Character's you hate from stories that you love

Voidrunner

Feb 26, 2011
Probably weird but Harry Potter from Harry Potter. When he wasn't being bland and antisocial he was making some honestly cringe worthy decisions. Terminally stupid decisions. I suppose a lot of that came down to be being your standard fantasy hero, but honestly, it was annoying. I would have liked to follow anyone else as a protagonist. It got to the point where I would skip some sections of the books because I couldn't bare reading him doing something stupid again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Amanda Waller or Cadmus (the organization she's usually a part of) from Justice League or any iteration in general. You're not a Well Intended Extremists, you and your government think tank are no better than Lex Luthor (you actually worked with and trusted him you dumb *****) or the villains you fight all in the name of "protecting the USA". You antagonize the League because they're aren't controlled by the government. Waller is just another control freak no different from Slade. At least he knows how much of an asshole he is, and admits that he never has good intentions in mind. Oh, and for Justice League fans, EpilogueAce's fate being the exception never happened. Thanks writers for shoehorning this ***** in Batman Beyond and adding/retconning a backstory that was unnecessary and ruined the mythos for that series. Every time I see her, I want to smack her in the face show her how pathetic she and her goons really are.

A good quarter of the Bei Fongs are on this list. Toph (LoK version only), Lin (season 2 only), Suyin, and Bataar Jr. As much as I love Legend of Korra, they ruined Toph's character. They expect us to sympathize with Toph due to her dysfunctional family when it was she that caused most of it. What the hell Toph?! What do you think was going to happened by giving your two unsupervised daughters too much freedomThe complete opposite of Toph's overly strict parents. How could she not see the irony?, and playing favorites with your youngest because she didn't try to follow in your footsteps. No wonder Lin hated Suyin and was mad at her mother for so long. The whole thing blew up in your face, and you tried to act like nothing happened until you got old and regretful. And even when Toph admits her faults, she still has the gall to act rude and disrespectful to anyone because she thinks it's fun. This is one aspect I am always going to call writers out on.

Only in season 2 do I dislike Lin because they turned her in to a character stereotype of angry, short tempered, police chief we've seen over a million times. A chief is dumber because the plot call for it. Good thing they fixed this in Seasons 3 & 4.

Suyin I found somewhat tolerable, but when S4 happened, I lost all reason to care or find any sympathy. She is the reason why Kuvira got so powerful in the first place. Through inaction, Suyin basically let Kuvira get corrupted, all because she [Suyin] was afraid that the same thing would happened to her in quelling the chaos in the Earth Kingdom. Suyin, you imbecile, that is why you build a council or rely on the allies that have been helping you from the very beginning; that way they keep you in check and vice versa. She is just as responsible as Kuivra is for all the crap that happened.

Bataar Jr. is a self righteous smug dick not worth forgiving. The apple don't fall far from the tree in this case. Also, the spirits as well and Wan Shi Tong. the spirits are all hypocritical Godwin's Law invoking motherfuckers. They refuse to help Korra on the basis that she is "just like Kuvira". Hello, dumb asses, if she and her friends die, who's gonna stop Kuvira from harvesting more spirit vines?! Not to mention she's saved both worlds three times at that point. So fuck all of you! You are all ungrateful pricks! Oh, and Wan Shi Tong is one of the biggest Karma Houdinis in Western Animation. Almost bar none.

Sylvia Christel and Japser Batt Br. Sylvia is a con artists who claims survival of the fittest when in reality she is just a manipulative ***** who could get her ass kicked by Dan Hibiki. Yeah, she's that weak when you think about it. I was so glad when Travis called her out on her bullshit, and when she was found dirt poor and broken, I felt nothing. Jasper Batt Jr. is one of the worst final bosses in video games with annoying as hell second phase that can insta-kill a player if you're too close to the window. And the worst part, when he is near death, Jasper can and will spam his teleport attack almost non-stop. Things got so bad, that one time he knocked me into a stun loop for the entire second half of the fight. If there was anything I could do, I would get rid of his character entirely; or at least remove the insta-kill death hazard window. As far as I am concerned, Alice Twilight is the true final boss of No More Heroes 2. Or better yet, Sylvia could have been the final boss, and I would have no complaints.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Samtemdo8 said:
I hate Naruto himself. I hate the central protaginist of the show itself because Naruto is a fuckin annoying little shit at the beginning, and yes I get it he grows up and matures but still the idea of having to sit through him as a kid in the whole series is just unbearable.

