Character types you hate - any media

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Kid characters that act and talk like they are perfectly balanced grown up men, and are lovable, and mature and experienced. Its like the authors never remember how it was to be a kid, ended up writing a Mary Sue, and at some point, forgot that he/she was supposed to be 10.

Incidentally, characters that have no physical flaws, psychological issues or educational blind spots. Or that any potential flaw end up being skills that will help them solve the plot.

Grendich

Mar 7, 2012
like a lot of people here: Kids
either theyre fucking useless or they get other people in danger.
no, you dont let them off the hook after a fuck up. you lock them in their room, you chain them to the wall if you have to. and if that doesnt help, you beat their ass bloody. you dont let them get out to fuck even more things up.
or better yet: dont make them appear in your movie/book/whatever to begin with.
Fuck you Carl.

'Comic relief'-characters, where comic relief pretty much boils down to 'this character is bad at almost everything and fucks up things regularly'. there may be a single moment in the story where these characters are slightly useful and thats it. Sometimes i actually like the character a lot and want him (its pretty much always a guy) to be successful, but the writers just dont let him. I fail to see how this is funny. Where is the relief in that?

Ishal said:
The only thing worse than that are characters who do shitty, disgusting things and face no comeuppance from their actions. It's the mark of terrible writing.

Ahh, and look, we have another example from Legend of Korra.

Gotta agree with this so much. All that relationship-crap in Season 2 was so awful and there was way too much of it. Makos behaviour is bad enough, but i just dont understand why he never gets punished for all this crap. Doesnt help that he is probably one of the most boring characters in the series.

I dont know if it's just an effect of reading threads like this, but i feel like im tired of pretty much every character stereotype. Barely any character seems to be interesting anymore.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Mine is what Alex from LoadingReadyRun refers to as Steve. [http://voxlunch.tumblr.com/post/88628071753/steve]

It is the same white dude with the same motivations over and over again. Linked above is Alex's blog where he talks about it at some length.

That and what few female characters that we have tend to gravitate towards always looking like super models or people of exceptional beauty, an average looking character is very rare. The only recent example that comes to mind is Billy Lurk from Dishonored.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Found another one I hate!

The No Nonsense Serious Black Person!

This one can be male or female, and is most commonly seen in tv shows. If it's a cop show, they're frequently the Lieutenant of the squad, but not one of the main detectives. If it's a medical show, they're the more senior doctor/nurse, usually in charge of the main characters.

They have a constant state of pissed offedness. They usually speak in ways that imply their lives are "really hard because of their struggles!", and intimidate and glare down the main characters at all times. They have zero humor, never smile, and are just there to be gruff and serious.

God I hate that character.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Any character whose moves I can predict several hours beforehand with accuracy, or what I call stereotypes. Characters that fit into a specific archetype, no matter what the reason, and follows my predictions with an accuracy so bizarrely precise that I'm surprised that I wasn't part of the creative process in the initial phases of conception of these characters. The reason why I loathe TLoU so much is because every single character fits into this category, and yet the gaming public, journalists and mass consumers alike, is unable to look past all the style of quality voice acting, relatively phenomenal graphics, and solid gameplay to see what actually lies beneath: a cornucopia of cliches, stereotypes, or otherwise predictable characters so thin I could poke them with a stick and bruise their spines and a narrative so weak if it were tea it could pass for water. I loathe this game with all of my heart simply because of all the positive buzz that I am convinced that some sort of newbie adept at playing the heartstrings of humanity managed to somehow claw his way into the heart of Naughty Dog and form some sort of wager with the higher ups in the company that should his Oscar-bait (Yes, I'm quoting Yahtzee, because this phrase in specific just about sums up the entire game) piece of mass consumed garbage make any sort of positive review, his superiors would then be forced to leave the company. Lo and behold if after the game comes out everyone is sucking its collective dick, and Amy Hennig, Justin Richmond, and Nate Wells leave the company just before the masterpiece of manipulation was announced to be coming to PS4. Yes, this is a hate post about TLoU, because until someone is able to intelligently converse with me without quitting half-way through, I will continue to spout what should be the common truth about this game.