Character's you hate from stories that you love

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Nothings perfect. A show can be doing everything right, when suddenly, out of the ether, comes the most annoying creature imaginable. Maybe it's a comic relief character whose jokes fall flat. Maybe it's a bland love interest with nothing to add to the story. Maybe it's Jar Jar Binks. Maybe it's Cait Sith.

In any case, you hate them, and you want them to die. For me it's Scrappy Doo.

So, which character's hurt great stories, and what awful things do you want to happen to them?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
I have two from one 'story,' Jake and Ben Sisko, from Deep Space 9.

Jake could almost be forgiven, as his out of placeness isn't really his fault, but merely a side effect of the direction they choose to go with the show, which didn't have much room for him. But he's so absolutely frustrating to watch that I take back my forgiveness and replace it with a thrown brick. After the first season or so, Jake serves as nothing but a poster boy for how entitlement, particularly that of the 'Utopia Dwelling' humans, is based entirely on bullshit. He's arrogant but completely helpless; supposedly 'more advanced' then lesser races yet entirely dependent on them for even the most simple task; He supposedly wants to walk his own path, but can't go 5 minutes without leeching off of his father's position and reputation, or his friends more grounded and hard earned resources. He's basically what people claim the 'modern millennial' is, only times a billion and with crap fashion sense.

And worst of all, Jake is the only person in the entire Star Trek universe to make Ferengi values (Ultra-Strawman Capitalism) seems entirely reasonable. Not just a specific tiny bit of it - The whole damn thing.

I don't hate Benjamin Sisko quite as much, but I'm still not fond of him. The writers, in my opinion, would often go way, way too far in an attempt to distinguish him from the other captains, all the while continually piling more and more Gary Sue qualities onto him. I found his persistent 'badass' reputation and actions over blown, having the main character of a Star Trek series be a religious icon and predestined fixer upper was, in my opinion, a misstep, and unlike Picard, who remained in the background a lot of the time, and who's entrance to the forefront was something you looked forward to, Sisko was up front for the majority of the series, and the best episodes were, by far, the ones where he was forced into the background and the more interesting side characters got the spot light.

That being said, I suppose he wasn't completely terrible. He does have some good episodes, and his interactions with several characters (Dukat and Garak) was entertaining, but sometimes I feel like that was despite of his character, as opposed to because of the character.

Oh, and for fucks sake, I get it, your from the swamp. It got brought up more frequently and frustratingly then Picard's french connection.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Gazzy from the Maximum Ride series. Okay, so I don't love the series, exactly, but I enjoy the manga adaptation. But Gazzy's real name is The Gasman.

That's right. Best-selling writer James Patterson decided to let the main thing about a character be flatulence. Tasteful.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Tyrande Whisperwind from Warcraft 3, for massacring her own people for just doing their job, setting loose a power hungry meglomaniac because "Maybe he'll be on our side this time!" and snootily dismissinf one of her victims for having the gall to call her out on it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I absolutely can't stand Handsome Jack, yet every game he's in plays off the notion that he's some sort of Magnificent Bastard [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagnificentBastard].

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
I absolutely can't stand Handsome Jack, yet every game he's in plays off the notion that he's some sort of Magnificent Bastard [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagnificentBastard].
Fixed that for you.

Also, I love Scott Snyder's run on Batman, but his version of the Joker just doesn't feel like the Joker.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I can't stand Index from 'A Certain Magical Index'.

I've never really liked the girl--too much of a brat, even for her character type--but I just finished reading the 6th volume in the series and...ugh. Seriously, I don't know how Touma puts up with her. At this point, I think I'd happily hand her back to the Church.
She also has a habit of bringing out aspects of Touma that I find annoying as well, which doesn't help her case in the slightest.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Off the top of my head, though replace "hate" with "dislike," and not counting characters that you're meant to dislike (i.e. I'm not going to include villains from 'A Song of Ice and Fire')