I never watched the show because of him.

And Hinata, baby, you deserve much better than him :p

Also I dislike Ben from Ben 10 when he was 10 years old and him during Omniverse.

Alien Force and Ultimate Alien is THE Ben for me.
I hated Ben and Gwen from the original Ben 10 for me. They both came off as entitled brats with the show leaning heavily towards Gwen when she was not much better. Grandpa Max was the best. Thank God character development set in the sequel series, and they rarely ever bickered after that. Omniverse was one of the worst shows on Cartoon Network. I put it on the same level as Teen Titans Go!

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
That's easy, Kyubey from Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Yeah I know, his race is supposed to be battling entropy, but the way they do it is pretty despicable. Granted, they seem to operate from a "Blue and Orange Morality", and don't see things the same way humans do... But I still hate how smug ans self-righteous they can be.

Or to quote SFDebris, "Bunnycat's a dick."

At least he got what was coming to him at the end of "Rebellion Story, one of the few good things I have to say about that ending...

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
My least favourites are all from fairly obscure novels but here goes. Thankfully all of the get their comeuppance which is so satisfying to read.

Tyrone Winsole - Stolen (Kelley Armstrong): He's a multi-millionaire so called software genius who captures supernaturals, has his lackeys experiment on them until they've found out what they needed then hunts them down in the forest on his compound in a twisted real life video game experience. He believes the whole world will work the way he says it will just because and he has absolutely no respect for fair play or personal space. Thankfully he gets his throat ripped out only after the main character describes in detail all the slower and more painful ways she could kill him.

Travis Tesler - Frostbitten (Kelley Armstrong): Steroid pumped rapist who thinks he's better than everyone who thinks the main character will forgive him just after a quick apology and an offer to join their team, proclaiming himself as a great fighter just after he's had his ass thoroughly kicked by basically everyone on the good side.

Aimee Calthrop - Wish Upon A Star (Trisha Ashley) - The ex-fiancee of the love interest in the book. She dumps him just before they get married by running off with another bloke, swans backs in after she hears he's won the lottery and basically says 'oh, silly me, I made just a teeny tiny little mistake jilting you just before the wedding but everything is back on now right, give me all your money' and deluding only herself into thinking they're engaged again even though the guy tells her REPEATEDLY every time they see her that they're never, ever getting back together. And the fact that I share a first name with the insipid cow just makes me hate her all that much more.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Frankster said:
Daenarys Targaryen from Game of Thrones takes that title for me, and then some.

I wouldn't dislike the character so much if so many people didn't insist on white washing her and making her out to be super nice or kind, when she has shown to be just as petty, cruel and vengeful as any other ruler in westeros, with about 10 times more entitlement, damnit the throne is hers and she deserves it cos she has dragons and can burn to death anyone who disagrees!

Dany in show also has some odd moments of pandering girl power in ways the book version never did, "All men must die...But we are not men..." booya! Yeah, wimmin too strong to die! :D (in book she never says this and in fact draws the opposite conclusion, that all men must die including her, a very interesting change).

Dany is always portrayed as being in the right or at least in a positive sympathetic light with everything she does and seems to have moments designed to pander to the SJW types to keep them satisfied in between complaining about Samsa Rapes, Dany literally burns down the patriarchy at one point, to the glee of countless media articles (why the roomfull of big burly men never try to attack Daenarys which would be the most obvious thing to do I'll never know, guess gotta have her gloat and look all triumphant), and makes such crowd pleasing speeches such as "I'm not going to break the wheel...I'm going to SMASH it!" (she is talking about the politics of a land she doesn't understand and has never been been to..But it's ok, because it's Daenarys :D!! Woohoo you go girl!)

