Character classes you hate

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
The "safe" character. The one that has some decent ranged attacks, some decent melee attacks, mediocre health and is hard to counterpick that well.

Ryu in UMVC3 (and I suppose SF as well but i've never played those games) for example. He is the boring piece of shit ever. So glad everyone dropped him online for some reason.

I dislike the very, very pure support characters as well. The ones that can do nothing to defend themselves should they be stuck in a bad spot without their team close by to help.

Soraka in LoL is my most hated support for this reason. I get she is useful but if one more person claims she's OP i'll have to disown you. I'm looking forward to her visual update though... Kinda odd since they're not changing her abilities at all.

If we're going passive heal-y supports give me Sona every day. Soloing the AD Carry all day, every day. Oh did I get caught out of place while warding? LOL JK lvl 3 movement speed boots + Cresendo = see ya later fuckers!

Leona is a weird one because she relies on her team so heavily for her damage (you ever see a Leona doing tons of damage it's her Sunlight passive not her actual abilities) but she can handle herself so easily because she has possibly the most amount of hard CC on one single Champion and her Eclipse is practically God Mode.

I also hate tanks who have no damage. I don't feel right about playing a character with no damage overall. I will like anyone who has an initiate though, it's like the Fuck This Button.

*gets sick of the pokey team dance*

"Follow me chums! LEEROOOOOY JEEENNNNNNKINNNS!"

Lady Lucky

Bullet Dodger
Sep 4, 2012
I used to not like mage classes so much... takes a while to cast a spell, meanwhile the baddie you're casting a spell on comes up and stabs you.
But Dragon Age Origins came along and changed my mind, I still like tanks better but I have a little more respect for the mage.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Fighter/barbarian/warrior/equivalent. I'm not a big fan of just the generic front line run-of-the-mill fighter for the same reason I don't create human character in fantasy games if I don't have to, their boring. They are just kind of there, with no real special qualities and place, just filling the cannon fodder of battle. That's not to say that I dislike them, only that its at the bottom of my list of interesting classes.

BroJing

Sep 16, 2010
I think alot of the problem people point out with classes is actually in how they're played.
(Ok maybe not the monk because you're right anyone who tries to kungfu a band of trained fighters with armour and weapons is going to get stabbed up)

For example:

Clerics: These are only boring, preachy and Christian is you play the absolute most lazy version. A cleric can be a representative of *any* God or Goddess. In D&D there even (used to be at least) were rules for swapping out turn undead for deity-specific gifts. For example I had a priest of Tymora (Goddess of Luck) in a FR game whose special ability was a D6 table of random 'lucky' events that could happen to him some of which were completely useless in battle (The Ogre swings his club at you *roll* ...You find a penny momentarily before he bludgeons you).

Druids: Again, only really boring if played in the most stereotypical way possible. If you read the backstory they are supposed to be True Neutral. That means they should be constantly trying to maintain balance specifically to keep the world in its current state (can be interpreted as actively working against progress). That means you have a guy who could switch sides on you at a moments notice and not even have the decency to do an evil laugh about it. Also, people forget that there is nature in cities and underground and personally I'd find someone controlling a horde of diseased rats pretty freaking terrifying.

Bards: While the standard bard is a foppish lute-carrying minstrel technically the bard can be anyone who learns songs/stories and travels to spread them. Good example? The Viking Skald. This is a axe-wielding warrior who is the repository for the great sagas and heroic songs of his people who constantly seeks out adventure to write new stories that he can shout at the top of his lungs during battle to inspire his fellows. Best example from reality? Egil Skallagrimson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egill_Skallagr%C3%ADmsson

So yeah, in my experience there are no bad classes just bad, boring interpretations.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Bards and Dancers... I get them, I really do... status changes to the enemy, or buffs to the good guys... but seriously... a character that is useless on their own? What is the gorram point!? :/

Hmmm... on a side note, I wonder if it is possible to beat FFV with only bards and dancers? 2 of each! :p

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Blue mages . Limited spell potential , must get hit by spell first . If they had a Huge variety of spells to learn MAYBE, but i don't like the concept of having to get hit by an spell to learn it . Example , to learn the spell "Death" ( usually lvl 5 death depeading on what you play ) you must get hit by death first , how the hell does thay work?!

To a lesser extent red mages ( or spell swords) . Sure they sre usefull at lvl 1 but more you go on , more they are less than average . Jack off all trades master of none . I rather excell at something than be average at everything .

Don't even get me started on bards . Just no .

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I love necromancers but games can never seem to get it quite right, usaully either you or the minions will be useless so that your not too OP, I enjoyed Psykotics Necromancy mod for Skyrim though, that was something I did necromancy well.

I also tend to dislike stealth based classes, if it's a stealth game then that's great but otherwise I dislike things like rouges and bards.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
DoPo said:
Clerics - most of the time they are just so-o-o preachy. And annoying. And...Christian. Nothing against Christianity, but, come on, just have more variety in larger amount of works. A cleric of Zeus, anyone? Or a cleric of Thor. Or some worshipping Cthulhu. Or, I dunno, fuck it, make them worship Thursday. Make it happen!
You mean "Thor's Day"? ;)

Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Bards and Dancers... I get them, I really do... status changes to the enemy, or buffs to the good guys... but seriously... a character that is useless on their own? What is the gorram point!? :/
Yeah, any class that exists purely to assist always seems a bit pointless to me. But maybe I'm just not a team player.

KINGBeerZ

Apr 22, 2012
Maybe not so much against the class, but I really hate warriors with swords, mostly because in 90% of games in which you don't make the protagonist they will always be a warrior with a sword, it's just gotten so bland. Give me an archmage any day.

