Characters that deserve less hate

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
There are some characters from Video games, cinema, books etc. that are seemingly universally hated for whatever reason. Which ones do you think are undeserving of this hatred?

I'm personally going for Tidus. I've seen people call him whiny and annoying, and whilst I can understand that (The voice acting needs some work, not sure if the HD remake fixed this), I have to say that I can understand him whining.

Tidus was sports megastar in his home, the top player in a team despite only being there for 1 year, the son of another megastar who was a bit of a dick towards him (openly). Then his dad vanishes, 10 years later he's playing a final and his entire city gets destroyed by a creature, everyone and everywhere he knows and loves is wiped out (bar Auron)and he spends a while being chased by monsters, kidnapped and forced to work by pirates, before washing up on a beach where he's told 100 years or so has passed since Zanarkand was destroyed.

This is pretty much just the opening of the game. If Tidus wasn't a protagonist he'd probably be suffering from major PTSD, shock and generally be really fucked up by these happening. I'd personally allow him a bit of whining.

So, who needs a little less hate in your eyes?

P.s. The laughing seen is meant to be awkward and forced. It's always taken so ridiculously out of context. It's basically Yuna convincing Tidus to "Fake it until he makes it" and put a braver face on.

CAPTCHA: Eat out. With regards to food, I can't afford it. With regards to women, I wouldn't mind it, I'll be a bit out of practice and I'm currently at my parents house, so it'd have to be round hers.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
The remaining Starks who are not Arya deserve a little less hate.

I also think that Connor, in Assassin's creed 3, deserves less hate. The guy had a hard life.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Ashley and Kaiden from ME (note: I've not played ME3 and the hate I'm referring to is the hate form ME1)
Kaiden gets accused of being "whiny" but...he isn't actually that whiny. When his "tragic past" is bought up its because he trying to make a point not to sympathy fish and he insists he's over it and doesn't want you codling him about it. I guess he isn't 100% ok and willing to overlook everything you do without comment but the other squad-mates do that to. I can get thinking he's boring, I wouldn't be surprised if he was a last minute addition to give Fem Shep a romance option other than Liara but I don't see why you would hate him. I wonder if the "whiny" thing is just because he has the same VA as Carth.

People call Ashley a religious Zealot and Nazi which she isn't. Her religion is obviously a big part of her life but she isn't a "zealot". She never tries to convert you, hell she even asked (not in confrontational tone) whether you are ok with it. A lot of the stuff with her being racist (she is a bit but people overblow it) is people reading more in it than there is. Every-time someone says "she called aliens dogs" I want to slap them for completely failing at understanding that analogy. She against the pro human groups likes of Terra Firma and less maliciously racist and more just not use to dealing with aliens. Not to mention some of your other squadmates are racist to, it just comes up in elevator conversations rather than their main dialogue. Garrus in particular and he is a bit of an ass about it.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
DementedSheep said:
Ashley and Kaiden from ME (note: I've not played ME3 and the hate I'm referring to is the hate form ME1)
Kaiden gets accused of being "whinny" but...he isn't actually that whinny. When his "tragic past" is bought up its because he trying to make a point not to sympathy fish and he insists he's over it and doesn't want yo codling him about it. I guess he 100% ok and willing to overlook everything you do without comment but the other squad-mates do that to. I can get thinking he's boring, I wouldn't be surprised if was a last minute to give Fem Shep a romance option other than Liara but I don't see why you would hate him. I wonder if the "whinny" thing is just because he has the VA as Carth.

People call Ashley a religious Zealot and Nazi which she isn't. Her religion is obviously a big part of her life but she isn't a "zealot". She never tries to convert you, hell she even asked (not in confrontational tone) whether you are ok with it. A lot of the stuff with her being racist (she is a bit but people overblow it) is people reading more in it than their is. Every-time someone says "she called aliens dogs" I want to slap them for completely failing at understanding that analogy. She against the pro human groups likes of Terra Firma and less maliciously racist and more just not use to dealing with aliens. Not to mention some of your other squadmates are racist to, it just comes up in elevator conversations rather than their main dialogue. Garrus in particular and he is a bit of an ass about it.
People thought that?

