Character Loyalty

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
I'm not sure if it counts, but in X-COM: Enemy Unknown/Within and Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 my patriotism has been known to override my better judgement and I have been known to field entire Australian squads in the former and vast fleets of Multigunner IFVs in the latter. The Multigunner in particular has a special place in my heart.

As I said, I'm not sure if it counts, but I couldn't think of anything else. If I have a choice of characters and companions I like to change it up, bring different people along, see what they have to say, even if I hate them.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Every time I start Darkstalkers 2 or 3 I think "I'm gonna play as someone other than Lei-Lei.", I almost never do. Part of that is because she's my favorite character, part it is that I find her the most fun gameplay wise.

Worgen said:
Alcaste said:
Freya in FF9. No matter what, she's always in until the very end. Sure she could stand to be fleshed out more, but there's just something about her that makes me use her in every playthrough.
Fucken agree. I always had her with me and she won the game for me, the rest of my party was down and she only had one hit left, she was in her super form so she got a few attacks up in the air, her last attack before she came down and would be killed, took out the last boss.
Same here. It annoys me how the game seems to just shove her aside and give us Amarant and say "Ok her story's over, you like this guy now!" Also she should be on the cover, not that so edgy Ronald McDonald.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
In Europa Universalis 4, there are particular countries that I like far too much, so I will usually over-step boundaries to protect them from annexation and such. Brittany and Venice are the two most prominent. I'm usually rather sympathetic towards Byzantium, even though a majority of the time they are doomed to fail.

Does this count?

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
Catfood220 said:
People always slag her off, but Nephenee will always make my team in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn. I don't know peoples problem with her, sure she sucks to begin with but level her up and she kicks ass.
Wait, what? People hate Nephenee?! Both myself and my other close friend who plays FE games worship at the altar of Nephenee. I didn't realize there was anything but the utmost love for her. She is the best non-lord character in the whole series, bar none. (A far as lords go, I love Ephraim and my friend loves Hector. But that's beside the point).

Anyway, when I was much younger I loved the original characters, so in Super Mario RPG I always went Mario/Mallow/Geno. Of course, the "best" team is Mario/Geno/Toadstool, but fact is Mallow is almost universally hated, and when I played the game he reminded me a lot of myself, so I used to always try to run with him.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
I tend to play as Lucario in Brawl. Marth in Melee.

I usually play as Mitsurugi in Soul Calibur.

Phoenix Wright in MvC. Rest of the team varies though.

I almost only play with Naoto Shirogane in Persona 4 Arena.

In Mario Kart I usually play as Rosalina, or a regular Koopa if Rosalina isn't available.

In the Naruto Storm series I usually play as Sasuke (despite my hatred for the character himself). Used to be Kabuto, but not much anymore.

In multiplayer Sonic Battle 2 I usually play as Shadow. If Shadow gets taken I then play as Metal Sonic.

In the Dragon Ball Z games I like to play as either (sword) Trunks or Frieza.

In Pokemon I always have a Gardevoir on my team, the rest can vary.

In Dissidia I mainly play as Cloud and the Warrior of Light.

In Final Fantasy VII I always keep Tifa in the party whenever possible.

In Dark Souls I always join the Chaos Servant faction, entirely because of the Fair Lady.

And I guess I'm loyal to a certain TYPE of character as well. In if there is a yandere love interest, I always go for that one.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
In Baldur's Gate 2 I always save room in my party for Imoen. She's not the best character by far and there are numerous more deadly companions to have around, and yet there she is every time. I just think she adds too much to the story having her around to want to ignore her, plus she's just a fun and thoroughly useful companion to have around even if she isn't a perfect one.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Ah I'm the kinda dude who sticks closely to his fav characters and has trouble letting them go in games like rpgs unless it's my 4th playthrough and I'm trying something radically different.

Off the top of my head here's a few:

Final fantasy IX: Steiner (fav character of that game)+Freya (her dragoon class really appealed to me)
Final fantasy X: Auron (i think he is universally loved so no explanation needed here)
Final fantasy 7: Red XIII (I don't care that he has the worst ultimate limit break)+Cid (whose final limit break is 2nd/3rd best in game after Cloud and maybe Tifa depending on your views on big breasted mini skirt wearing hotties suplexing and dolphin punching giant world destroying monsters)

Mass effect: Garrus (no explanation needed), Javik (rasta alien man)

Smash Bros: Link. I like his jack of all trades fighting style and had terrific fun playing him against friends using every trick in my arsenal and throwing everything including the kitchen sink at my foes before finishing them off in melee.

