Challenging Survival Games

snowpuppy

Feb 18, 2011
cataclysm, It's pretty decent post apocalypse rougelike. Guns are a mixed blessing and are very dangerous to you without a silencer.

Nero18

Jul 5, 2012
Greyhamster said:
Miasmata. It's on sale right now on Steam. It's like Far Cry if you took out the guns and the mercs and the animals. Just you, a disease, an island, your knowledge of herbs, a piece of paper to make a map with and some horrible monster.
Miasmata is really great, if anybody wants real hardcore exploration thats the game to go with. One of the best games of the year.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Seeing that Amnesia is already mentioned, may I suggest Penumbras by same developer?

Shintsu2

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think the game really HAS to have the sleep/hunger/thirst stuff more that it's just particularly interesting when they do. I suppose too many needs to manage would become a Sims survival game. Still the most important things I think are scarcity of guns but high effectiveness when found and things along those lines. I'm surprised we still don't have any major game developer making a game with survival in mind, but I suppose the small and/or indie studios are doing a fine job of making them as it is.

Oct 10, 2011
I dont think it is exactly what you are looking for, but Rebuild and Rebuild 2(I reccomend the second more) are great survival games, however, they are not shooters. If you want a strategy based survival game, play Rebuild 2. You get control of a few survivors of a zombie apocalypse, and you must manage holding the fort, expanding it, maintaining food supply, and getting new survivors to replace the ones that die. I am a strategy game veteran but I still had trouble surviving on this game on the SECOND highest difficulty.The best part? They are free browser games, but they have the quality to be worth at least $20 each.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
Somebody mentioned Cryostasis and I have to back up that suggestion. It's a first person shooter with some horror elements, and some puzzles, and also on sale at GOG.com. There aren't that many guns in the game and the ammo is fairly scarce, especially for the better guns. I've quite conservative with my ammo and I can't say I was ever awash in ammo, though you do get to tote around a whole bunch of weapons both close combat and guns.