I just thought Kaiden was supremely boring and Ashley was a *****.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
DementedSheep said:
Ashley and Kaiden from ME (note: I've not played ME3 and the hate I'm referring to is the hate from ME1)
Kaiden gets accused of being "whinny" but...he isn't actually that whinny. When his "tragic past" is bought up its because he trying to make a point not to sympathy fish and he insists he's over it and doesn't want you codling him about it. I guess he isn't 100% ok and willing to overlook everything you do without comment but the other squad-mates do that to. I can get thinking he's boring, I wouldn't be surprised if was a last minute to give Fem Shep a romance option other than Liara but I don't see why you would hate him. I wonder if the "whinny" thing is just because he has the VA as Carth.

People call Ashley a religious Zealot and Nazi which she isn't. Her religion is obviously a big part of her life but she isn't a "zealot". She never tries to convert you, hell she even asked (not in confrontational tone) whether you are ok with it. A lot of the stuff with her being racist (she is a bit but people overblow it) is people reading more in it than their is. Every-time someone says "she called aliens dogs" I want to slap them for completely failing at understanding that analogy. She 's against the pro human groups likes of Terra Firma and less maliciously racist and more just not use to dealing with aliens. Not to mention some of your other squadmates are racist to, it just comes up in elevator conversations rather than their main dialogue. Garrus in particular and he is a bit of an ass about it.
People thought that?

I use to be on the Bioware forms and yes they got this a lot, especially Ashley.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Jacob, from Mass Effect 2. Yeah, I get that in a universe like Mass Effect, humans tend to be less interesting by default, but I'm not really sure why Jacob gets singled out so much. The two times I played through the game, he always seemed to be that one guy you could trust. A guy who has seen some bad shit in life, yet wants to do things the right way. A guy who has your back. A guy who you could have a cool time with back at the Citadel when off duty. Hell, I'd be bold enough to say that he stands alongside Garrus just as strong in this regard (if he had a more prominent role in the third game, mind). Also, I thought the story around his loyalty mission was pretty well done, and Jacob's voice actor made him feel very genuine. I really like the dude.

That said, I haven't played through the game as a female character, nor ever will due to the unfortunate voice actress. So how he acts toward a female player, I'm not too sure.

Simaru

May 24, 2014
I'm gonna go out and say Navi from Zelda Ocarina of Time. Sure repeating the "Hey, listen." line might have gotten old but the benefits outweighed it by a ton.
She changed color to indicate various things such as locking onto enemies, hidden areas, and hints for quests.
She literally was the bestiary for the game. (More games need bestiaries.)
You could make her go away by simply standing still and hitting A.

There's a video somewhere covering this but I can't find it.

Also, in Majora's mask, you get another fairy who's basically the same thing but with more sarcasm.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Shinji Ikari.

The kid is 15, his mom his dead, his father seems to hate him, and everyone is passive-aggressively pushing him towards piloting a death machine to "save the world." All the while, most of his comrades also seem to hate him in some way or the other. Everyone wants him to grow a spine, yet whenever he does stand up for himself, shit always seems to hit the fan. And then everyone hates him for it.

And then people complains about him being a whiny *****.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Ken Amada from Persona 3.

I feel that people are too harsh on him. Some even call him a backstabber, traitor and teamkiller. First of all, Shinjiro was dead either way and he was willing to let Ken kill him. The fact that Shinji ended up sacrificing himself to save Ken gave his death at least some meaning and purpose. Second, people tend to forget just how screwed up Ken is. Kid was NINE when he witnessed his mother getting murdered by a monstrosity and after that there wasn't a single person in the world who would believe or support him. This kind of thing breaks people and the fact that Ken managed to somehow hold up to his child values and ideals is amazing by itself.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Add another to the Conner pile from Assassin's Creed 3. The white man did some terrible stuff to him, of course he is going to be bitter and wary of them. I do wish he would have opened up a little more to Nate though, I think that was the plantation owners name.

Alistair seems to get quite a bit of unneeded hate. I mean, sure he whines quite a bit about a certain someone. But he is always there when you need him, with a joke or encouraging words. I always liked him as a bro for males and a boyfriend as a female.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
DementedSheep said:
Kaiden gets accused of being "whinny" but...he isn't actually that whinny. When his "tragic past" is bought up its because he trying to make a point not to sympathy fish and he insists he's over it and doesn't want yo codling him about it. I guess he 100% ok and willing to overlook everything you do without comment but the other squad-mates do that to. I can get thinking he's boring, I wouldn't be surprised if was a last minute to give Fem Shep a romance option other than Liara but I don't see why you would hate him. I wonder if the "whinny" thing is just because he has the VA as Carth.