Tekken: Steve Fox (I like his boxing fighting style)

Mortal Kombat: Johnny Cage, Jade. Cage is a character I'd hate in any other game but it's hard to dislike such a cocky and arrogant character in a game where you die in the messiest of ways when you feel they are a bit too much ;)
Also he punches people in the groin.
Jade...I dunno I always liked her ever since mk3, guess her fighting style strongly appeals to me, I like keeping my enemies at medium range and withering them down with well timed strikes and harassment.

Soul Blade series:
Siegfriend/Nightmare: I like knights and I like oversized swords, I also like to have a range advantage, so yeah siegfried is my man.
Mitsurigi: 2nd choice, his combos feel really natural to pull off for some reason, this is the character I pick when I want to play more tactical.

Dead or alive:
Bayman/Leon: Not usually fond of grappling characters but Doa grapplers are the exception. I prefer Bayman/leon as characters over Bass and Tina thought.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
MrPhyntch said:
Catfood220 said:
People always slag her off, but Nephenee will always make my team in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn. I don't know peoples problem with her, sure she sucks to begin with but level her up and she kicks ass.
Wait, what? People hate Nephenee?! Both myself and my other close friend who plays FE games worship at the altar of Nephenee. I didn't realize there was anything but the utmost love for her. She is the best non-lord character in the whole series, bar none. (A far as lords go, I love Ephraim and my friend loves Hector. But that's beside the point).
I know, it doesn't make sense to me either, but I have seen people on this site and others not like her. I can't remember exactly why, but I think it has something to do with her stats not growing properly after a certain point or something which I always thought was pretty dumb as like I said, level her up and she kicks arse. But there are people out there that don't like her.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Frankster said:
Final fantasy 7: Red XIII (I don't care that he has the worst ultimate limit break)+Cid (whose final limit break is 2nd/3rd best in game after Cloud and maybe Tifa depending on your views on big breasted mini skirt wearing hotties suplexing and dolphin punching giant world destroying monsters)
My first party (back when I hated Tifa) was Cloud Red XIII and Vincent but Vincent has the worst limit breaks in the game (including ultimate) although your right Reds arent great later on either. Barret has the best limit break potentially in Ungarmax (he is in my opinion also the best character with his natural 9999 HP potential amazing ultimate weapon and limit break and hes long range) followed by Yuffies Doom of the Living (both level 3) then of course theres Clouds Omnislash close behind and then I think its Cids Highwind. Tifas is not very good later on shes a mid game power house but her limit break lets her down end game but it looks the best if you hit all the reels imo and suplexing Ruby and Emerald weapon is awesome.

[quote/]
Soul Blade series:
Siegfriend/Nightmare: I like knights and I like oversized swords, I also like to have a range advantage, so yeah siegfried is my man.
Mitsurigi: 2nd choice, his combos feel really natural to pull off for some reason, this is the character I pick when I want to play more tactical.

Dead or alive:
Bayman/Leon: Not usually fond of grappling characters but Doa grapplers are the exception. I prefer Bayman/leon as characters over Bass and Tina thought.[/quote]

Seems we have similar tastes here you like Siegfried and Nightmare pretty much for the same reason I do I also like how he hits like a truck but isnt super slow also in SC1 his cannon ball move looked so hype I really hated that they changed it for every other SC game.

Bayman is my second traditional second in DOA I love his ground grapples and how he looks so bad ass doing it but I usually end up going with Ayane most of the time, I just love her style.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
I'm probably one of the few here that have no such thing as character loyalty in games. What characters I pick usually depends solely on how much I enjoy playing them, and whether I feel they give me the best winning chances.

Example? I play Sakura in the Street Fighter Alpha-games, and she's one of the most enjoyable characters I know of in those games. Solid neutral game, great rushdown, relatively simple combos. I don't play her in SF4, even though she's a top tier in that game. Why? Because I don't think she's any fun in SF4. She's flat out better than my actual main (Cody) in almost every aspect, but I just don't like how she feels in SF4.

Conversely, I play Cassandra (or any equivalents) in every Soul Calibur game. Not because of character loyalty, but simply because she happens to have a playstyle I'm very, very comfortable with(that is, whiff punish the sucker and then rush him down).

