CHARACTERS you like that everyone else seems to hate!

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Yes, this topic is inspired by Bhaalspawn's topics, so kudos to him for inspiring me. I want to know what characters that a lot of people give a lot of crap are actually liked by you guys, regardless of whether or not you like or hate the work they are from. Also, I'd prefer it if people explain their choices to better facilitate understanding rather than ignorant hatred. Hatred should be earned! I'll start (obviously):

I really like Cloud, from FFVII. It's true, I love FFVII and would easily be described by some as a "fanboy" but putting that aside, I think he gets a lot of hate that he just doesn't deserve. People say he's "too emo," which I find to be flatly untrue. For a character who'd been through what he has, he's pretty upbeat. He's actually kind of a goof: he makes lame jokes, he's uncharismatic, and he's somewhat clumsy. He's the exact opposite of the archetypal leader, but is often overshadowed by his far more zany companions. Really, the only time he ever get's really down in the dumps is 1) when Aeris dies, and 2) when he's tricked into believing his whole life is a total lie and he's not even a real person, AND THOSE ARE PRETTY GOOD REASONS TO BE UPSET. He even gets better by the end of the game, only to be inexplicably super-emofied by that god-awful movie.

I also like Cristian Bale's Batman. I admit, the voice is a bit strange, but it makes sense for him to hide it. He really does make a good Batman though; he plays the playboy aspect of Bruce Wayne very well, and is just as good at playing Batman. Bale is an asshole, no doubt, but he is a good actor and a good Batman.

I'll think of others when I'm not distracted by my roommate and his girlfriend's freakishly loud sex. >_<

Kolby Jack

Apr 29, 2011
l3o2828 said:
I don't hate cloud, nor any FF character before FF12.
Not even Tidus?!?!?! You, good sir, have invalidated your own opinion!

[small]Kidding... sort of.[/small]

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Jack the Potato said:
l3o2828 said:
I don't hate cloud, nor any FF character before FF12.
Not even Tidus?!?!?! You, good sir, have invalidated your own opinion!

[small]Kidding... sort of.[/small]
I don't hate tidus.
YES he might not be the best characterized character ever, but he isn't the worst, that award goes to the FF13 cast.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
When are we going to get one of these threads about types of pickles? It's only a matter of time, I tell you.

Also, I like Anders in Dragon Age 2, so I seem to be in a very, very small minority.

OniYouji

Jan 4, 2011
Basically every hated character in Ace Attorney. I do dislike Cody Hackins and Sal Manella, but aside from that, I can't find myself hating anyone. Everybody seems to despise Kay Faraday, Klavier, Ema Skye, Wendy Oldbag...I loved them all.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Roman in GTA IV. Yes, he calls all the time and wants to do something, but he does it because he loves Niko and wants to spend time with him. He screw things up all the time, but he's loyal and would never betray a friend.

Froken Keke

May 21, 2011
Well, apparently, from what I've read here, everyone hates Desmond from Assassin's Creed, which kind of perplexes me, since I've never seen that dislike anywhere else.
I like him, and I think his story is one of the main reasons why I continue buying the games. (Apart from the fun gameplay, of course.)

Kolby Jack

Apr 29, 2011
Oh yea, I also don't really hate Scrappy-Doo. Yes, I am a troper and know of the page named after him, and agree that he fulfills all the requirements to be hated by everyone. The thing is though, I used to watch Scooby-Doo all the time as a kid, and Scrappy was a fun character in those days. I'd make the effort to go back and see if I still don't hate him, but to be honest these days I hate just about all things Scooby, no matter the era. It would literally cause me pain to sit through 5 minutes of any Scooby-Doo show, even for my own curiosity.

FenrinJRaten

Jul 27, 2011
I don't know why everyone I know of and those I encounter on the internet don't like Tidus from Final Fantasy Ten. People on the internet and real-life tend to say or portray him as either being overly girly in comparison with other Final Fantasy protagonists, whiny, not as well characterised and various what nots that most tend to say about most FF game protagonist anyway.

I feel that he is a nice change away from the 'angsty', 'dark' and 'brooding' main protagonist that most Final Fantasy and Japanese role playing games tend to have like Squall Leonhart, Neku Sakuraba and etcetera. He's funny, he's happy and throughout the game, he brings a smile to my face since he's so upbeat and quite refreshing, since I played a lot of Final Fantasy games.

I admit, he does have daddy issues but I think that's what makes him likeable and 'real' because he's back story can be easily related to a player who may have some of the same issues. I can't say the same for Cloud and Squall and to some extent Zidane (although he's my favourite character too) because they all have back stories that are more fantasy based (a super-powered soldier, an orphan mercenary whose somewhat an asshole to everyone and a circus thief) that I see commonly in fantasy books. Tidus is a celebrity sportsman that plays water polo underwater. For me that's new, refreshing and rather interesting for a fantasy protagonist to be and made me more curious as to how they'll develop such a 'normal' character in a fantasy game where they carry swords that are bigger then themselves and can summon magical creatures.

So for me, that was the hook and the main reason that I liked Final Fantasy Ten. His rather 'realistic' characterisation helped immersed me into the game that is very well known to be cinematic and cut-scenes heavy and almost had me teary-eyed in the end with his 'death'. (although they ruined that by reviving him in X-2 -shakes fist- CURSE YOU SQUARE ENIX!!)

TL:DR? - He's more real and easier to relate to that other FF protagonists.

Crissaegrim

Jul 3, 2011
"What'ya buyin? heh heh heh, thank you." My motherfucking bro, man. That blue flame was the one thing that made me feel safe to breathe in that game.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
Trucken said:
Roman in GTA IV. Yes, he calls all the time and wants to do something, but he does it because he loves Niko and wants to spend time with him. He screw things up all the time, but he's loyal and would never betray a friend.
Hoho Cousin, lets go Bowling!! =D

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I like him in a lab rat sort of way. It's just fun watching him squirm and seeing what he does next when presented with an obstacle. That's why I didn't really like him in the Rebuild movies; Too much stable behaviour, not enough mental squirming. I like my Shinji as a fucked up ball of fear.

But I can understand why other people might hate his guts.