People call Ashley a religious Zealot and Nazi which she isn't. Her religion is obviously a big part of her life but she isn't a "zealot". She never tries to convert you, hell she even asked (not in confrontational tone) whether you are ok with it. A lot of the stuff with her being racist (she is a bit but people overblow it) is people reading more in it than their is. Every-time someone says "she called aliens dogs" I want to slap them for completely failing at understanding that analogy. She against the pro human groups likes of Terra Firma and less maliciously racist and more just not use to dealing with aliens. Not to mention some of your other squadmates are racist to, it just comes up in elevator conversations rather than their main dialogue. Garrus in particular and he is a bit of an ass about it.
People thought that?

I've just about finished ME for the first time and I thought so too.

I ditched them as soon as I could. :D

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
Carl from The Walking Dead. Chandler Riggs' acting has improved drastically since the first season and as the seasons progress I find myself liking the character more and more. As for Carl in the comics, well, I don't hate him, he's just...there.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
AccursedTheory said:
DementedSheep said:

People thought that?

I've just about finished ME for the first time and I thought so too.

I ditched them as soon as I could. :D
I always kill Ashley to make sure I don't accidentally stumble into a relationship with her, and leave Kaiden to rot on my ship while I take in infinitely more interesting and awesome Tali and Wrex on my epic adventures.

To hell with humanity.

Lupine

Apr 26, 2014
Mahorfeus said:
Shinji Ikari.

The kid is 15, his mom his dead, his father seems to hate him, and everyone is passive-aggressively pushing him towards piloting a death machine to "save the world." All the while, most of his comrades also seem to hate him in some way or the other. Everyone wants him to grow a spine, yet whenever he does stand up for himself, shit always seems to hit the fan. And then everyone hates him for it.

And then people complains about him being a whiny *****.
This...so hard.

Not only that, everyone wants to act like in Shinji's place they would be a total badass, except that Shinji at his very core is a deconstruction of the Amuro Ray style plucky young pilot that is good at everything. In a perfect world you get to be Amuro, but in reality you get to be Shinji. It is you, the 15 year old kid versus Lovecraftian style horrors that warp and murder the world around you and sometimes even when you win you end up losing.

Examples include what happened to Rei when she gets infected by Armisael, Toji's sister, Toji himself, and to top it off Kaworu.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
As someone who has spent years successfully avoiding ME spoilers on the Internet, still am for 2 and 3, you might wanna spoiler that for other slowpokes like me.
Yeah though, totes Ashely.

I opted for the lesbian romance with Liara just because Kaiden was so dull.

I played through with Garrus and Tali, might go for some more variety ability-wise next time.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
IllumInaTIma said:
Ken Amada from Persona 3.

I feel that people are too harsh on him. Some even call him a backstabber, traitor and teamkiller. First of all, Shinjiro was dead either way and he was willing to let Ken kill him. The fact that Shinji ended up sacrificing himself to save Ken gave his death at least some meaning and purpose. Second, people tend to forget just how screwed up Ken is. Kid was NINE when he witnessed his mother getting murdered by a monstrosity and after that there wasn't a single person in the world who would believe or support him. This kind of thing breaks people and the fact that Ken managed to somehow hold up to his child values and ideals is amazing by itself.
I couldn't agree more. So many of his haters, when asked about why they don't like Ken, can't come up with anything better than "he killed Shinji". Not only is that incorrect to begin with, you just have to take one look at his backstory and everything he did becomes understandable. Leaving aside the fact that he does end up feeling remorse for what happened, and that it's debatable whether he would have actually gone through with it to begin with, the kid lost his mother for god's sake! If that's not a reason to want revenge on the person you believe is responsible, then what is?

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
The remaining Starks who are not Arya deserve a little less hate.

I also think that Connor, in Assassin's creed 3, deserves less hate. The guy had a hard life.
My problem was that you don't get to see any of it.

The time between Connor training as an Assassin and basically being a full fledged assassin is explained away in a dull monologue over him standing in a room.

Maybe they were going for a similar 'stoic' approach as with Altair, but...I 'unno.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Tidus never really annoyed me either. At least he wasn't mopey like they usually shoot for.

The one I don't understand is Skylar White. I finished watching Breaking Bad a few weeks ago and pretty much everyone hates Skylar but I can't see it. Yeah, she's a bit of a ***** sometimes but it's understandable and I don't think she was a bad character.