Characters Who Never Talk, Then Suddenly Do

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Does Gold Sun 1 and 2 counted?

In the first game you played Issac but in 2 you played the other character Felix and his group. When you are reunited with Issac group he can talk since you're not playing as him in 2 so it was quite werid having him being able to talked. Ok this also in turn make Felix one talkable in 1 to being the silent protagonist in 2.
I would like to think this counts. Actually, this is precisely what I came in here to say. To be honest, it's a bit weird having Isaac talk in Golden Sun: The Lost Age. I found it even weirder that Felix somehow lost his voice.

I'd also like to mention Kimahri from Final Fantasy X. He doesn't say a single word until a good way into the game, and his first words are to tell Tidus to keep a positive exterior, for Yuna's sake. Even after that, he still says next to nothing.

Dec 10, 2012
The player character in Heretic never speaks and has no name. He has a couple grunting noises, but there are no spoken words in the whole game. At least, not in any language that exists.

Then Heretic II comes around, for some reason, and changes the FPS into a third-person action-adventure-shooter-thing, changes the setting and story, and overall has just about nothing in common with the original classic. It also gives your guy a name (Corvus) and dialogue (stupid). It's such a weird sequel, and though I didn't hate it, it is definitely not what you'd call a quality game.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Alexei F. Karamazov said:
Zeterai said:
Alexei F. Karamazov said:
krazykidd said:
Speaking soley for videogames .Yu Narukami from Persona 4 didn't speak if i remember correctly. Then he did in Persona 4 Arena . Plus he has a name !

I think Samus from metroid didn't speak until Metroid: other M, but i'm not sure.

This isn't the kind of a thing i notice.
Aside from the occasional grunt of pain in the Metroid Prime series, she was never voiced until Other M. She did speak a bit in Metroid: Fusion, but that was all text. Aside from that, she's been silent.

OT: The only instance I can think of is the jump from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption to Other M, and I think enough has been documented about the astounding success of THAT alteration...
Samus also narrated the intro sequence for Super Metroid on the SNES. Zero Mission was a retelling from her perspective, and also somewhat narrated, at least in parts. Jennifer Hale did her pain sounds in the Prime trilogy, but no, she never had an actual voice until Other M. But then, a voice actress thrust upon a previously mostly-silent protagonist is the least of that.. game's.. worries.

I don't know if the "The Last Metroid Is In Captivity: The Galaxy Is At Peace" part of Super Metroid was meant to be a character speaking or just overall narration. I suppose it could be argued that it was possibly Samus speaking, which would have been the first time she had an actual voice, but it's a bit sketchy. It was the first spoken words in the series though, that I'm aware of. Second would be.. the Luminoth noises I guess? Was there voice acting for the NPCs in Corruption? I can't recall.
WAIT, REALLY??!?!

FemShep and Samus are voiced by the same person?! That's crazy! I mean, sure it's a bit of a minor role, but still, I never would have suspected that in an alternate universe, Samus still manages to save the world from Space "Pirates!"
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Samus also voiced by Jennifer Hale in SSBB?
In fact SSBB might just be the first time theres actually been a voice actor for her. Her taunts have spoken dialogue in a very teasing and seductive way.
And can I also stretch that she has only 3 lines, and there's more depth to her character in them than all of Other: M.

CyberSinner

Apr 21, 2014
The Pointman from F.E.A.R. had no voice, had no face. He was nameless, silent. He was like the master chief for ghost I guess, with just grunting, and breathing.

Then F.E.A.R. 3 comes he talks, has a face, and is ruined.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Not quite the same thing but Kimahri in FFX doesn't say a word until about 10-15 hours in. I know he isn't the protagonist but it was still an "Oh wow, he can talk!" moment.

thefascistpig

May 21, 2013
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
I'm going to cheat a tad and go with Nathan Hale from the Resistance series.

In the first game, he (almost) never talks. The story is told in an aftermath style with the female operative reading her reports of the various battles. It's atmospheric, effective, and chilling.

Then suddenly the second game comes around and Hale won't shut his damn mouth. The cool narration is nowhere to be seen and the character is the one telling the whole story.
Hilariously his only line in the first game was my name is seargent nathan hale even funnier when u play coop and they don't mention the his "partner"

Aug 1, 2010
thefascistpig said:

In the first game, he (almost) never talks. The story is told in an aftermath style with the female operative reading her reports of the various battles. It's atmospheric, effective, and chilling.

Then suddenly the second game comes around and Hale won't shut his damn mouth. The cool narration is nowhere to be seen and the character is the one telling the whole story.
Hilariously his only line in the first game was my name is seargent nathan hale even funnier when u play coop and they don't mention the his "partner"
His other line is in the cut-scene from the extras called "Stranger Than Fission" which was surprisingly funny.

Although that doesn't really count...

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Auron225 said:
Not quite the same thing but Kimahri in FFX doesn't say a word until about 10-15 hours in. I know he isn't the protagonist but it was still an "Oh wow, he can talk!" moment.
What do you mean, John DiMaggio talks a lot during that time. XD
Sorry, just had to make that joke since Wakka and Kimahri are both voiced by John DiMaggio.

OT: Well since a lot of people took Kimahri, I'll go with Ja...that was taken...Okay, how about Samu...dammit. Everyone took my answers already. I'll probably edit one in later. XD

thefascistpig

May 21, 2013
thefascistpig said:

His other line is in the cut-scene from the extras called "Stranger Than Fission" which was surprisingly funny.