So yeah fuck Show Dany. Smug, insufferable git with annoying plot armor in a show where you genuinely don't know who is going to die, it seems a safe bet that Dany is going to be laming it up all the way to the end, and will probably be the one to end up on the Iron Throne. Which makes the character even more insufferable.
I was going to go on a long rant about the virtues of Dany, but then I noticed...

Frankster said:
Book Dany I got no problems with though.
You're alright by me.

Nov 28, 2007
I'm one of those weird people who actually likes The Old Republic MMO. Most of the companions are quite enjoyable, and even the late game companions tend to be pretty well fleshed out.

And then there's Skadge. Basically existing to be the "evil" comp for a Bounty Hunter, but unlike many of the dark side comps, there is no level of characterization for Skadge. He is one-note evil, and a brute beyond all likeability (including an implied rape threat to a female NPC, because why not?). In addition, there is no story reason for him to be part of the crew. For obvious reasons, a light side Bounty Hunter would be loathe to even work with Skadge, let alone let him on their ship, and even a Dark Side Bounty Hunter would space him due to his utter lack of respect and basically saying that he'd be more than eager to take over the ship and crew if he believes the Bounty Hunter isn't working effectively.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Sonmi said:
I was going to go on a long rant about the virtues of Dany, but then I noticed...

Frankster said:
You're alright by me.
Haha I dodged a bullet there xD
I started watching the show before reading the books in the interim between season 5 and 6..
So for the longest time I hated Daenarys full stop only to realize actually, it's just the show version, book Dany is legit.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Frankster said:
Sonmi said:

Frankster said:
You're alright by me.
Haha I dodged a bullet there xD
I started watching the show before reading the books in the interim between season 5 and 6..
So for the longest time I hated Daenarys full stop only to realize actually, it's just the show version, book Dany is legit.
Book Dany is by far a better character.

She's not as smug and overly confident about everything, she's not as much of a character with modern morals, she fucks up constantly, and while her intentions are in the right place, she lets herself be controlled by her anger and sense of self-righteousness far too often. She is a good person, she's simply not perfect.

Have you read A Dance with Dragons? Because I thought her chapter with Xaro Xhoan Daxos was terrific, he confronts her with her failure, and she can't help but feel helpless in front of it, she goes along with what is suggested to her by the Meereenese, and ends up lost in the wilderness with a bad case of diarrhea, struggling to build herself a straw hat to protect herself from sunstroke. In comparison, the show version of the character forces a marriage with Hizdhar out of her own initiative, and pretty much solves the whole problem by getting on her dragon and torching people to the sound of "epic didgeridoos" yet again. The character lacks vulnerability, struggle, or flaws, it's simply boring.

In all fairness though, while I find it absolutely ridiculous, I rather like her didgeridoo leitmotif.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
CoCage said:
Amanda Waller or Cadmus (the organization she's usually a part of) from Justice League or any iteration in general. You're not a Well Intended Extremists, you and your government think tank are no better than Lex Luthor (you actually worked with and trusted him you dumb *****) or the villains you fight all in the name of "protecting the USA". You antagonize the League because they're aren't controlled by the government. Waller is just another control freak no different from Slade. At least he knows how much of an asshole he is, and admits that he never has good intentions in mind. Oh, and for Justice League fans, EpilogueAce's fate being the exception never happened. Thanks writers for shoehorning this ***** in Batman Beyond and adding/retconning a backstory that was unnecessary and ruined the mythos for that series. Every time I see her, I want to smack her in the face show her how pathetic she and her goons really are.