ACM_Shadow

Aug 6, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Soraka in LoL is my most hated support for this reason. I get she is useful but if one more person claims she's OP i'll have to disown you. I'm looking forward to her visual update though... Kinda odd since they're not changing her abilities at all.

If we're going passive heal-y supports give me Sona every day. Soloing the AD Carry all day, every day. Oh did I get caught out of place while warding? LOL JK lvl 3 movement speed boots + Cresendo = see ya later fuckers!

Leona is a weird one because she relies on her team so heavily for her damage (you ever see a Leona doing tons of damage it's her Sunlight passive not her actual abilities) but she can handle herself so easily because she has possibly the most amount of hard CC on one single Champion and her Eclipse is practically God Mode.

I also hate tanks who have no damage. I don't feel right about playing a character with no damage overall. I will like anyone who has an initiate though, it's like the Fuck This Button.

*gets sick of the pokey team dance*

"Follow me chums! LEEROOOOOY JEEENNNNNNKINNNS!"
Soraka... try pure ap (offensive) soraka, solo'ed a talon 30 mins in (very funny, my mate was screaming to "run the OTHER way" the whole time), starcall is still fun as. Agree with your tanks, bromumu+Leona ftw. (my general tank quote is "Fuck this/it"-> dives into 5 man team)

Edit: "Support" in LoL, i shall support my team by getting items, killing the enemies, and giving you a shield/heal that does more then the base amount. after all, if my enemies are dead, then they can't harm my team, 'cept bloody teemo. you wouldn't believe the rage i get when my sona comes out with 50+ CS and 3/0/7 by 20 mins, people complain i take all the farm, and i proceed to /ignore

OT: i generally hate the basic soldier/warrior, not because i dont like playing them, but because almost every class in every game can beat them.

Bards as well, because i dont want to play music (sona excluded) i want to feel the POWER of magic/weapons.

Monks because a great melee damage dealer that usually has some form of heal and/or mass cc is fun, why pick barbarians/zerkers.

also any magic class when there is a spell use limit, i get cooldowns, but i want to use superOMGDEATHLAZER! more then once per week

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I don't dislike any class in particular, but they all have their cliches. I tend to dislike assassins, because people always cast them as awesome, death dealing, trench-coating badasses. But every class has their own cliche. Big muscular barbarian? Do-gooder Paladins in shiny armour? Slight, tall rangers? It applies to races too.

My one piece of advice is that if you make a viking dwarf with an axe, or a haughty elf with a bow, just stop right there. Just stop and rethink how boring you're being.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
The Warrior..... i don't know it always feels like such a bland class. coming from a Lvl 36 warrior Tauren :D

i never found a ability that was like 'damm thats awesome'. Druids can turn into a BEAR nuff said

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Every time I see a quiz on this site that thinks rangers are a versatile class, my jaws drops in disbelief. Rangers are the most situation-dependent class in the game; too many of their class features only work in specific environments or against specific enemies.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I dig multi-purpose Druid, I dig perverted corrupted, chaos-y Cleric/Priest. I don't get pure magic. It bores me. I don't get warriors/barbarians/orcish brutes. They're a major turn-off to me.

I have/had some paladin tank guys in many a game, but the moment I am allowed to wield sharp and pointy weapons that draw blood, I stop playing them.

The witch doctor in Diablo III I considered to be pretty crap well before I got tired of Diablo III. I like necromancers in theory, actually playing them does not make me happy (beyond riding a fire-breathing black stallion from hell).

Sometimes I have fun with dwarf characters. I really liked my dwarf hunter in WOW. Had to make him male though, because female dwarves are pretty meh. What's a dwarf without a beard.

In real life, my stance is to shoot, maim and kill any thieving bastard.

In roleplaying, I always seem to end up with a rogue character, no matter the mechanics or system involved. It's just how I play these games. Nightelf rogue in WOW, screaming half-naked northerner rogue, sneaky catface rogue with nightvision, mostly magic-centered red eye elf thing rogue in Skyrim, in-your-face overlord rogue in Amalur, back-stabbing rogue-ish magic user wielding huge ass greatswords in Dark Souls...

Back in the days, it was fun to have a bard in the gang, as his merry songs could empower the whole party or do fun things to/with the enemies. As a dedicated, FPS experience, I don't think it would be much fun. Oh, great, we enter battle. Hold on, my lute is a bit off. OK, ready. Me me me... and one, and two...

As for monks... dunno. It's mostly Buddhist-looking Kwai Chang Kane fighting monks I've seen so far, and they plain don't tingle my tastebuds. In Wizardry (Bane of the Cosmic Forge et al), I liked Samurais and Ninjas as additions to a balanced party.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
I dislike western MMO's and stuff like D&D so my opinion does not cover them but Monks are awesome in most I have played rpgs. My mains in FFV, VI and Tactics were Monks becaus ethey have great support abilities and have beastly damage.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Hate is such a strong word. Every archetype has it's own cliches, but I don't think that's inherently bad. I prefer character uniqueness to manifest itself through unconventional personality so I have no problem with something boring like slender elf rangers or bearded dwarf axe wielder.
If I had to pick, I generally dislike when we're supposed to accept warlocks, necromancers and assassins as good guys. I have difficulties trusting characters that manipulate demonic energies, summon demons and raise dead. Makes for some interesting party interactions though :)
Oh yeah, and paladins generally piss me off.

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
Bards. I can understand swashbuckling pirates, but one bard who sings when your teammates are fighting? Is there anyway that could look badass?

Druids are kind of silly, but I don't dislike them. They can shapeshift remember?

Rogues. They're not designed for group combat, and they're lone wolves by nature. And really, you're just hiding from people, and that's not very manly a'tall.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Shaman I just don't like. I just find them a bit boring. I didn't find abilities that made me giggle with power. I just don't really like support classes that much, like the ones in League of Legends I don't like.