Characters people love that you hate.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Everyone has one. A character that everybody seems to like for reasons you cannot understand because they make you want to drop kick a baby panda. I have 3.

Cloud from FF7. I love FF 7 but Clould is so boring. About 40 mins into the game I just wanted to reach into the game and tell him to cheer the fuck up.

Ron Weasly from Harry Potter. I do not really like Harry Potter but I have fond memories of reading them to my sisters every night when they were young. However Ron bloody Weasly. All this guy ever seems to do is complain and fuck up. The guy is mostly useless. So is Harry but he has the whole chosen one thing going for him. I love my sisters and would do almost anything for them but having to read a book with this shit for brains character in them really pushed me to the limit. Luckly they lost interest after book 5 and I started reading them good books.

Ever read the Eragon books? If not then good as they are at their best mediocre and at their worst brain leaking out of you ears bad. There is a character called Murtagh. His Dad was mean to him and everybody likes his friend the main character more than him so he allows himself to be used as an instrument of mass murder by the bad guy. He also kills one of the main support characters because he wanted to and it is said that while he is a slave to the bad guy he enjoys killing masses of people because why the hell not. The author was going to kill him but apparently so many fans liked him he did not. He does one good thing at the end and everybody is like 'You killed 100,000 people but did one good act at the end there so were good bro, off you go' How could anyone like this pathetic, self pitying, psychotic douche nozzle?

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
the one person i can think of is cyclops from the x men
i fucking hate this guy he is just a jerk! (espacially lately) and somehow he is popular enogh to have survived in a major role for around 50 years!

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Spiderman. Seriously. Every story with the guy is melodramatic as all hell.

You think Ron is bad but, yeah, fuck Harry too.

The Great and Powerful Trixie. Fuck you.

Raphiel from Tmnt. He acts like a complete jackass all the time.

Master Chief has zero personality.

Marcus Fenix is bland as hell. Pretty much everyone in Gears except for Braid and Cole.

Gorden Freeman. This one just baffels me, as he hasnt spoken once, yet everyone loves the character. You could play as Alex in 3 and nothing would change.

My gosh this list got crazy long.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Shadowstar38 said:
Spiderman. Seriously. Every story with the guy is melodramatic as all hell.

You think Ron is bad but, yeah, fuck Harry too.

The Great and Powerful Trixie. Fuck you.

Raphiel from Tmnt. He acts like a complete jackass all the time.

Master Chief has zero personality.

Marcus Fenix is bland as hell. Pretty much everyone in Gears except for Braid and Cole.

Gorden Freeman. This one just baffels me, as he hasnt spoken once, yet everyone loves the character. You could play as Alex in 3 and nothing would change.

My gosh this list got crazy long.
Damn how did I miss Spiderman. I have never liked that dude. Everything he says makes me want to set fire to his balls.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Wrex from Mass Effect. He's just your generic pugnacious asshole.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
It's got to be Legion.

[small]For God's sake it's Commander Shepard. Get it right for once.[/small]

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Hell, I'll be that person.

The "MLP: FiM" cast.

Now, before you Bronies start lighting up the torches, grabbing the pitchforks, and loading the double-barrels... keep in mind that I've got nothing actually against the fanbase. I just don't understand its fascination with the show. Trust me, I've tried watching it - I figured I might as well since it's already pretty much everywhere - I just couldn't get into it with the kind of fervor that everyone else has.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Auron, from FFX. He isn't cool, he isn't a badass, he's just a hypocrite.

The same goes for pretty much any "badass" character. Wolverine, Wrex, et cetera. I hate them all. But at least most of them don't take the extra step of hypocrisy as well as being an antisocial jerk.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Kefka.

Okay, look... Final Fantasy 6 is a good game. I enjoyed it. It's fun. But Kefka was simply born to be hated, not loved. He's amusing to a point and effective as a villain, but let's get something straight here... Kefka is a foppish clown trying desperately to be the Joker, but I think the actual Joker would do better in his position. He's an entire circus act wrapped around genocidal hate-monger.

He gets credit for re-arranging the face of the planet and stealing the power of the gods that made it, but let's put up one harsh reality about that particular notion: This act and everything that led up to it was made possible by HIS EMPEROR, an actual strategist and leader with a little horse-sense, like..."Re-arranging the face of the planet is BAD.".

He's insane, but I don't think too highly of the opinion that he's actually deep. I think the display we see is exactly what it says on the tin. He hates everyone and everything, likes killing and maiming, enjoys ultimate power, and looks very VERY flaming...except that no one would ever REALLY want to get near him on either side of the board.

And yeah, I do like Sephiroth better, but while there might be Kefka fans chomping at the bit to tell me off, I don't really worry too much about people who don't like Sephiroth. The Jenova-spawn can look after himself.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Derpy Hooves from My Little Pony. I don't get the big deal. Was fun to spot her in the episodes, but then it just got ridiculous in my eyes. I don't quite get the fuss. I don't get the fuss about all the other background characters either.

Ginny Weasly. I cannot stand her. To be fair to her, at least when Harry left her she didn't sit there weeping, she gathered up the DA and kicked butt. But I just do not like her. I also did not think she was all that great a match for Harry.

I also think Murtagh from the Eragon series. I did not like him one bit. He really is self pitying and psychotic.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
John Marston from Red Dead Redemption.

The guy is the biggest fucking doormat in the world of gaming. He's all bark no bite.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
A lot of people love Cyclops and Jean Grey, but I find them both annoying, mainly Cyclops. The guy is an ass.

Superman is another I really can't seem to like. I find him incredibly shallow and there's nothing interesting about him other than the fact that he's from another planet.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Shadowstar38 said:
100% agree. I get that some people might like the way he looks or dig the whole concept of the nerd who saves the world.. but he's not a character. He's a floating camera with a gun/crowbar attached. So many people claim to love Freeman, but he could literally be replaced with an anthropomorphic female turtle and the game would be exactly the same.

The same goes for most silent protagonists, though in many other cases they at least have a consistent and tangible visual design.

nifedj

Nov 12, 2009
It irritates me that Mario, Sonic, Master Chief etc are always at the top of "Best Video Game Characters" lists, because being iconic/from a great game isn't the same as being an interesting or good character. I think there are quite a few characters that people say they love, when actually the game or something else associated with the character is what they like - silent characters have already been mentioned in that regard.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Is Naruto as in the character himself is still popular these days? Even to this day, he's still arrogant and annoying as hell. I tend to like most protaganist in a Shonen series but Naruto is the only one I dislike the most.

Caledh

Aug 16, 2012
I don't like most action hero protagonists. Dante being the most annoying of them all.

As a child I hated Mario and Link.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't know if people actually love her but Katniss from The Hunger Games, I haven't actually seen the movie yet but in the second and third books she's really irritating and quite badly written.

One minute she's the fearless heroine, next she hates everything, then she's afraid, then she's selfless but selfish at the same time. Her personality totally flip-flops and all she does is complain. I get that she's probably trying to portray a troubled teenager flung into a difficult situation but Katniss has these big epiphany moments, only to completely forget about them two pages later. It makes her really unlikable.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
Ferris Bueller

Total D-bag throughout the movie, only thought of himself... Why do we like him again?