I do have a tendency of initially picking characters based on aesthetics and theme songs, and then figure out that the characters I thought looked fucking stupid, or had a theme song I hated, actually turned out to be more fun. It's why Paul is on my TTT2-team and Benimaru(god he looks so dumb) is on my KOF13-team, even though I decided when I got the game that I'd never use them.

The one thing I do have is an undying hate for Vega in Street Fighter. He traumatized me as a kid. If I ever actually pick up Vega in a game, I swear, I will down an entire bottle of Fernet Branca.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
As soon as a pick up a new Soul Calibur, there is only one character I am going for... CARVANTES. Game won.

Bulbasaur will also never not get picked, thats for true (because, honestly, I have no reason to pick either of the other two reptiles).

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
The only games I do this in so far without changing is the ME series. Give me dat Garrus and Tali. Sure I didn't have a biotic, but damn if we weren't epic bro squad. I tried my hardest to keep my preferred characters in DA:O and DA2 but the games get so ridiculously hard on the higher difficulties that you have to min/max your party to survive.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
When I still mid in league of legends a lot there was one character I stuck with. I could have had a much easier time by picking one of the newer powercreeped champs with crazy abilities or one with an overloaded kit or even just one that got overbuffed and was broken.

But I stuck with my champ because he was one of my favorite characters. I stuck with him because despite the enemy teams efforts, They couldn't stop the Swain train.

Also in regards to fighters. Hakumen forever!

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Character loyalty really only applies to fighters for me, too much work to go to waste if you drop a character because of some changes.

Blazblue: Hakumen. If I have 3 or more magatama and get you in the corner, say goodbye to at least half your health. Also I just love slaying idiots with the fully charged corner shippu unblockable setup. Scummiest round/match ender ever XD

Guilty Gear: Chipp with Baiken as sub. Chipps bullshit speed and mix up is the best...I just gotta not get hit or else I die.

Dissidia: Golbez forever (Jecht and ExDeath as subs). Looks badass while pimp smacking you with his magic/melee combos and the deadliest ground combatant in the game.

Killer Instinct: Glacius with sub as Fulgore. I just always liked how these guys played and looked.

King of FIghters: K'. It's all about the K man with that crazy corner carry of his and his "deal with it" super is just too entertaining. Throw flaming shades at opponent, put new pair on, proceed to beat the shit out of them XD.

Soul calibur: Mostly been a Mitsurugi player, but it's been a long time.

Divekick: It's all about the motherfucking Baz

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Soul Caliber - Mitsurugi
Smash Bros. - Link
Guilty Gear - Testament
Street Fighter - Ken
Dragon Age: Origins - Alistair and Morrigan
Dragon Age II - Isabella and Verric
Mass Effect - Garrus and Tali'Zorah
Mass Effect 2 - Garrus and Tali'Zorah
Mass Effect 3 - Garrus and Tali'Zorah (there is no Shepard without Vakarian)
White Knight Chronicles - Avatar, Leonard and Caesar
White Knight Chronicles II - Avatar, Leonard and Caesar
Tales of Symphonia - Lloyd, Genis, Raine and Kratos/Zelos
Tales of Destiny - Stahn, Rutee, Garr and Leon
Tales of Vesperia - Yuri, Raven, Judith and Rita
Tales of Graces f - Asbel, Hubert, Sophie and Cheria
Tales of Xillia - Jude, Milla, Alvin and Rowen
Final Fantasy IX - Zidane, Dagger and Freya
Final Fantasy X - Tidus, Yuna and Auron
Final Fantasy XII - Basch fon Ronsenburg, Balthier and Fran
Dark Souls - Brolaire (always summoned for every fight in which he's available, no exception)

I switch it up every now and again, like using Siegfried in Soul Calibur or Dizzy in Guilty Gear, but this is pretty much the lineup I almost always use.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
If the game is relatively difficult I'll always go for efficiency. If not I'll go by whoever I like character wise. I played through the entirety of ME3 with EDI in my party despite the fact that she's fairly useless because I found her weirdly attractive and the game was easy as shit anyways.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
In fighters, I tend to go for female characters that look fierce and focused. Even though their moves doesn't really match my play style.
In SF3 and 4 I play Makoto exclusively. But I've dabbled in some Juri and Ibuki as well.
In Skullgirls I play solo Painwheel.
In BlazBlue I play Noel Vermillion.

In RPGS, I tend to always pick the characters which have the most interesting personalities, because I always want to hear their take on any given situation. Then there's usually an open spot where I rotate everyone in once in a while.