Although that doesn't really count...
Lol its like they were gonna give him more lines but just decided they didn't want to

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Segadroid said:
I'm surprised no-one mentioned him yet.

Hilariously enough, this speaking version of Link predates the grunting/shouting Link from Ocarina of Time.
Like the alleged matrix sequels, that never existed and you're a monster for attempting to spread that filthy lie.

OT: I actually had this happen recently to me. I was playing Gods Eater Burst on my Vita(long live the best handheld on the market) and your character is silent... like the entire game they just make frowny/smily faces depending on the subject everyone else is talking about.

Then right before the end of the "DLC" story section, your character shouts out something. It was kind of jarring, I wondered for a couple seconds if that was actually someone else talking and they just had the camera on me. I can understand why they did it from a story perspective, but none the less, it was odd and makes me wish that they had just made you talk throughout the game instead of having you do the silent protagonist thing and then break it.

Of course, no one played Gods Eater Burst for the story, but they could have because the main story is really good(if you enjoy a good anime style plot) and the Burst story is good(if you enjoy mildly cheesy anime style plots).

vid87

May 17, 2010
Star Wars: Clone Wars

So Darth Maul was just the strong silent type and all it took to get him to open his mouth was survive being cut in half, go insane, and graft his torso to a mech-spider?

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
alot of the games i played were back in the day so now they almost all have voices now, well only the main characters do. except Link, and the non "important" characters in any Final Fantasy game 9 and down, except 7 since you know its get all the love. to be seriously honest? i prefer silent text than an ear bleedingly bad voice actor voicing a beloved character. it hurts me almost physically so... * points dangerously at Link * shut the hell up, you dont need a voice!

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010

Zeterai said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Savagezion said:
I thought Sonic did, but can't say for sure. It was weird watching them talk in the Sonic cartoon.
Nope, Sonic did indeed start off as silent, then start talking. In the voice of what I can only describe as what I'd imagine Vanilla Ice would sound like if he'd inhaled the contents of a helium balloon. Seriously, WHY?!!

I mean, I absolutely loathe Sonic's contemporary Dynamite Headdy. (Haven't heard of Dynamite Headdy? There's a reason for that.) But as obnoxious as he was, at least he was MEANT to talk. Sonic is meant to do two things: run fast and look awesome. The moment you give him the voice of an overconfident brat, you just kill the character stone dead.
The games were fairly awful, true. I've got something of a soft spot for Sonic Adventure, but SatAM Sonic was more than worth watching. Thing to remember is, yes, Sonic did start out silent, but then Archie Comics got hold of the rights and produced an entire line of comics about a massively extended universe that's.. pretty much ignored by everything but that one cartoon. Pity, really.

Yeah it really is. I've been following the Archie comics since almost day one. And to me That's the definitive Sonic Canon. It's the longest running, the most consistent, and has the most likeable cast of characters and plotlines. They really need to do an RPG set in that universe.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
vid87 said:
Star Wars: Clone Wars

So Darth Maul was just the strong silent type and all it took to get him to open his mouth was survive being cut in half, go insane, and graft his torso to a mech-spider?
I've seen Phantom Menace enough to know he talked in that (Shut up I was 9). Granted, it's not to the same level as he does in Clone Wars, but it's not like he suddenly got vocal cords. Here, see:

I agree it was jarring though, because he always seemed like the kind of guy who avoided having to talk.

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
Crono from Chrono Trigger. And it's not even in the main storyline.

In one of the special endings you can get, depending on when you defeat the final boss in a New Game +, you get an ending where Marle and Lucca are checking out different men across the ages. Then Crono comes in and has a few lines. That's it.

cypher-raige

Apr 15, 2014
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Savagezion said:
I thought Sonic did, but can't say for sure. It was weird watching them talk in the Sonic cartoon.
Nope, Sonic did indeed start off as silent, then start talking. In the voice of what I can only describe as what I'd imagine Vanilla Ice would sound like if he'd inhaled the contents of a helium balloon. Seriously, WHY?!!

I mean, I absolutely loathe Sonic's contemporary Dynamite Headdy. (Haven't heard of Dynamite Headdy? There's a reason for that.) But as obnoxious as he was, at least he was MEANT to talk. Sonic is meant to do two things: run fast and look awesome. The moment you give him the voice of an overconfident brat, you just kill the character stone dead.
You're talking about this Sonic.

For better or for worse, this has been Sonic for the past decade. And he does talk, a lot.

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
Exius Xavarus said:
Scarim Coral said:
Does Gold Sun 1 and 2 counted?

In the first game you played Issac but in 2 you played the other character Felix and his group. When you are reunited with Issac group he can talk since you're not playing as him in 2 so it was quite werid having him being able to talked. Ok this also in turn make Felix one talkable in 1 to being the silent protagonist in 2.
I would like to think this counts. Actually, this is precisely what I came in here to say. To be honest, it's a bit weird having Isaac talk in Golden Sun: The Lost Age. I found it even weirder that Felix somehow lost his voice.

I'd also like to mention Kimahri from Final Fantasy X. He doesn't say a single word until a good way into the game, and his first words are to tell Tidus to keep a positive exterior, for Yuna's sake. Even after that, he still says next to nothing.
I was gonna mention these games, too. Also, remember at the end of Golden Sun: The Lost Age, during the ending scene, Felix does talk again. I think the reason why Isaac and Felix don't talk in their respective games is the usual "you're in control of the characters, so you imagine what they say" hand-waving, so when you complete the game you've relinquished control of Felix, and he acts as he would rather than how you want him too.