A good quarter of the Bei Fongs are on this list. Toph (LoK version only), Lin (season 2 only), Suyin, and Bataar Jr. As much as I love Legend of Korra, they ruined Toph's character. They expect us to sympathize with Toph due to her dysfunctional family when it was she that caused most of it. What the hell Toph?! What do you think was going to happened by giving your two unsupervised daughters too much freedomThe complete opposite of Toph's overly strict parents. How could she not see the irony?, and playing favorites with your youngest because she didn't try to follow in your footsteps. No wonder Lin hated Suyin and was mad at her mother for so long. The whole thing blew up in your face, and you tried to act like nothing happened until you got old and regretful. And even when Toph admits her faults, she still has the gall to act rude and disrespectful to anyone because she thinks it's fun. This is one aspect I am always going to call writers out on.

Only in season 2 do I dislike Lin because they turned her in to a character stereotype of angry, short tempered, police chief we've seen over a million times. A chief is dumber because the plot call for it. Good thing they fixed this in Seasons 3 & 4.

Suyin I found somewhat tolerable, but when S4 happened, I lost all reason to care or find any sympathy. She is the reason why Kuvira got so powerful in the first place. Through inaction, Suyin basically let Kuvira get corrupted, all because she [Suyin] was afraid that the same thing would happened to her in quelling the chaos in the Earth Kingdom. Suyin, you imbecile, that is why you build a council or rely on the allies that have been helping you from the very beginning; that way they keep you in check and vice versa. She is just as responsible as Kuivra is for all the crap that happened.

Bataar Jr. is a self righteous smug dick not worth forgiving. The apple don't fall far from the tree in this case. Also, the spirits as well and Wan Shi Tong. the spirits are all hypocritical Godwin's Law invoking motherfuckers. They refuse to help Korra on the basis that she is "just like Kuvira". Hello, dumb asses, if she and her friends die, who's gonna stop Kuvira from harvesting more spirit vines?! Not to mention she's saved both worlds three times at that point. So fuck all of you! You are all ungrateful pricks! Oh, and Wan Shi Tong is one of the biggest Karma Houdinis in Western Animation. Almost bar none.

Sylvia Christel and Japser Batt Br. Sylvia is a con artists who claims survival of the fittest when in reality she is just a manipulative ***** who could get her ass kicked by Dan Hibiki. Yeah, she's that weak when you think about it. I was so glad when Travis called her out on her bullshit, and when she was found dirt poor and broken, I felt nothing. Jasper Batt Jr. is one of the worst final bosses in video games with annoying as hell second phase that can insta-kill a player if you're too close to the window. And the worst part, when he is near death, Jasper can and will spam his teleport attack almost non-stop. Things got so bad, that one time he knocked me into a stun loop for the entire second half of the fight. If there was anything I could do, I would get rid of his character entirely; or at least remove the insta-kill death hazard window. As far as I am concerned, Alice Twilight is the true final boss of No More Heroes 2. Or better yet, Sylvia could have been the final boss, and I would have no complaints.
Could not agree more with what they did with Toph in LoK but how they portrayed Aang pissed me off even more. I can buy his kids being resentful that he could not spend as much time with them as kids because he was the Avatar but I refuse to believe that Aang would have, for even one second allowed his kids to think he loved one of them more than the others. I refuse to believe that he would have allowed Bumi to believe that he was a disappointment to him.

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
Breakdown said:
Starbuck from the Battlestar Galactica reboot. She was a total pain in the arse, always disobeying orders, attacking people, or just being miserable all the time. And that was before she turned into some kind of space angel.
Oh my god this. I'm watching the series for the first time, in S4 at the moment, and it's clear that RDM loved her. She gets away with so much crap and I have to keep hearing about 'everything she's been through.' I mean yeah, you've been through a lot, but I like Tigh and he's been through way more, as has Tyrol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gizmo1990 said:
CoCage said:

