Characters You Hated Until They Died

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Kurt. He was cold to the group when you first met him. Booted you right the hell out of the base. He was using Fourier's research to attempt to extract eleth from the Valkines Cryas. Carelessly ignoring the dangers the research poses under the perception that Fendel is doomed one way or the other. But when you defeat him, the machine begins to act violently. In order to stop it, Kurt slams his spear into one of the power lines to force it to shut down. Gave his own life to that his entire nation could continue to live in hopes that things will get better. After all, he was only doing what he did for the good of Fendel, so his countrymen didn't have to live the way they were. So they could all have a better life. Kurt was a goddamn hero. Also also, going farther into the cave you'll see Lorelia's tombstone with Kurt's locket on it. Kurt loved Lorelia deep down, but he kept his feelings to himself out of respect for Malik.

That man was a goddamn bro to the very end.

Skeggers

Mar 1, 2012
Not that I hated the character at all; I think he's one of the best devised characters in this generation of gaming, but the Joker in Arkham Asylum. I choose him only because he's THE classic villain and his death came out of nowhere. You never expect a Marvel or DC comic book character to die because they're worth too much, so when they do, it comes as a massive surprise.

Obviously given the aftercredits, it's not confirmed that he's even dead, but John Carver in Dead Space 3 was a character that I never really liked right up until the end of the game. I only played the single player, so maybe you get to know the guy better in co-op, but he mostly just shouted at Isaac for most of the game. But then when you enter the machine and they're both exploring different areas, their dialogue actually really made him feel like a character rather then just an empty shell for a second player to jump into if they felt the need. Then when the moon blows up and the only person you hear speaking at the end is Isaac, it's disheartening.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
From Avatar Legend of Korra

Tarloc. My god I hated this character so much. Until you learn his backstory and what he been through. Then you release he could have turn out a lot worst. And at the very end, he kills himself as well as his brother. Perhaps to stop the cycle his father started all those years ago.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Concerning Walking Dead:

I hated Ben. Hated him in life, hated him in death. He was a constant liability, of very little help to anybody, and was responsible for the deaths of numerous people. When I chose to let him drop I had no second thoughts at all. Maybe if he hadn't asked me to drop him I would have, but he did, and I obliged. I found his little outburst against Kenny to be unconvincing too.

Apparently I'm the minority in this.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Eddie. Man that kid was annoying, always moping about and whining. Then he flips his lid over an inane comment James makes and I'm forced to kill him. In a meat locker. Cold and alone. It was quite tragic.

Pigsy. He was more than a little creepy, especially the way he kept trying to win Trip over. But his final selfless act of sacrifice made him one of my favourite characters in gaming.

Nero and Blanck. Those two were the bane of my existence, always thwarting me, mocking me and constantly overpowering me. Then I learned the truth, about how Baion was using them as mere tools only to cast them aside when he was done, just as he had done with Red. I'm sorry guys, I had no choice.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I hated, hated, HATED that stupid twat in charge of Deadman Wonderland. Idiot is the most unlikeable bastard I say.

For games, I remember that twat Lautrec. Kill off the Firelink Shrine Fire Keeper, sonny? Surely you jest! Nope, not even after I rescued him. I really felt good smashing a Zweihander into that skull of his.

Mausthemighty

Aug 3, 2011
spartandude said:
The Walking Dead Episode 5

Kenny
me and him had our ups and our downs, some times a liked him and others i hated him. at the end of episode 4 when hes hesitant to join me because i didnt agree with him ever time despite i protected him and his son at every opitunity i flipped and hated him so much.
But when he rejoined me and sacrificed him self in that dark building to get Christa and the walkie talkie... Kenny im so sorry i hated you men.

PS, i just finished The Walking Dead Episode 5, man that had me in tears at a few bits
I found Kenny very annoying. He was always talking about how I wronged him while he didn't help me at times. When he began talking about I wasn't there for him at the end of episode 4 I completely flipped.
And Ben. I hated him so much. Carly gets shot in the head for something he did and after that he decides to tell me! I wanted Lee to have babies with Carly! Also the stupid action in the school where he picks out the axe from the door with all the walkers behind it and almost dooms us all I wanted to kill him right there. A few minutes later I dropped him from the Bell tower with a big grin. That felt really good.
The next time I play the game I'll be the biggest asshole possible to everyone except Clem!

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
That head terrorist pseudo-prophet from Hydrophobia. Never before have villains made me hate them so much as these jokers and her in particular. I even sympathize with the soulless Replicas from F.E.A.R. for crying out loud, but seeing her blow up was a pleasure. Preachy, hypocritical, self-congratulatory *****.

EDIT: Oh wait, I'm terribly sorry. I'm supposed to mention a character I look back on more fondly after their death? Uhm. Andrew Ryan from BioShock, I guess. The entire first half of the game he is preachy, arrogant, annoying and conniving, but the way he went... and what happens afterwards... well, yeah.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Wow there certainly is a lot of hate for
Ben, but if you really think about he's not responsible for the death of anyone. The Bandits were already attacking and would have killed everyone sooner rather than later, as Kenny didn't have the RV fixed, and the stupid crazy lady [can't remember her name] didn't want to go anyway, even though they were being attacked by bandits.

