Charlie Sheen, Whoopi Goldberg to Star in 9/11 Action-Drama

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Charlie Sheen, Whoopi Goldberg to Star in 9/11 Action-Drama

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1294/1294657.png

Surely, these are the end times.

To put it as objectively as possible, the majority of films based on the September 11th attacks have been...let's call it "divisive." While some critics have praised the likes of 2006's World Trade Center and 2007's Reign Over Me for having the fortitude to tackle an inherently distressing subject, others have trashed the films for perceivedly exploiting what is, again, an inherently distressing subject.

It's also a subject that film critics and audiences alike will soon have to address again, because for whatever reason, not one but *two* movies based around 9/11 have been put into production in recent weeks. The first is a "9/11 road trip comedy" based on the true story (first published in Vanity Fair) of Michael Jackson, Marlon Brando, and Elizabeth Taylor's journey out of New York City following the September 11th attacks, starring Joseph Fiennes [http://www.screenjunkies.com/tv/tv-news/michael-jackson-joseph-fiennes-911-tv-movie-3000593], of all people, as the King of Pop.

Obviously, you'd have every right to think that the second movie wouldn't even attempt to one-up that movie in terms of craziness. You'd also be wrong, because Variety [http://variety.com/2016/film/news/charlie-sheen-whoopi-goldberg-nine-eleven-1201723971/] is reporting that director Martin Guigui, who is perhaps best known for directing National Lampoon's Cattle Call, will be teaming up with Saw producer Mark Berg to bring us an "action-drama" set on 9/11 starring Charlie Sheen and Whoopi Goldberg.

Simply-titled Nine Eleven, the independent film began shooting on Monday and "depicts five individuals trapped in an elevator in the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001."

Wow. This is truly one of those times when words fall short, so let's let Guigui do the talking!

"We are immensely grateful to bring this inspirational story to life. 'Nine Eleven' is a highly emotional journey and it took a dynamic bunch to collectively come together to make this unique film happen," said Guigui.

"We are fortunate to have such a gifted cast on board. Both Charlie and Whoopi are native New Yorkers who strongly identify with this story."

Well, I guess that we can pretty much close the book on what the most batshit insane up movie of 2016 will be. Before I do, though, I'd just like to leave this friendly reminder of another story that Whoopi Goldberg strongly identified with: The story of the original moon-landing being faked.

Fin.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2016/film/news/charlie-sheen-whoopi-goldberg-nine-eleven-1201723971/]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Two of the most repugnant Hollywood actors to act in a movie about one of the most politically abused events in history. Americans need to get over it already. It's been 15 years and most of them still act as if it happened last year.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Two of the most repugnant Hollywood actors to act in a movie about one of the most politically abused events in history. Americans need to get over it already. It's been 15 years and most of them still act as if it happened last year.
History is kind of a permanent thing. And I'm sure tons of things are more politically abused than that. I'm not saying this movie isn't likely going to be a load of garbage, but not all Americans are stuck in 2001. Nor aren't there tons of people stuck in other parts of history all over the world.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
I hope this gets everyone in it an oscar and that James Woods plays a window washer who's only line is "Oh Come On!" right after he finishes washing the last window and he sees the 747 heading straight at him.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Anti-American Eagle said:
I hope this gets everyone in it an oscar and that James Woods plays a window washer who's only line is "Oh Come On!" right after he finishes washing the last window and he sees the 747 heading straight at him.
I'm imagining James Franco and J K Simmons as insane comedy duo military generals who are put in charge when the threat is first made and make everything a million times worse, in Dr. Strangelove fashion deciding that the best way to combat terrorists attacking the first tower is to commandeer another passenger jet and fly it into the second tower themselves - To prove that the American military cannot be outdone, The less insane members of the American military realise what they've done but it's too late to stop them so they have to cover-up their actions.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I can see this sorta thing from Sheen but I would have thought Woopie would have had more integrity... maybe.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
JaredJones said:
Variety [http://variety.com/2016/film/news/charlie-sheen-whoopi-goldberg-nine-eleven-1201723971/] is reporting that director Martin Guigui, who is perhaps best known for directing National Lampoon's Cattle Call, will be teaming up with Saw producer Mark Berg to bring us an "action-drama" set on 9/11 starring Charlie Sheen and Whoopi Goldberg.
I believe this is the "Everything and Especially the Kitchen Sink" approach.

What a time to be alive.

Adam Jensen said:
This ain't nothin', brah. Ever talked to an older Cambodian about Khmer Rouge? People get stuck in traumatic events all over the world, not just America.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Adam Jensen said:
OK where does this Charlie Sheen and Whoopi Goldberg hate arrived from?

And how does this affect their ABILITY as ACTORS!?

