Chalkboards. Anybody see them anymore?

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
We have these awesome smart boards, they're kind of like projectors, but they project images from a computer, you can write on them, and they can function seperately from the host computer.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
I haven't seen a chalkboard since I left primary school. My secondary school and college uses white boards with projectors now.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
Mostly whiteboards.

Also I HATE chalk, I can't stand the feel of it on my fingers. It's even worse when I had to write with it, urg.

atalanta

Dec 27, 2009
I go to a well-known private university and with the sole exception of a design class I took freshman year, every room I've ever had a class in has had a chalkboard. Sometimes they'll have a smartboard as well, but yeah, chalkboards are pretty standard around these parts.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Yes, see them all the time. Never understood why they still call them balckboards when they are usually green nowadays.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Yup, the lecture theatres have roll-up chalkboards. With screens to pull down if the lecturers want to use powerpoint.

Xender90

Apr 6, 2009
My dad works for a college. The administration decided to take his chalk boards away and he told them he would quit if they removed them from his class room. he likes chalk boards because they still work, the new and improved computer run displays are frequently malfunctioning. so far his are still here but most of the other class rooms no longer have chalk boards.

kelnadine

May 18, 2008
I haven't seen a chalkboard in a long time. They were even going out of use when I was just starting school, and that was the 90s. I'm glad, though. Everybody hates the sound of nails on a chalkboard, right? Well, just writing normally on a chalkboard is like that to my ears, always has been. I don't know why.

laserslasher

Jan 14, 2009
they're still pretty popular, from what i've seen in many universities around the U.S., as well as at my local community college; they have chalkboards in pretty much every room, sometimes even alongside white boards. why? i don't know, but it just is o.o

at my high school though, all whiteboards. i actually like writing with chalk, especially the noise it makes when you write with it (tap tap tap)-- then again, this is coming from a guy who loves the sound keys make when you're typing. :D

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
my school uses those fancy new "smart boards" like the ones they used on mythbusters, but yes, we do have a few chalkboards from time to time.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Yes, some if the older classrooms in college still had those, in my old high school they still have those too.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
The majority of the boards in my school are chalkboards. I don't think my school has more than maybe two whiteboards.

However, pretty much every teacher has a SmartBoard, even the ones who would never use them. Most teachers continue to use the chalkboards, overheads and such regularly. Way to use the taxpayer dollars.