Ben gave them enough time to fix the RV and make a break for it, and while he should have told everyone [or at least Lee] he did the right thing.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Far Cry 2
All the teammates. Having a guy/girl's blood leak over your fingers as you inject him furiously in the hope that this shot will save him from death was quite emotional for me. And if you don't have any, the poor guy/girl will pull your pistol to their own chin in a desperate signal to end their suffering. One of the few times in gaming I have ever felt that I have failed an NPC.
Nice graphics, too.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
Pigsy. He was more than a little creepy, especially the way he kept trying to win Trip over. But his final selfless act of sacrifice made him one of my favourite characters in gaming.
i actually didnt like him until the dlc. when he died i was just kinda glad because he was so annoying. then i played the dlc and i fuckin loved him

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
JaceValm said:
For me, Joffrey Baratheon from A Song of Ice and Fire. I hated him with a passion when he was around and was so satisfied when he died, then... nothing. He was gone, the story moved on and Tommen took the throne, but Cersei was really in control this time. I realised how much I missed Joffrey, or more accurately his actions. Of course I hated him and what he did but he was interesting and did things. As soon as he was gone Cersei took centre stage at Kings Landing and Feast for Crows was essentially a one woman show of her screwing up everything she touches. I miss that blonde haired jerk.
Maybe say what you're spoiling (it's Game of Thrones in case anyone else is about to fall into the trap). The TV series is way behind the books, so some of us don't know who bites the dust yet.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Kenny... hooo boy Kenny. I really didn't mind him at first, but the more I tried to be the voice of reason the group needed the more he turned on me. Apparently trying to reason with Larry is "putting Duck in danger".

The Illusive Man... if it weren't for Martin Sheen I would have completely hated this guy. They don't go as much into the stuff I don't like him for in the games, but in the books he's pretty much a monster. But when he went all Saren at the end of Mass Effect 3 I kind of felt for the guy. He obviously at one point wanted what was best for humanity and even believed he was doing the right thing even when he was being controlled by the Reapers. As the old saying goes, the path to Hell is paved with good intentions.

scorptatious said:
Final Fantasy IX:

When Queen Brahne dies.

Throughout the entire first half of the game, she has caused nothing but grief. She destroys entire cities, which causes people to demonize Vivi even though he did nothing wrong and she attempts to execute HER OWN DAUGHTER after extracting the eidolons from her.

I absolutely despised her all the way up to the end of Disc 2. Where Kuja turns on her and sends Bahamut to destroy her fleet. The look of terror on her face as she was about to get blasted actually made me feel sorry for her.

What was worse was the aftermath. Garnet goes to her mother's side and the Queen apologizes to her for everything she had done. And then she dies. And despite all the things that she did, people still remembered her fondly and gave her a proper burial. And Garnet still saw her as her mother. It was at that point, I couldn't bring myself to hate her anymore.
That scene was sad and all but it really didn't get to me all that bad... until Vivi started to cry. I don't know what it is, but seeing Vivi so upset after everything she had put him and the rest of the party through was enough to really tug on my heartstrings.

fuzzywuzzums

Jul 21, 2012
I would say it's a mixed hate on almost all character but a select few who need their souls to be ripped in half by Hakkar (cookies if you get the name reference)

Mithcha

Oct 21, 2011
Mass Effect
Kaiden Alenco (sp). I seem to be one of the few who liked Ashley more, but when he died I was genuinely pissed off at Seren. Incidentally that first play-through is the quickest ever time I killed Seren. Took about 30 seconds, nowadays the fight lasts at least five minutes, dunno what happened.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
As soon as i saw thread title i immediately thought Ben from walking dead xD

Goddamnit im not a special snowflake...

Otherwise Saren from first mass effect, fuck kai leng (in his case, i still hate him after his death).
And that answer was said too, which goes to show how well written those 2 characters were ^^

fuzzywuzzums

Jul 21, 2012
Bastilla.
That oh-so intolerant character that has her bum firmly stuck on the high horse for the majorirty of SW:KOTOR. From the moment you meet her, she says she didn't need your help when she clearly does! Also, she possesses a force power called Batlle Meditation, which tilts the outcome of big fleet battles. Which is her main excuse for most of the game for her behavior. And just when you think she starts to mellow out and becomes slightly likeable, BAM! Off to the darkside she goes, way to ressist it like a true jedi *sarcasm*. (Note: You can choose to either yank her back to the light side or let her die by your hand near the end of the game, which felt like a fitting revenge, finally putting the smash on that annoying bum)

I may have been to harsh, but If you play through that game you'll know my gripes with her. Btw it's an awesome oldie rpg if you like SW games in the 2004-2006 range.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
fuzzywuzzums said:
<spoiler=SW:KOTOR> Bastilla.
That oh-so intolerant character in SW:KOTOR that had her butt stuck firmly on the high horse, with an excuse too! See here, she has a power called Battle Meditation, a force power that tilts the battle between big fleets, and it's her excuse the whole game. Well, granted, she does mellow out a bit as you go on, but then BAM! She goes to the dark side, way to resist that torture, gal... (Note: You can choose to either save her or end her miserable existence near the end of the game)
You don't need to put asterixes into your spoiler tags here (fixed em in the quote), just a heads up, i dont think it's against the rules or anythinng to spoil but people can be testy about it and it's not nice.

OT: Umm.....

I felt really sad for Andrew Ryan by about halfway through and outright awful after he died, made me really wanna go cave in the other guys skull though.
Kessler, after finding out who he was and why he did it all, anybody who played doesn't need more explanation