Character Development in Video Games

May 22, 2007
gameloftguy said:
I would suggest Automatic Meat might want to go and see if he can find an open ended game like Arcanum.
Been there, done that. But it's nice to see someone else at least knows the game enough to recommend it.

I mean your examples only listed the very worst that an RPG could produce not the good that can come from one so it is a very slanted point.
I did bring up Planescape: Torment as an example of good, classic storytelling.

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
One of the best ways to develop characters, as I've found, is to shove them just one step ahead of being an avatar, i.e. the "Dr. Freeman" method. Giving the character a name and just a few background tidbits, and players quickly develop their own mental/emotional script for the character to follow.

Of course, this method is really only effective in a game that tells its story in pretty much the same way as HL2, i.e. placing focus on the background characters (Alyx et al) and the setting (what the hell is happening), with the story carefully paced and delineated every step of the way. In that manner, even when players create their own script, it tends to turn out in a surprisingly similar fashion, thanks to the fact that everyone tends to do the same things over the course of the game anyway.

The "Dr. Freeman" method is actually quite interesting and somewhat unique to the mute protagonist, in that it doesn't really ask players to accept the character of Gordon outright, only to step into his HEV suit. The character of Gordon is shaped by the individual encounters and situations in the game and how the player acts or reacts to them as they plod along the rails.

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
Truthfully, the Dr. Freeman method mentioned above doesn't work for me. It's not that I'm unimaginative, far from it. It just seems...dull when a character doesn't react to his environment at all. I prefer a stylish dialogue (spellcheck says dialogue is wrong...huh?) and a decent variety of actions, emotions, moods, and the way he or she interacts with the other characters.

It's just like a character in a novel. Actually, here's a test. Imagine your favorite book that has a main character. Now imagine that he or she doesn't do anything except walk around and do stuff people tell them to. He or she has no emotion, never speaks, but doesn't have a quiet personality, mainly because he or she has no personality. Would you enjoy the book as much in this new "Dr. Freeman" novel? I would absolutely hate it, but maybe it's just me.

Chilango2

Oct 3, 2007
Well, that's because novels are *primarily* about a story, whereas games are at their core a rule system with achievable goals or interesting things to do. They don't need story at all. (Tetris, and other puzzle games, no story, many other genres have a similar lack, but do not suffer from it). I like a good story a great deal (RPG's are on of my favorite genres..), but again, depending on the purpose of the game, its not necessary. A shooter type game does not require as much story, certainly, although it generally does help to provide some context for ones actions in order to make the objectives one is achieving more meaningful. Within this context, the "everyman" character makes sense, he is a blank space the player inhibits as the story unfolds around his, his lack of a differentiated personhood serves an attempt to make the game a "1st person" experience, as opposed to being in the position of a semi-omniscient third person controller of the characters, and it works because the player is controlling the silent Everyman.

In short, it's a mode of storytelling that only works within the medium of a game, and while it's valid not to enjoy that mode of storytelling, criticizing it by pointing out that it wouldn't work in a different context is to miss the point.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Unholykrumpet said:
Truthfully, the Dr. Freeman method mentioned above doesn't work for me. It's not that I'm unimaginative, far from it. It just seems...dull when a character doesn't react to his environment at all. I prefer a stylish dialogue (spellcheck says dialogue is wrong...huh?) and a decent variety of actions, emotions, moods, and the way he or she interacts with the other characters.

It's just like a character in a novel. Actually, here's a test. Imagine your favorite book that has a main character. Now imagine that he or she doesn't do anything except walk around and do stuff people tell them to. He or she has no emotion, never speaks, but doesn't have a quiet personality, mainly because he or she has no personality. Would you enjoy the book as much in this new "Dr. Freeman" novel? I would absolutely hate it, but maybe it's just me.
You know this is true when the biggest Half-Life 2 fan on the board (me) agrees that Gordon has no personality. But there's a lot to say about the other characters.

But it starts to seem to me like just about every character in a game is a SOLDIER. Marcus Fenix! Jericho squad! Private dontrememberhisname from everywargameever! Even John from Bioshock was raised to fight...

Greatest starting point for me might be you, playing as a newly hired research assistant, going home from work with new co-workers, holding a conversation until suddenly something bad happens, the car crashes, and you end up with a gun.

SERIOUSLY! NO MORE SOLDIERS!

Alex Karls

Aug 27, 2007
I couldn't agree more.

Also, I think that one of the strongest elements driving real character development are the characters that you get to interact with. I love Episode 1 and Episode 2 because you have an interesting NPC along with you the entire time, and they just won't shut up. I absolutely love that.

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
"[E]veryone's favorite emotionally oblivious mute, Gordon Freeman."
The only experience I have with that kind of thing would be Link from the Legend of Zelda series, I suppose I should go pick up The Orange Box to find out all about this mystery man whom you play as.

Alex Karls

Aug 27, 2007
Spinwhiz said:
Actions speak louder that words
What exactly do you mean, though?

If you're saying that words, as in dialogue or story exposition, aren't as good as just having the player act through a scene, then I'd say your idea, while neat, isn't practical. Games aren't about choice and freedom in your actions. They're about overcoming obstacles.

I'm personally hoping that developers start learning from the past in order to make games where you can influence what's going to happen, instead of just being an AI killing machine.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Spinwhiz said:
Actions speak louder that words
False, and unfortunately many game developers agree with you. You may notice in a game like Quake 4, in order to accentuate scenes establishing the setting, the soldiers are often waving their arms in a direction (You and Clarence head that way...) or very visibly raising up their arms (Well I don't see no colonel anymore!) Less is more in this situation, as long as it's not just nothing at all. Many of HL2's gestures are very small and hard to directly notice; just like a small shoulder movement or something. Most important, however, are the facial expressions and VOICE ACTING.

Yerocha

Nov 3, 2007
Personally, I've noticed that the most important aspect of a character is the attitude and emotion that character brings. The best characters I can think of can bring a certain mood to their given situation, while many of the other characters have a sort of personality but no attitude and, therefore, end up merely walking along spouting one-liners of their choice and considering themselves cool or angsty. The best way to actually give a character attitude seems to lie with the voice actor, who can improve the style of any character if they can make it appear that the character has actual feelings, whether they adhere to them or not.

Also, one thing I dislike is in certain lower graphics games where a character is forced to yell out exactly what is going on around them in order for the player to know ("Why are you kicking me there?").

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
I prefer it when the character I am given to play as has as little actual personality to begin with as possible, that way, the way I play them defines their character not some forced personality that doesn't reflect my actions at all. I like it especially if I am given choices as to how to complete missions/quests which allow me to develop the character. But then again as appeared in the recent Portal review Gordon Freeman in the first Half-life is one of the better videogame characters simply because all you get is his name and that he's an MIT graduate the silence of the character alongside the great atmosphere of the world forces the imagination into action.
For NPCs their dialogue and voice are very important, a character with a deep story is no good if they relate that story in a poor way. Looks if done well can help a character.
One of my favourite videogame NPCs is Lucien Lachance from Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood questline. I'll always remember his first line and the sneer on his cowled face as he said "You sleep rather well for a murderer" Lucien Lachance was completely 'unsympathetic' characters in any game yet he has his own fansite - http://lucienlachance.net/forum/.

LordOmnit, get the original Half-life as well, if you can look past the old graphics its a really good shooter.