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Samtemdo8 said:
Adam Jensen said:

Not sure where the Goldberg hate is from (other than The View) but Sheen has a ridiculous arrest and drug record combined with a spiral straight into downright parody. He hit rock bottom, drilled til he hit the mantle, and set up a studio specializing in memes and self-referential parody.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Adam Jensen said:

How can we remember the fallen if the politicians and media never let us forget?

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
monkeymangler said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Adam Jensen said:

Not sure where the Goldberg hate is from (other than The View) but Sheen has a ridiculous arrest and drug record combined with a spiral straight into downright parody. He hit rock bottom, drilled til he hit the mantle, and set up a studio specializing in memes and self-referential parody.
I suspect a large amount of the hatred for Goldberg stems from the fact that she is a rape apologist who defended Roman Polanski.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I'm gonna do something I don't normally like doing but as someone who was personally effected by 9/11, honestly, everyone needs to fuck off. I've rarely met someone who's two cents on the subject didn't warrant them a nice icy slap in the face.

I don't want Hollywood's take on the incident, because there is no way that this could be tastefully done. NO WAY. I remember movies about tragedies like Titanic, and I can only imagine that if you were on that boat and survived that movie would make you sick to your stomach. I especially don't want Charlie Sheen or Whoopi Goldberg's opinion on the subject. I'm sure they have interesting takes on the subject but none of that shit is going to be productive. I resent them labeling this as action. There was no action. There was heroism, but it's on film already. It will live on in the people that risked their lives to help others out, and who worked together to make sure that the people around them were safe under extraordinary circumstances.

I hate politicians who use 9/11 for their political gain, and with a HUGE ironic twist, Trump was the only politician that ever managed to talk about 9/11 tastefully. Everyone else can go straight to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Another voice I'm completely uninterested in people who keep saying "its been [x] years now, get over it." I'm not saying you're wrong, you're right... Now internalize your "rightness" and keep it to yourself thank you. To some, that day changed everything about the way some of us will see the world. It is not that 9/11 is the driving force behind everything we might think or feel, but it does inform the way we see threats. Does that mean I am on board when a politician uses it as an excuse to invade another country? No. Does it mean I hate Muslims and think they're all terrorists? Absolutely not. Do I like drone warfare and needless government encroachment on civil liberties? HELL NO. But there is always that voice in my mind that will say, this is what somebody wants to do.

So going back to 9/11. Let 9/11 be part of history. A significant event that will sit in the minds of many Americans for a few select generations. When I'm 90 and it's a distant memory for all of us I'll be ok with a few actors taking a swing at it. But not now. Not these guys. Whoopi and Charlie Sheen have literally said nothing of interest between the two of them.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I have nothing against making movies about 9/11, nor do I have any problem with Whoopi Goldberg in a movie about 9/11 (maybe). However, considering Charlie Sheen is one of the biggest '9/11 is an inside job' wackos that had a camera in front of him, I have absolutely everything against him being in an 'action-drama' 9/11 movie. It'd be like putting a famous Holocaust Denier or Anti-Semite as a Jewish main character in a serious Holocaust film. Now, if this were a comedy 9/11 film, I could see Charlie Sheen being in there to make fun of 9/11 conspiracy theorists, but in a serious movie? People know his stance on it, and that should keep him out of any serious 9/11 film.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Shocksplicer said:
monkeymangler said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Adam Jensen said:

I suspect a large amount of the hatred for Goldberg stems from the fact that she is a rape apologist who defended Roman Polanski.
Also, She and Sheen are big Truthers. And that bunch can all go fuck right off.
Kameburger said:
I hate politicians who use 9/11 for their political gain, and with a HUGE ironic twist, Trump was the only politician that ever managed to talk about 9/11 tastefully. Everyone else can go straight to hell as far as I'm concerned.
Trump? Tasteful? I can read the words, but my mind cannot process them together. And now my nose is bleeding. Groovy.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Anti-American Eagle said:
Dude, you completely left out the primary audience draw; the plane is voiced by David Spade.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
And the pursuit of cultural relevance continues ever onward.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Darth_Payn said:
Kameburger said:
Trump? Tasteful? I can read the words, but my mind cannot process them together. And now my nose is bleeding. Groovy.
It was his debate moment where Cruz kept accusing him of being too much of a "New Yorker" to be president, but Trump countered by saying that if you look at how New York came together after 9/11 as a evidence that New York was a warm resilient place and rejected elitist characterization that Cruz seemed to allude to. It was one of the most sober, candid, and oddly out of character things Trump has said during this election cycle. He spoke about 9/11 from the perspective of someone who was close to the incident, and doesn't speak about it trivially. As much as I can't stand anything else he says for what ever reason when he talks about 9/11, very much unlike most other politicians, I really don't mind.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Have you ever read an article title that immediately made you grimace in pain? Yeah that's what just happened to me. Nothing good can come from these two idiots starring in a movie together.