-Laura Roslin (Battlestar Galactica)
-Mele'on Grayza (Farscape)
-Bender (Futurama)
-Bernie (Gears of War)
-Alyx, Eli, Klien (Half-Life)
-Sarah Palmer (Halo)
-Shawn Nanko (Killzone)
-CT, Carolina (Red vs. Blue, though only in the sense I like Red vs. Blue, but not the seasons in which they appeared)
-Eretria (Shannara, novel version)
-Big (Sonic the Hedgehog)
-Rhonin, Krasus (Warcraft)
-Fran (Wess'har)
-Pinto (The Wind on Fire)
-Alec Saddler (Continuum, as of season 3...as in the "bad Alec," but maybe you were meant to dislike him, maybe not...ah, screw it, I'm stretching its inclusion in that I have a very "meh" attitude to Continuum anyway)
-Helen (The Homeward Bounders...maybe...)
-Meegan (The Transall Saga...sort of...I don't dislike her per se, but I guess back in the day, I was more reciprocal to Leeta being Mark's OTP)
-Penelope (Genie from Downunder...again, stretching it, but it's a case of a 'normal' character being surrounded by far more ecentric and interesting ones)
-Katniss Everdeen (The Hunger Games, novels only)
-Harriet (The Plague...okay, MAYBE I'm meant to dislike her, but Jesus Christ, I wasn't mourning when her death was at least implied, if not outright confirmed)
-Every character from the Poternmaster Gang (Doctor Who, and yes, I know that's likely incorrect spelling)
-Troy (Midsummer Murders) (Edit: I meant Scott)
-Bernard Marx (Brave New World)
-Margaret & Louis Colicos (Saga of Seven Suns)
-Sansa Stark (A Song of Ice and Fire)
-Eowyn (Lord of the Rings, novels only)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
That would be the main character we play in Undertale. Ironically, the only human character feels the least human out of them all, showing no expressions in any part of the game what so ever (just through your chosen text), and even looking at the characters face creeps me out.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
I have two from one 'story,' Jake and Ben Sisko, from Deep Space 9.
So much this ^^ So many awesome things going on in the DS9 part of star trek, and we get saddled down with countless stories of bayou culture from centuries before the show actually takes place while smacking us upside the head with the race card. It was about as token black guy as it gets.

That said, Starlight Glimmer so completely ruined my enjoyment of season 5 of my little pony (especially the finale), that I actually haven't been able to get back into the show. Hell, they even put her in as main character at the start of the new season. Not exactly the best hoof to start on, so to speak.

The male protagonist in most modern anime generally make me hate them so much I can't watch the shows: they're either so spineless I want to kick them in the balls, so generic there's not point in them even being there, or so selfish or perverted they have absolutely no redeeming value.

Jei-chan

Inquisitor-Hierarch
Apr 18, 2011
Miranda and Jacob from Mass Effect 2. For a game when all of the new alien characters (Samara, Thane, Jack and Legion in particular) were so brilliant, and there was such great interactions with the returning Tali and Garrus and even Joker, that ends up being one of my favourite games of all time, I was desperately close to not seeing any of it because I couldn't STAND the Cerberus characters. I warmed up a bit to Miranda after ME3 and after making myself play a character to romance her, but doing the same for Jacob just made me hate him even more. Particularly egregious in regards to Jacob is the fact that he was the only male character they bothered to render with his shirt off, so they would push Femshep so hard towards romancing him that there was one conversation you couldn't avoid if you talked to him a couple of times where every dialogue option was a semi-romance-starter, and yet his personality is just a malleable lump designed to be slightly more sympathetic than whatever Miranda wants at the time (at least in the second game). Like. You could have at least TRIED, writers.

Dreph

Jun 27, 2015
Ok this is going to sound a little odd, but Kvothe from the Kingkiller Chronicles.

The world is actually pretty awesome and generally believable once you get passed magic of course. All the characters are fairly well done and the magic and political system is pretty awesome.

Unfortunately all of this is resting on the back of one of the least likable and interesting characters of all time. First of all he is the best at everything to the point he makes Superman look downright relateable. He is the best musician, fighter, and was taught how to make love my the Aphrodite equivalent. Normally I could just right this off as author insertion and move one, but he is the most insufferable asshole. He is constantly snarky, dickish, and comes off like a complete uncaring jerk and this is literally him telling his own story, so he could just change it to make himself look better. To summarize he is show to be a selfish snarky ass by himself telling his own story. I mean what?

I honestly don't understand the reason the author decided to characterize him as such, but then again I'm an amateur novelist and this guy has manage to publish several very popular novels, so what do I know.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Jei-chan said:
Particularly egregious in regards to Jacob is the fact that he was the only male character they bothered to render with his shirt off, so they would push Femshep so hard towards romancing him that there was one conversation you couldn't avoid if you talked to him a couple of times where every dialogue option was a semi-romance-starter.
Hey now let's not talk about horrible Bioware romances. We'd be here all week.

On topic:

For me a character that I just couldn't get myself to like was Yennefer of Vengerberg. I guess her personality and I just can't get along.
I hated her in the books and I continued to hate her after her first sentence in the game.
So if you ask me CD Projekt nailed her character perfectly.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
flying_whimsy said:
That said, Starlight Glimmer so completely ruined my enjoyment of season 5 of my little pony (especially the finale), that I actually haven't been able to get back into the show. Hell, they even put her in as main character at the start of the new season. Not exactly the best hoof to start on, so to speak.
Um...

Okay, I have mixed feelings about Starlight Glimmer, to the extent that I even wrote a oneshot about it. It doesn't help that she feels like MLP's substitute for Sunset Shimmer, effectively confining Sunset to Equestria Girls.

On the other hand, "main character?" While she now appears in the show's intro, I don't think her presence in season 6 has put her on the same level as the Mane 6. Which, if anything, kind of irks me. It feels like they want to tell Starlight's story (and I said before season 6 that Twilight's next step in character development should be as a teacher), but they can't seem to commit to her.

