Changing a Lifestyle and loving it

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
So I recently decided im not going to be fat anymore and have been going to the gym 5 days a week for about 5 weeks now I also decided to change my entire eating habits and eating better.

Its working so amazingly I have lost 9 pounds so far in the time of writing this and I feel great

I'm not using a diet for how I eat I am just eating better and not eating at wrong times like skipping breakfast every day and eating before bed.

So I ask this my fellow escapists what have you all changed in your life and loving the outcome of it or hating it in some cases?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Veldie said:
Its working so amazingly I have lost 9 pounds so far in the time of writing this and I feel great
Congrats. I know how it feels, I've been doing the same for the last year and a half, and exercising daily for the past six months.

It can be some tough work, but the results are undeniable. I've lost somewhere in the ballpark of 90 pounds since the summer of 2012, and I'm definitely feeling more energetic and confident about everything. I finally worked up the self-confidence to reapply for university, though I'm incredibly nervous that I'll get passed over since I may as well have not even existed for the past four years for all I've done since graduating high school. But if I get in, that'll be another massive change to my lifestyle, since I'll technically be independent for the first time in my life, which has been a long time coming at this point.

Being terrified and excited at the same time is quite the interesting experience, as it so happens.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
Congrats on your progress. I did something like this for about 8 months, counting calories (I dropped carbs when I realized high-fat high-protein was more filling on a limited calorie budget). I dropped a peak of 124 lbs, from 300 to 176. Then... stuff happened. A lot of stuff, actually, so watching what I ate kinda dropped in priority, in favor of "fuck it, everything else sucks, plus I'm still ugly after dropping all that weight, so I might as well eat whatever I want." So I'm back up 200 lbs. I keep telling myself I'll get my act together, but so far, outside of a couple day spurts, no dice.

So basically, you've gotta stick with this stuff; there's a bunch of science about why people regain lost weight so easily, which boils down too "your hormone levels go wonky since your body thinks it's starving, so it starts lowering it's caloric needs and upping your hunger, basically forever." Now, in my case, a good chunk is food as substitute for happy sort of deal, hormones or no, but even without that, it can be tough to maintain a substantially lower weight.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Similar success story to you OP! I was an extremely skinny person until a poster in this forum made the compelling argument of "Why NOT hone your body to at least an acceptable level, the only reason not to us apathy". And frankly that rung with me. At the time I didnt really appreciate it but whoever you are dear poster you challenged me to change my lifestyle.

I started hitting the gym, I ran long distance, ate more protein and started doing daily pull ups. Im now pretty average build, im gaining muscle and I made the ski racing team last week. Theres no reason not to people! Apathy is the most boring emotion :D

Plus I look WAY better shirtless now. So theres always that :p Its alright to indulge in a little vanity, I mean i decorate my room so I feel happy in it and at home, i live in this body until i DIE for peats sake, might as well make myself comfortable.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I used to go running every night. That was about an hour every evening where I had nothing to do but stew in my own bile. Exercising is automatic so it didn't function as a distraction from my thoughts. I tried wearing headphones but after a couple of minutes I'd tune the music out. As I got my pulse racing I'd get really angry and anxious, and after I'd worn myself out I'd get depressed, and I mean worse than usual.

So anyway, I cut that shit and started drinking and smoking. It's done wonders for me.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
tilmoph said:
"your hormone levels go wonky since your body thinks it's starving, so it starts lowering it's caloric needs and upping your hunger, basically forever." Now, in my case, a good chunk is food as substitute for happy sort of deal, hormones or no, but even without that, it can be tough to maintain a substantially lower weight.
I'm using food to stop that the whole cheating thing helps if you do it only once a week same day every time it counters that so your body can't get used to it. My cheat day is Monday as I'm always off work then so I can enjoy my food.

My friend showed me all this stuff and has been helping me with it.

Month is split into 2 phases
Week 1-2 Cardio
Week 3-4 Muscle Building

Once a week I hike a local mounten
Once a week I go to the pool

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
Decided to buckle down and get ready to re-up my Security+ cert and get ready to take my CCNA exam in a few months.

Won't see much out of any of it for another 9 months or so, but it will clear out my schedule to get some more college in before I leave the Army.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Since I have always been skinny and started working out 7 years ago to bulk up I can't share a similar story.

I did however just change up my education completely and went to molecular biology and I am loving that if that counts.

If not I will just congratulate you on a healthy change of lifestyle. Exercising is very important to me and it really makes you feel more energetic and it gives you the good kind of worn out when it wears you out.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
I've tried to do this several times, but I can't bring myself to do it for very long because I find basically every exercise SO GODDAMN BOOOOOOOOOORING, and I always end up postponing exercise for something I actually want to do. Hell, even when the results are great, I end up stopping because of boredom. I lost 30kg in a relatively short time, and not even that gave me enough motivation to continue.

It's fantastic that it works for you, though.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I had a vegetarian week a little while ago. I liked the food and all in all it was a perfectly fine way to spend my time.