Could not agree more with what they did with Toph in LoK but how they portrayed Aang pissed me off even more. I can buy his kids being resentful that he could not spend as much time with them as kids because he was the Avatar but I refuse to believe that Aang would have, for even one second allowed his kids to think he loved one of them more than the others. I refuse to believe that he would have allowed Bumi to believe that he was a disappointment to him.
The whole thing with Aang pissed me off too. From my point of view, that moment never happened. Along with most of Season 2 in general. Any thoughts on Suyin or Bataar Jr.?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
CoCage said:
Super Snip
Not really but to be honest by the time they turned up I had completely checked out of the show. I know a lot of people liked it and I am glad they did but I got very little enjoyment from watching LoK. I simply did not like damn near every character and that simply made the show something I did with my GF instead of something I did because I enjoyed it.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Sonmi said:
Have you read A Dance with Dragons? Because I thought her chapter with Xaro Xhoan Daxos was terrific, he confronts her with her failure, and she can't help but feel helpless in front of it, she goes along with what is suggested to her by the Meereenese, and ends up lost in the wilderness with a bad case of diarrhea, struggling to build herself a straw hat to protect herself from sunstroke. In comparison, the show version of the character forces a marriage with Hizdhar out of her own initiative, and pretty much solves the whole problem by getting on her dragon and torching people to the sound of "epic didgeridoos" yet again. The character lacks vulnerability, struggle, or flaws, it's simply boring.
Well I'm glad the view that show Dany gets things a bit too easy isn't limited to just my friends circle xD
A quote from one of my said friends as we were just talking about the latest episode: " then you have dany doing another dany,oh look at me being badass and cool while everything is handed to me on a silver platter and my enemies are as retarded as they come. Where is the guile? where is the cloak and dagger? i see no cunning or merit in anything she does"
As you say, it's simply boring unless you love the character for what she represents and simply enjoy her seeing her win all the time and get her own back every time somebody says mean things to her.

As I was telling another forumite, based on the media articles of GoT I've read, I really get the impression show Dany is super lionized in everything she does, so it's nice to hear I ain't this site's only show Dany hater. Like being a Lannister fan (which I also am) when everyone seems to love the Starks, it can get awfully lonely sometimes.

As for the chapter you mention, yar I remember that part, I think that was when I was starting to warm up to Dany after initially hating her due to coming from the Show. I started to like her proper when she ruled in Mehreen, really enjoyed the chapters involving court intrigues and even the subplots like with Quentyn Martell.
Looking back, the Mehreen chapters might actually have been my favorite bits in that particular book (little things like the shapevate NOT being a disloyal self serving villain despite the POV characters suspicions and their dislike over his harsh methods), which now makes me half rage over how it turned out in the show now I think about it. No wonder they had to get Tyrion up there early.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
CoCage said:
super long snip
Just to add on to Suyin, I like her when we are first introduce to her. But season 4 just made me hate her. Due to a lot of points you made, but also due to the fact that she acts like she was never wrong and acted she was in the right the whole time.

It made me super piss when they finally capture Kuvera and Suyin is all like "You're going to pay for your wrong doings!" *****! if you didn't act like a lazy ass and actually did something, None of this would have happen! The Earth kingdom was falling apart. None of the other nations would lift a finger, you were too busy being a lazy *****, and Kuvera was the one who actually fucking cared about the earth kingdom.

Buuut noooo. Keep talking about how you hate the government like you did in season 3, while doing nothing about it when you have a chance.

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
Frankster said:
So yeah fuck Show Dany. Smug, insufferable git with annoying plot armor in a show where you genuinely don't know who is going to die, it seems a safe bet that Dany is going to be laming it up all the way to the end, and will probably be the one to end up on the Iron Throne. Which makes the character even more insufferable.

I dropped the series simply because book 5 simply felt like GRRM had to react to the Mary Sue discussion to be had about Dany prior. He gave her some fake depth in the form of a thousand page slog in which nothing interesting happens... The series should have ended at the third book, or not have delved into all this magical bullshit like dragons and whitewalkers which makes everything else look utterly unimportant.

