Changing my name (Yes I'm serious)

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Hopefully whoever you see to try and have your name changed to any of these ridiculous ideas recognises that you are not worthy of actually owning a name. You will be stripped of any name and forced to wander the earth as a nameless one, undying and unacknowledged by the rest of humanity. An outcast, a ghost, forever alone.
On the upside you'll be immune to "true name" magic, so there's that I guess.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
Gods, the hate in this thread is sickening me... I mean, if it was a teenager I could understand, warn them and make sure they know the risks, and even though most of the posters tones would be out of line. But this guy is old enough to have tattoos and a well paying job, don't fucking talk down on him like he was a child. He has clearly thought about all this, and he wants to change his name.

Good on him I say!! Good on him!!

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Where's the option for none? Seriously, I would advise against any of these. They seem far too 'out there' and while you may like the idea now, what about ten or twenty years down the line? A radical change like any of these really does seem like something you would kick yourself for. My suggestion: don't do it. It's a bad idea. Plain and simple.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Frieswiththat said:
Where's the option for none. Seriously, I would advise against any of these. They seem far too 'out there' and while you may like the idea now, what about ten or twenty years down the line? A radical change like any of these really does seem like something you would kick yourself for. My suggestion: don't do it. It's a bad idea. Plain and simple.
Don't know if you missed the memo but a change of name isn't permanent, in fact, in my state/country you can change your name once every 3 months.

So If I do kick myself in 10 years time, it's 15 minutes of paperwork, 4-6 weeks and I'm back to my old name.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I can't give you any opinion on the actual names. I guess Vegetta is pretty cool, but none of them sound awesome to me. That's assuming you're not joking, of course. But hey, if you are serious then cool.

But people here seem to forget you can just change it back if you regret it. I honestly don't know why they give a fuck. I mean, they're right when they say employment and love life will be horrible for ya, but still.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
dragonswarrior said:
Gods, the hate in this thread is sickening me... I mean, if it was a teenager I could understand, warn them and make sure they know the risks, and even though most of the posters tones would be out of line. But this guy is old enough to have tattoos and a well paying job, don't fucking talk down on him like he was a child. He has clearly thought about all this, and he wants to change his name.

Good on him I say!! Good on him!!
This is pretty much my response too. So many people still posting about how it'll hurt him somewhere down the line, when he's already posted (several times now) that he's already down the line and clearly doesn't care. All the more power to him.

If your response is just something like "don't do it son it'll be bad if you have a silly name" from this point, perhaps reconsider posting it, since it's clear by now that he's not gonna be swayed haha.

And if something like a silly name does actually hurt him later on, I'm sure he can deal with it when and if it comes to that.

As for my vote: 4, "Legato Kaiba". Trigun ftw. XD

RandomMan01

Sep 18, 2012
I'm not terribly partial to any of the names... but hey, it's you choice man.

Anyways, since you seem to like the idea of Vegeta, but don't like the first name Prince, mabye you should change it to Vegeta Prince. It's a bit awkward, but if you don't want to be called Prince (and eventually you will be called that by someone who doesn't know you as well), that's one way to go.

Either that or change your first name but not your last.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
We've already gone over employment, I'm 23 this year and currently earn 91k a year + bonuses in a regional manager position so let's just let it go.

The love life thing is mildly comical to me because I think any girl that I get close enough to would have already had to overcome all the Video games, Anime and pop culture tattoos which are in very visible areas and I doubt also having a video game or anime name would be the deal breaker.

Not to mention I could still just use my old name in those situations IF it really came down to it.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
This is probably going to be one of those threads...

The names are retarded but you already made your choice so no point in arguing, you should have just thrown a dice and see what number came up instead of asking for an opinion on the internet for such a idiotic subject since the opinion of "What the fuck, man" was obviously going to be the majority here.

wottabout

May 4, 2011
Of course, we are looking at this list from the perspective of a bunch of massive nerds. Darth and Prince would definitely get some attention, but most people would look at the other names and just assume that you're foreign. I mean, a few music players might think Legato was weird, and maybe someone would recognize Yggdrasill as the tree of life, but I imagine most would just be like, "Hello Mr... ig-dray-zil... would you be interested purchasing LongTimeLiving Life Insurance?" Then again, I live in the US, so I dunno how people might react in Australia.
My votes are for Siefer Almasy and Legato Kaiba.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Kaiba, you crazy mofo.

Captcha: Brick House

That'd be a good wrestling name Captcha, but I don't think that's what he's going for.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
pro-tip:
look up some badass dude in history you admire, name yourself after them in homage.

If I had to change my name, it'd be Piet Hein, being dutch 'n all that.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Whatislove said:
Frieswiththat said:
Where's the option for none. Seriously, I would advise against any of these. They seem far too 'out there' and while you may like the idea now, what about ten or twenty years down the line? A radical change like any of these really does seem like something you would kick yourself for. My suggestion: don't do it. It's a bad idea. Plain and simple.
Don't know if you missed the memo but a change of name isn't permanent, in fact, in my state/country you can change your name once every 3 months.

So If I do kick myself in 10 years time, it's 15 minutes of paperwork, 4-6 weeks and I'm back to my old name.
Fair enough. Although I certainly wouldn't go with any of those except Siefer, if you were to just change your first name. But if you are deadset on those, then Siefer Almasy seems like most sensible option. People who would understand the reference would probably appreciate it, and those who don't get it will just think it's fairly normal, if uncommon, name.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Combustion Kevin said:
pro-tip:
look up some badass dude in history you admire, name yourself after them in homage.

If I had to change my name, it'd be Piet Hein, being dutch 'n all that.
Essentially I am naming myself in homage, it's just the people I admire don't tend to be real :p

All of the characters these names reference mean something to me.

Besides, the only badass dude in history I admire is Emperor Qin Shihuangdi and I have my reserves about naming myself that

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I vote for number 3, assuming that you are actually going to do it number 3 is the one that I think sounds the most like a real name

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Whatislove said:
I didn't choose the first name prince because I like the name prince, I think it's stupid, I chose the name Vegeta but needed a full name, for which Vegeta has none, he only has a title which is Prince - So Prince Vegeta is the name choice, not prince and as explained earlier, I would introduce myself as Vegeta or Prince Vegeta but not prince by itself;
Vegeta's last name is "Breigh", as revealed in "The History Of Trunks"; an extra episode that took place in between 175 and 176.

Unlike others, I think you should name yourself whatever you want. I don't care, whatever makes you happy. Just keep in mind, it might be off putting to people.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
You will regret this. You will. But oh wait, you 'don't care' about people laughing at you or their opinion to begin with. Try to live through constant mockery for a year or two. Have fun changing it back. Good on you. Learn from this mistake. Or don't make it at all.

KelDG

Dec 27, 2012
I was speaking to a group of people in a pub when I was at college. One guy, looking extra proud of himself, introduced himself as Lestat, I laughed, called bullshit and he showed me his driving license. He was not lying, he actually legal changed his name to that. I once again laughed and said no your name is Dave, to which all his friends laughed and said "yup, that was what he used to be called", while Dave sheepishly looked at the floor, feeling quite foolish.

Starwars names? Really? You might find your self in a situation as above more often than you might think. You should choose a name that means something to you, or someone you aspire to that stands out in history. Definitely not something George Lucas decided to call a character after he mashed the keyboard with his forehead.

Whatislove said:
Essentially I am naming myself in homage, it's just the people I admire don't tend to be real :p
It is easy to be awesome in fiction, harder and more rewarding to be that in real life, think about that when you are "looking up" at these "people"

Capcha : bees knees... something you will not be calling your self Chubaka