Cheap Tactics in Battlefield 3?

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Has anyone else come across some cheap tactics in Battlefield 3?

At the moment for me there are wa-haaaay too many engineers with rocket launchers noob-tubing, and then theres camping

i know that camping is a pretty shithouse argument considering nearly everyone does in every FPS to date, however, it's worse in Battlefield 3.

anyway what cheap tactics have you come across in multiplayer in BF3? fire away.

I Stomp on Kittens

Don't let go!
Nov 3, 2008
I hate the snipers that use the semi-auto snipers and just keeping popping away.

Ex. I'm running along then all of a sudden I hear "pashh..pashh pashh" I am hit once and suppressed. I try to get to cover and he fires 3-4 more times to finally kill me. This happens in sniper battles also and it pisses me off when I'm actually taking my time and taking good shots with the bolt actions.

SirLOLWTFBBQ

Dec 31, 2010
The only bullshit I've seen is the people who like to cherry-pick in Rush, specifically Operation Metro. I'm usually on teams that can't outflank the guys anyway so I'm always the one to get around and shoot the guys in the back.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game, and it's got potential for GotY.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
There are some really cheap tank tactics, especially around the B flag in grand bazaar. They just place their tank at one of the other points and shoot into the alley. First thing I always do now is put mines on both ends of that alley.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Great. The "this tactic is cheap!" noobs have invaded Battlefield. The only n00b tactic I see on display here is calling the freakin' engineer's rocket launcher a "noob tube." What is it with people who do that kind of thing?

legend of duty

Apr 30, 2011
Never seen a noob tuber but i think the only reason people use engineer is for tanks that pop out of nowhere. Oh and i don't want to sound like an ass but if you want see cheap tactics play MW2.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I'm sorry OP but have you ever tried to kill people with the RPG? If you're crazy/crazy good enough to do it then you are definately no noobtuber /indignant speech

OT: All i have to say is...TACTICAL LIGHT Y U NO PISS OFF?!

*ahem*

I meant to say was; cheap tactics? I'm too busy in my 100000 dollar jet to bother learning tactics.

Righto chaps let's give the Luftwaffe generic enemy persons what for eh?!

*pulls down goggles*

STRAFING RUN AWWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
42 said:

At the moment for me there are wa-haaaay too many engineers with rocket launchers noob-tubing, and then theres camping

i know that camping is a pretty shithouse argument considering nearly everyone does in every FPS to date, however, it's worse in Battlefield 3.

anyway what cheap tactics have you come across in multiplayer in BF3? fire away.
Er well buddy i hate to break it to you but that's war, you don't just run out willy nilly into the battlefield (pun intended) you're meant to hunker down, suppress the enemy, inch forward when you see an opportunity. You park your ass down and hold onto objectives. You defend, you advance with armour, you provide support. This isn't Call of Duty and this isn't Quake.

The reason we see so many engineers is that they are the only really viable anti-armour class, aside from Support and their C4 so people tend to gravitate towards them since they are so much more equipped to deal with whatever situation comes their way. Unfortunately due to the nature of a few maps (larger ones in particular) it really incentivises this style of play and so you see a full team of engineers running around so they don't get roflstomped when a tank or an LAV decides to roll up and start pounding the objectives. No-one likes to face enemy armour with nothing but one grenade and a shitty AK.

I haven't seen anything i could really genuinely call "cheap", except for of course hackers. I ocassionally see grenade spam on the smaller maps but that's too be expected. It's not like you aren't given the opportunity to flank behind the enemy, which is generally an effective way of clearing them out if they're all huddled around an objective with snipers and LMGs.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
I'm sorry OP but have you ever tried to kill people with the RPG? If you're crazy/crazy good enough to do it then you are definately no noobtuber /indignant speech

*ahem*

I meant to say was; cheap tactics? I'm too busy in my 100000 dollar jet to bother learning tactics.

*pulls down goggles*

Until your plane self-destructs when it goes down to less than 30% health of course.

OT: Rocket launchers on maps where soldiers bunch up is annoying i.e. Grand Bazar and Operation Metro. I guess grenade spamming is also a nuisance, but other than that nothing so far.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Gralian said:
42 said:

Er well buddy i hate to break it to you but that's war, you don't just run out willy nilly into the battlefield (pun intended) you're meant to hunker down, suppress the enemy, inch forward when you see an opportunity. You park your ass down and hold onto objectives. You defend, you advance with armour, you provide support. This isn't Call of Duty and this isn't Quake.

The reason we see so many engineers is that they are the only really viable anti-armour class, aside from Support and their C4 so people tend to gravitate towards them since they are so much more equipped to deal with whatever situation comes their way. Unfortunately due to the nature of a few maps (larger ones in particular) it really incentivises this style of play and so you see a full team of engineers running around so they don't get roflstomped when a tank or an LAV decides to roll up and start pounding the objectives. No-one likes to face enemy armour with nothing but one grenade and a shitty AK.