Estranged180

Mar 30, 2011
Are you still trying to eat 3 square meals a day? If you are, don't. It will work against you. Instead, try eating what could be called a 'diabetic diet'. Quite simply, is less food more often through the day. Here's how it works. In the morning, you have breakfast. What you have is kind of irrelevant, As long as it's not 6 lbs of bacon on a bacon plate. Just make it sensible. Not the full out breakfast that you see in commercials. Those don't make sense. Then go about your day. Mid morning comes along, between breakfast and lunch. Have an apple, or other piece of fruit. Lunch: have a sensible lunch. Between lunch and dinner, have a rice cake. Thankfully, these things come flavored. Then have a sensible dinner.

Note, that's not 3 square meals a day, that's 3 sensible meals and 2 snacks in a day. Oh yea, and plenty of water. Some would suggest 6-8 cups a day. If weight loss is what you're attempting, and it is, try at least a gallon and a half a day. Yes, you'll piss like you've never pissed in your life, but your kidneys will thank you for it.

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
Congrats on your progress! Be safe and good luck.

I very recently had a long overdue epiphany about my life and quit my nursing education. I'm currently looking like crazy for a temporary job, pretty sure I'll find something within a couple of weeks, and this fall I'm starting my journey to become an engineer instead. Also I'm learning (very slowly, but steadily) how to not get so emotionally attached to people or their opinions. Basically, I'm starting to let go of all my anxiety and trusting in my own capability. First time ever. It feels awesome.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I was never overweight, but I did make a change in my eating habits, in that I cut down on the amount of junk food I ate and increased the amount of fruit and vegetables that I consume as well as making a slight increase in the amount of exercise I have per week. I have trimmed down a little bit and I feel more energetic and a lot better about myself. I still go out and have pizza or go out for burgers and whatnot with friends from time to time, but they aren't staple parts of my diet any more. Another thing that I have changed is that I have decided to make my surroundings more organized so that I found it easier to locate things, and I must say that it has worked wonders. I really enjoy my new environment and I am not spending copious amounts of time looking for books and things, so I have more time to get things done.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Best type of diet to go on is a "don't eat until hungry" diet. I've tried the eat all day things, you often times eat because 'its time to eat' instead of, 'i'm actually hungry' and you end up over-eating (in terms of trying to lose weight).

eat when you feel those INTENSE hunger pains that make you groan. Which should only happen twice a day. Early in the morning, and later in the afternoon. (eat small amounts, and healthy food)

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I gave up masturbation 57 days ago. It's been a stressful time but I've been much more successful with the ladies as a result.

IronSkape

Feb 23, 2014
Veldie said:
So I recently decided im not going to be fat anymore and have been going to the gym 5 days a week for about 5 weeks now I also decided to change my entire eating habits and eating better.

I'm not using a diet for how I eat I am just eating better and not eating at wrong times like skipping breakfast every day and eating before bed.

So I ask this my fellow escapists what have you all changed in your life and loving the outcome of it or hating it in some cases?
Great job! Huge props for figuring out that the key to weight loss is eating better and exercising!

If that sounded condescending, it totally wasn't. Seriously, you knew what to do, and instead of feigning ignorance and looking for a shortcut you were all like, "I'ma do this shit" and indeed did that shit.

As for me, I downloaded DuoLingo on my phone in an effort to learn French, because why not. So far after a month, I can tell you how to eat your two red dresses, which I guess is progress.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Recently I've been volunteering to work into an apprenticeship, and holy shit doing a full day of work to get to sleep before or just after midnight is so nice.
Admittedly the first month or so was incredibly tiring and I was basically overcome with massive apathy when I should have been relaxing but now my bodies getting used to it and I'm feeling good.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Great job OP!

I've been trying to lose weight, with little success. To be honest I am just lacking motivation. Being away from my dogs I'm finding it harder to think "Right, well I'll just go on a nice long 2 hour walk, then!" and I know doing that daily will help me slim back down to what I used to be.

I moved out last year. It is a huge change for me. I feel a lot more independent, it's very hard though because I'm still unemployed and while I'm hating that part of it I love everything else. I feel a lot more free, I don't have to worry so much about waking someone up just because I want to get some water from downstairs, I don't have to worry about my light being on after 9pm. I can make noise after 9pm now! I know that sounds a bit strange, and something small but to me it makes a huge difference since nighttime is when I'm more active. I miss my family a lot. It's been nearly over 2 months since I last saw them in person, and I'm missing my pets insanely, but overall I'm rather happy here.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I tried it a long time ago, and I lost nearly 8 pounds in 1 month. Then I just got lazy and it fell apart. I also tried it again another time, but it only lasted a week. I am moving out this year, so I think that'll help me kick things into gear. Relying on my own food supply and money, being in my own place, and the like... I just feel like that'll be one of the key differences. I doubt I'd able to afford snacking like I do now when I live on my own. Around that time is when I plan to try again and hopefully lose some weight~

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I've lost around 20LBS in the past month thanks to going on a diet and some limited exercise.

You'd be amazed at how much weight you lose when you stop having soda and fast food every few days.