Pt. 2, and Death's Gambit: Afterlife.

2020 was a much bigger year for me, and it looks like 2022 will be too.
2021 was one of the biggest "meh" years I've seen in a long time. Which is understandable considering.

2022 looks bat shit crazy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But isn't the Youtube system driven by watch time? Which favors longer videos? I remember back in the day people wanted their videos to be 10mins, but as more and more popularity of podcasts and shit peeked, the meta shifted into having videos at least 30mins long and the more "watch time" your videos generate the better you get promoted.

I feel like these really short videos don't actually help him. And i really don't feel like a guy who has been pumping out videos for 8 years and has been keeping himself afloat through youtube for that long, can't be called "the little guy" anymore. Especially when he gets most, if not all, games early for review purposes. Most publishers think he is important enough to provide review copies which means imo he's "made it" and he gets decent views on almost everything.

i just don't like the idea of spaming someone's subcription box. If you want to do a short video series, then do 1 video a day. Not 4 videos today alone so far.
Two of his videos are from yesterday, and there are two that came in today. I'm not a big fan of this either, but he rarely ever does this. Trust me, it's one of the reasons why I had to stop subscribing from DSP and some other YouTubers back in the early 2010s. Hell, I unsubscribed from Godfather Dictator a few months ago, because he was spamming nothing but Ninja Gaiden videos in my subscription box. Dude loves that game to death. Cool person, but that's content that gets boring really easily.

And while yes, ACG has over 700,000 subscribers, he still gets a lot of his money from patreon. And I wasn't referring to him as a little guy, but I was more so referring to a lot of people who don't have even 100,000 subscribers. And even nowadays that's not considered enough for YouTube in many cases. He'll be back to doing long videos soon, so it's not that big a deal. Plus, he always does podcast that lasts about 2 or 3 hours on Fridays.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Trust me, it's one of the reasons why I had to stop subscribing from DSP
HOLY SHIT you used to sub to DSP!!!!???? HAHAHA no wonder you hate everything! Big oofs buddy :D :D :D.
And while yes, ACG has over 700,000 subscribers, he still gets a lot of his money from patreon. And I wasn't referring to him as a little guy, but I was more so referring to a lot of people who don't have even 100,000 subscribers. And even nowadays that's not considered enough for YouTube in many cases. He'll be back to doing long videos soon, so it's not that big a deal. Plus, he always does podcast that lasts about 2 or 3 hours on Fridays.
I think the key thing for a creator to thrive now, is to be on both Youtube and Twitch tbh. If you are going to create content for a full time job you need to diversify yourself as much as possible. Twitch income, Youtube income, and Patreon should all be running. It doesn't take much to generate good patreon rewards especially if you Twitch stream because you have have Patreon only Multiplayer events and stream those event which basically double dips on the patreon rewards.

Looking at ACG's patreon rewards I'm actually pretty impressed. I have been trying to stream for a while but I can't figure out a good way to use OBS and stream elements correctly, and having someone walk me through it actually sounds like a good investment for a month or two.

Reactions: Fallen Soldier

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Well, year is almost over, so might as well. I mean, there's technically still half a day left, but tonight there's other fun activities on the menu. That said, it's been kind of a slow year, innit? At least it was for me. Spent most of it playing older games, great for backlog reduction. So not a whole lot of 2021 releases played, most of which were pretty solid, but unlike previous years, none of them really surprised me with their excellence or provided me something I wanted but didn't know I wanted until I received it. On the flipside, I've also not played any real stinkers, with one major exception,just ones that were fine but that I expected more from.

Ok, fine, jeez. Let's just start with this year's losers, in no particular order:

The Losers of 2021
Balan Wonderworld

The only truly bad game I played this year, bot howdy is it bad. I tried the demo for an hour, and Iif I could, I'd sue Squenix for damages for that hour, it's that bad. At a conceptual level, this is actually not that bad, but the execution of every single idea is so excruciatingly poor, if you told me this was the product of 1st year game design students, I wouldn't believe you because they can do better.

Control
You're put in charge of an expy of the SCP Foundation, tasked with containing all kinds of eldritch anomalies that may end the world. Very cool concept, but unfortunately, the game doesn't really do much interesting with it. It looks really good, and it has one really fun level, but otherwise is mostly a rather boring third person shooter, and that's before you discover that telekinetically chucking shit around is the win button.