I haven't seen anything i could really genuinely call "cheap", except for of course hackers. I ocassionally see grenade spam on the smaller maps but that's too be expected. It's not like you aren't given the opportunity to flank behind the enemy, which is generally an effective way of clearing them out if they're all huddled around an objective with snipers and LMGs.
you make it sound like it was almost real. *shudders*

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
None that spring to mind, really. It's pretty well balanced from what I've seen so far. And the Engineer launchers aren't nearly as dangerous to infantry as they are to tanks, as they're supposed to be. They might suppress fairly well, but they're not fire-and-forget automatic kill generators like you make them out to be.

As far as things that annoy me go, I guess one would be the people who immediate leap into the gunship/interceptors at the start of the match...and then immediately veer out of control and crash. It's becoming less and less frequent, though. I suppose that's just people getting better.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
42 said:

I assume you're playing the Xbox version?

I'll admit that there are a lot of engineers on the PC version, mainly because it's easy mode just too shoot a rocket into the cover someone is using. Camping however isn't an issue with the PC one considering the game modes are generally attack/defend.

I personally hate snipers who exclusively use the semi auto rifles. you're basically saying "I'm not good enough, so I'll shoot a whole lot of shots at you". I mainly use recon with the SV98 bolt action rifle. Out of the 161 kills I have with it, I have 128 headshots, so 80%.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
SirLOLWTFBBQ said:
Some people in this thread are making me cringe.
you and me both.

Waaghpowa said:
42 said:

I assume you're playing the Xbox version?

I'll admit that there are a lot of engineers on the PC version, mainly because it's easy mode just too shoot a rocket into the cover someone is using. Camping however isn't an issue with the PC one considering the game modes are generally attack/defend.

I personally hate snipers who exclusively use the semi auto rifles. you're basically saying "I'm not good enough, so I'll shoot a whole lot of shots at you". I mainly use recon with the SV98 bolt action rifle. Out of the 161 kills I have with it, I have 128 headshots, so 80%.
Yeah I am playing the 360 version, (only because i don't have a PC).

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
42 said:
Yeah I am playing the 360 version, (only because i don't have a PC).
All I can really tell you is that, based on my experience with both PC gaming and console gaming, both give generally different experiences. In team based games on PC, people tend to be more active in completing objectives and being supportive rather than worrying about their kill count, whereas people on consoles are the opposite.

Keep in mind, this is based on my experience, in no way am I suggesting that this is fact.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
The Wykydtron said:

*ahem*

*pulls down goggles*

I have never had a problem with tactical lights. To me, they're just a gigantic "aim here" marker.
OT: Rockets. Rockets everywhere. On infantry maps.

Exile714

Feb 11, 2009
I love reading people's excuses for cheap tactics. In some cases, like quick-scoping, people complain that it's unrealistic and everyone jumps on them saying FPS games aren't supposed to be realistic. Then, someone complains about snipers and the response is: "it makes it more realistic."

Well, here's a newsflash. War isn't fun. People don't go to war to have fun. FPS games are supposed to be fun. Some things make FPS games less fun, like camping, cheap sniping, quick-scoping, noob-tubing, grenade spamming, hit-detection exploiting and (with COD games) cheap killstreak rewards.

If it makes it less fun for someone, their complaint is legitimate. Your ONLY VALID ARGUMENT is that it does not make the game less fun for you. Whether it is realistic or not is not a valid argument.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
I get pissed off enough with BF3, but weapon wise, there aren't any cheap ass tactics. Launchers aren't anywhere NEAR as good as they used to be against infantry like they were in Bad Company 2, you could literally fire a rocket in a general 20 foot area of a person and probably get a kill.

I don't really condone using launchers in confined spaces, but I'll do it if the other team are doing it so we can level the playing field. Though I rarely have to do that, just flank round and get yourself a squad wipe ribbon and mop them all up with your rifle.

There's only one thing that really fucking pisses me off in BF3, and that's spawn camping. Seine Crossing is one of the worst offenders for this.
I believe it's when you're playing as the Russians, it's so, so easy for the US team to entirely box you into your spawn with absolutely no way of getting out, to the point that not even your T90 can help you because engineers just throw down AT mines.

That initial area of Seine is just so badly designed.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Gardenia said:
I have never had a problem with tactical lights. To me, they're just a gigantic "aim here" marker.
OT: Rockets. Rockets everywhere. On infantry maps.
They really suck in close quarters when someone has one pointed directly at you. Like when you turn a corner and you get that bright white light in your face.