See how well Robert's rebellion was written about in GoT? Did he need 2-3 books of nonsense to set up the current political climate of the land for that? No? Then why the fuck was the WotFK so fucking stretched out? To set up for the super magic dragons or super zombie ice men? Fucking ridiculous.

That was a bit of a tangent, but I hate Dany, Jon, Bran and basically any other fucker involved with this magic shit. I remember feeling my heart actually fucking drop when I read the last chapter of GoT and dragons were born. Those dragons fucked up everything.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Wolverine from the X-Men for his constant shilling by the writers.

CoCage said:
I'd say Waller is still a well intentioned extremist. Yes she makes bad decisions for the right reasons but that's what well intentioned extremists do. It's why they are extremists. And Waller often has good reasons for not trusting the League. It's not just that they don't answer to the government, it's that they don't answer to anyone and that combined with the League's power can be very dangerous as we've seen at times. Don't forget in the DCAU, Superman almost wiped out humanity under Darkseid's control and the League took over the world in an alternate universe. There's also them having a giant laser built into the Watchtower,them letting Hawkgirl back into the League after her betrayal and not telling the world about the Justice Lords.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Agent_Z said:
Wolverine from the X-Men for his constant shilling by the writers.

CoCage said:
I'd say Waller is still a well intentioned extremist. Yes she makes bad decisions for the right reasons but that's what well intentioned extremists do. It's why they are extremists. And Waller often has good reasons for not trusting the League. It's not just that they don't answer to the government, it's that they don't answer to anyone and that combined with the League's power can be very dangerous as we've seen at times. Don't forget in the DCAU, Superman almost wiped out humanity under Darkseid's control and the League took over the world in an alternate universe. There's also them having a giant laser built into the Watchtower,them letting Hawkgirl back into the League after her betrayal and not telling the world about the Justice Lords.
She does have several points, but that still doesn't stop her and the organization making Galatea (Supergirl's evil clone who couldn't give shit about Cadmus intentions) and those cloned soldiers with a short life span. As far as I'm concered, they're pieces of shit with a few good points; and yet they takes things too far.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
TheVampwizimp said:
sageoftruth said:
For me, I'd say Teddie from Persona 4. As anyone who's played the game knows, he has an annoying voice which gets used incessantly to make tons of obvious statements for the first half of the game. I doubt anyone considered that a positive attribute of the game.

Also, while I took an interest in the other characters and their character development moments, Teddie's whole "Who am I?" schtick just had me going, "Can we get on with this already?" probably because I found his voice to be a real drama-killer.
Dude... YES.

I know they really tried with Teddie's character. I know what they were going for; subverting the traditional 'cute/annoying non-human dork' archetype into an intriguing character with depth, depth based on his literal emptiness no less. But they succeeded too well in his facade of inane stupidity. God did I get sick of his shtick, and honestly, now that I've finally finished the game I kind of don't want to replay it for the single reason that I dread how much Teddie I would have to put up with again.
God I hated Teddy. I was so happy when Rise showed up, since I would only have to deal with him in the occasional cut scene. The game was phenomenal, but Teddy was like an annoying itch that came up every now and then.

The thing is, the idea of his character is interesting. Sans, from Undertale, was quite similar. He was the smiling nihilist. He was always cracking jokes, and being a general goof ball. Then, as time goes on, you realize that he's actually got a lot of depth, and that he's in pain. Hell, he can be downright creepy sometimes, and his general goofiness actually makes his moments of seriousness more poignant. The difference is that Sans is actually funny, while Teddy felt like an amalgamation of old anime cliches. He felt... Lazy. All of his jokes were irritating puns, and he was generally an annoyance. I didn't feel like the writers really tried, or, at least, like they didn't quite know how to portray his character. They had the opportunity to have a really strange character, and they squandered it.