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door
No, really. I know this game has a vaunted reputation as one of, if not the best Mario rpg, but I'm not seeing it and while I initially liked it, I ended up sorely disappointed by the end. It's got charming visuals and kind of fun characters, but actually playing the game is often imo such a slog. For every fun section is another overlong one of going back and forth between two characters/places on opposite ends of the map, doing the same basic platforming and fighting the same groups of enemies, over and over.

Resident Evil Village
Another one I found disappointing, even if it's pretty much RE4 with tig bitty vampire dom, bigass mouth baby and, huh, that's really all I can recall about it. I remember is a fine enough game, but just lacking in memorable standout moments, whether running away from a boulder, suplexing medieval monks, or dressing up like a Chicago gangster and moving everything down with a Thompson machine gun.

Neo The World Ends With You
I liked the first game a lot back in the day, but I bounced off this so hard. Didn't really like the combat system, nor the characters or plot progression, nor the kind of cheap presentation. Soundtrack is neat, but songs repeat from the beginning so often, you keep hearing the same 30 seconds, and it gets super grating.

The Winners of 2021

Mother 3
This game also has a reputation. And it imo actually lives up to it. It is a beautiful adventure that is excellently paced and never feels like you're just doing stuff to pad out the runtime. It's battle system is simple, yet elegant, and the gameplay offers lots of little touches that just make it a fun to play. But above all, it knows how to pull those strings, heartwarming at one point, gutwrenching at another.

Metroid Dread
I love me some metroidvania, and Metroid in particular and this scratches all the right itches, offering plenty of opportunity for exploration of its maps and mechanics, all wrapped up in a package that looks very good for Switch and runs near flawlessly. Zero Mission is imo still the best of the series, but Dread represents a welcome return to form.

Persona 5
Killer soundtrack, slick visuals oozing with style, a fun combat system and an engaging cast of characters. While I felt the final section of the game kind of dropped the ball, I overall consider it a top tier jrpg with a wealth of content and enough pizazz to actually want to do as much of it as I can.

Monster Hunter Rise
It's Monster Hunter World, my goty for 2018, but with a bunch of quality of life improvements and rideable doggo and crappling hook that offer a lot of new mobility and combat options. That said, I still rate World a little higher since it introduced me to the series, and thus has novelty on its side. Rise, while overall a better game, never occupied as much mindspace due to diminishing returns.

HITMAN
Kind of sucks that the progression is tied to an online system, but other than that I had a ton of fun replaying missions over in all kinds of ways, just to see what kind of ludicrous shenanigans I could get away with while still completing the objectives. I do hope part 3 will make its way off the Epic store and onto Steam or anywhere else sometime.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
My GOTY is Inscryption. It's also, I think, the only game released this year that I played. It does deserve the recognition anyway.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Control wasn't amazing, but I wouldn't call it a loser. I really liked the environment and backstory and the gameplay wasn't deep by any stretch but I did like flying around level chunking shit around. I do feel like that particular game was the least interesting game they could have made in the "control universe", couldn't care less about the brother and I think it would have been more interesting to play as a regular agent doing missions.

To me, P5 does belong in the loser category, hated most of the cast, the only one I actually liked was Futaba and once your done with her chapter she just fade in the background (and to punish me from enjoying a character, the chapter after is focused on Ryuji and the cat, dropped it not long after). I also really didn't like the story, it seemed like they ran out of idea after the first case and I was constantly thinking "why are we even bothering with this?". The framing device of it being an interrogatory was also completly wasted and the "mystery" of who betrayed you was insulting. The pacing was all wrong since there were no system that limited your time in dungeon so you could easily finish them the first time you went, so the game was just long dungeon section followed by long social section instead of a nice mix of both. The social power/utility you get from the link are way too good so if you don't do certain person asap you severely limit how much you can do, which suck cause some of the social link are hidden in obtuse way. The style and soundtrack are great, but can't rescue the rest of the game, I rank it far below P3/4.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
True enough, although I was inclined to forgive it since it was in the PS360 generation when cell shaded games seemed all the rage.
Cel-shading was all the rage back in the late 90s and 2000s. Dishonored does not use cel-shading. It uses stylized shaders from the Unreal 3 Engine, but not actual cel-shading. There are plenty of games that still use cel-shading, but it is mostly from Japanese developers or indie developers.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
When the system is so dead set against crushing the little guy, because he or she don't have a million+ subscribers, I can see where he's coming from. I know last year he was able to do most of the stuff in one video, but with the way YouTube is structured now, it makes things worse. I honestly don't mind in this case, because it's the system is the blame of why he's even doing this in the first place.

Guessing that’s supposed to be “dead set on crushing the little guy”?