On the other hand, season 6 recently aired Saddle Sore and Rec. A.k.a. one of the best episodes in the series ever. ^_^

Dreph said:
Ok this is going to sound a little odd, but Kvothe from the Kingkiller Chronicles.
Oh no, that's not odd at all. In fact, the only reason I didn't include Kvothe is that I don't really care for KC regardless. But Kvothe...ugh. The only reason I can think of him being the way he is is that since Kvothe is telling the story, he's exagerating his skills, but I'm sorry Patrick, Kvothe still comes off as a twat.

But hey, I'm an amateur author as well, so fist-bump or something. :)

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Hawki said:
Um...

Okay, I have mixed feelings about Starlight Glimmer, to the extent that I even wrote a oneshot about it. It doesn't help that she feels like MLP's substitute for Sunset Shimmer, effectively confining Sunset to Equestria Girls.

On the other hand, "main character?" While she now appears in the show's intro, I don't think her presence in season 6 has put her on the same level as the Mane 6. Which, if anything, kind of irks me. It feels like they want to tell Starlight's story (and I said before season 6 that Twilight's next step in character development should be as a teacher), but they can't seem to commit to her.

On the other hand, season 6 recently aired Saddle Sore and Rec. A.k.a. one of the best episodes in the series ever. ^_^
To be fair, I haven't actually watched anything beyond the season 6 premiere: Starlight left a bad taste in my mouth. And it isn't so much that she's a stand-in for Sunset Shimmer (which she totally is), but it's more that from the start the driving philosophy behind her touched a nerve for me. It then didn't help that the season 5 finale was the only one in the entire series I didn't like, not just because she was in it, but because I think it was poorly done to try and shoehorn her in.

I straight up actually just hate Starlight and would rather have seen her banished to the moon or stuck doing Celestia's ***** work now that Twilight has her own royal council. Sombra tried to take over the crystal empire and gets blown to bits, Starlight ends the world dozens of times and gets...tutoring. Like the entirety of season 5, everything about her just feels really off balance to me.

rant rant rant ***** ***** ***** whine whine whine. Sorry, I'm just bitter because I haven't been able to enjoy the show as much over the last year. I'll probably get caught up with it and back in stride once I visit some brony friends this coming weekend.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Lenny from the walking dead. Words cannot possibly describe how i tried to help him and be reasonable, but no. I took the brunt for most of his issues and conflicts (no spoilers, even if it a little late by now), yet he still went off the deep end every damn time. Give it a rest, Lenny...for once? Please? The game's attempt to build him as a troubled friend ready for forcing difficult choices later, didn't work as planned on me i guess.

Now, i don't really like sonic games as much as mildy tolerate them these days, and there aren't particularly any characters deeper than a 2D puddle of piss. But Amy is a special kind of horrible creature that appears to have only been designed and written by a ten year old boy who never shared a room with the opposite sex and applied some weird combination from their only experience of their overbearing mother with the shrill clinginess apparently required of the only female in sonic's life. In fact, now i think about it, it was so easy to naturally root for the bad guys in those games considering the main cast were consistently insufferable.

The Arkham Knght in..err, the Arkham Knight. Spoilers aside...what a whiney disappointment he was throughout the game. If i had known i would be dealing with a teenager throwing an elaborate tantrum where every line could be easily replaced with "but it's not fair!" I would've just sent him some razorblades and a screamo album to save me the hassle. There are real problems to be pursuing.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Bloo from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

He's just a complete asshole like-
Abuse his friends into making Madam Foster cookie into a business.
Photo crashing the group photo.
Disregard his best friend to joined that fake best friend and that Hollywood gigs.

I'm sure there was a few more expliots but it has been years since I had last watched the series.

Seriously how the hell did Mac make such an asshole character but in saying so Bloo is the exact oppersite of him to yeah...

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Flurrie, from Paper Mario: TTYD. Beyond having an annoying personality, she completely clashes with not only the rest of the partners but with the Mario universe as a whole, with a kind of gross grandmother-like sexualization that is as off-putting for me in real life as it apparently is in video games.

I can't think of any other side character from that series that even comes close to being so unfit for the series, a real equivalent to Jar Jar Binks from probably the slowest and most boring chapter of the game, to boot.

Really, her and her chapter are probably the only real flaws in character and level design that I can think of. And that's a damn shame.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Tidus from FFX. I don't even necessarily hate the way he's written but the execution was so fucking obnoxious. I don't think I need to remind you of that scene.

Marie from breaking bad was pretty annoying. She's ok as a side character but she can't really carry a scene on her own and they gave her a few subplots that go nowhere. The kleptomaniac thing was pointless and obnoxious.

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
Vash the fucking Stampede.

I spent the full last half of he series with the desire to slap the stupid out of him being the only thing holding the show back from being a masterpiece for me.