Champions Online Free-to-Play Begins January 25

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Trying to 1up DC universe, Cryptic?

Regardless, indeed good news. I can heartily recommend Champions Online if it is free. For leveling up, it is a perfectly fun MMO.

Only problem is for longer term play, serious pvp imbalances start showing up past level 10, and there is no end game. If those two problems had been fixed, I might still be playing it.

If they try to micro-transaction you gear, I'd say no because gear was meaningless and it was a pretty easy game even with green gear if you research your chosen abilities even a little, and there was hardly any difference between green and purple gear anyway.

If they have cool costume pieces for sale, that is of course a different matter.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
It's all fun and games until you're level 20/61, out of free quests, and grinding hopelessly.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Perfect. Timing.

I'm looking for a solid F2P MMO, and LOTRO is pretty good. But Champions is looking better to me.
LOTRO isn't F2P, it just has an overrated free trial. You get the starter zones for free, that's it. You'll be out of content inside a week. It's a good game, but I don't think it's fair calling it F2P.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Cool. I played some Champions last summer, I lost interest pretty quickly but it was still a neat game. Maybe I'll poke around in it some more now that it goes F2P.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I was in two minds whether to get this or not, as I normally play "free" MMO's (Guild Wars). But this has made me make up my mind to get it!

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
The only good type of free game is one where you can't purchase packs that will make the game unfair.
Also I doubt the game will be for mac which kinda sucks :/
Soooo it's pretty much like all the other online games that are "free" but really the idea of subscription just makes the game unfair.
There's plenty of games like this.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Sigh. By all mean I want to play it but I don't think my pc can handle it (I was able to play it from the free weekend but my pc sometimes had to put the graphic to safety mode). It also the fact that I got my mates to join me so we will be a team but I know one of them will bug me to play it.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Sure, why not? I don't mind trying a free super hero MMO. We can ever create an Escapist super hero league. I can be your leader. Bow down!

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
I might give this another look since it's free, but my experience was it all goes downhill once you get out of character creator.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
its not completely F2P... it has Gold and Silver Accounts... and tbh, the Silver account has almost none of the features that make Champions Online a good game. i dont recommend the free version at all, but if you want to make a character whos powers are all chosen for you (which is pretty much what WoW is come to think of it...) then, try it out i suppose... the strategies that come from mixing builds and cherry picking useful powers for whatever youre trying to do, make it interesting... not just the character creation.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
Well, I must admit it has perked my interest. I've been curious about this game, but the only MMO I'll shell out $15 a month for would be WoW. I will certainly be rolling a character when this goes to F2P for experimental purposes.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
MaVeN1337 said:
For the last time, When a game goes "Free to play" you aren't playing the game, your playing like 1/6 of it, Then, They start that micro transaction shit, And you end up paying more than you would if you just shelled out $14.95 a month.
Interesting, I've been playing DDO 4 months, spent $50 and have every bit of content unlocked as well as all the convenience items I'm ever likely to want. Plus I've enough points over to buy the next couple of updates.

As for CO it's a weird one, the major holdback is the vastly more powerful custom characters which you aren't even allowed to buy.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Sweet.

This was a great MMO, I loved it. Good graphics, fun, amazing customization.

I wish the console version wasn't canceled... :(

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
I hope it's fixed now, it was released buggy, unfinished, unpolished, and imbalanced. Crafting was terrible and didn't make much sense, there was lag, no sense of direction for where the characters were going, boring quests, some abilities were ridiculously strong others with no use, same with some classes.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Rationalization said:
I hope it's fixed now, it was released buggy, unfinished, unpolished, and imbalanced. Crafting was terrible and didn't make much sense, there was lag, no sense of direction for where the characters were going, boring quests, some abilities were ridiculously strong others with no use, same with some classes.
The last time I was in there, it wasn't. And it didn't look like they were very concerned with doing anything to fix it because they were too busy working on Star Trek Online.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Antari said:
Rationalization said:
The last time I was in there, it wasn't. And it didn't look like they were very concerned with doing anything to fix it because they were too busy working on Star Trek Online.
You mean the other unpolished, imbalanced, unfinished game with the non-existant crafting system? Sounds familiar.