Check Out 12 Minutes of Narrated Dawn of War III Gameplay

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Check Out 12 Minutes of Narrated Dawn of War III Gameplay

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1335/1335042.jpgThis narrated gameplay video shows of base building, combat, and more from Dawn of War III.

Since Dawn of War III was seen bits and pieces of gameplay [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167333-Dawn-of-War-3-Announced-in-New-Trailer] so far, but the newest trailer shows up over 12 minutes of gameplay narrated by Game Director Philippe Boulle. The footage features the Space Marines taking on the Eldar, and shows off multiple types of units, including the Imperial Knight.

All the gameplay shown here is pre-alpha, and that means that it could change dramatically before the game launches next year. That said, it's a good look at the direction the game is moving in, as it shows off the new art style, some base building, and plenty of combat.

Dawn of War III is slated to release sometime in 2017.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Why am I getting a creeping WarCraft 3/Diablo 3 vibe from this? The animation and art style look goofy as fuck. It looks like a Cartoonish parody of 40k, or more accurately like an up-resed IOS port.

Like I've played every single 40k video game ever. All of them, so I like to think I can judge them pretty well, and this game continues to leave a very bad taste on my mouth. And it didn't even buy me dinner.

GrumpyPirate

Mar 14, 2005
Yeah it kinda looks like its getting the same treatment as Total War started getting a few iterations ago. Been longing for DoW3 for years now and now im actualy kinda aprehensive to them releasing this.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
Why am I getting a creeping WarCraft 3/Diablo 3 vibe from this? The animation and art style look goofy as fuck. It looks like a Cartoonish parody of 40k, or more accurately like an up-resed IOS port.

Like I've played every single 40k video game ever. All of them, so I like to think I can judge them pretty well, and this game continues to leave a very bad taste on my mouth. And it didn't even buy me dinner.
Butr I thought you like Cartoony and anything grim, dark, bloody, and serious sucks ;)

And Warhammer 40 I always found Cartoony by art style alone heck at first I thought it was a tabletop made in the US because I never thought of British people making this.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Silentpony said:

How do people forget that dawn of war 2 looked like this?

So far the only thing kinda bugging me is the new cover system. But considering the game is about huge armies like dow, not smaller squads like dow2. It does make sense to simplify it. Plus in dow eventually the battlefield would be so messed up that everything offered cover, which got old.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
I consider myself to be somewhat Video Game kosher. I don't mix my cartoony with my grimdark. I can do cartoony, like Stubs the Zombie or BroForce and have a riot! I can also do my grimdark like...I dunno, Amnesia or perhaps Bioshock or State of Decay and spend all day scowling at puppies.

Its only games like Binding of Isaac or Darkest Dungeon that I feel the grimdark is undercut by the goofiness of it all. Like if they did a Sin City cartoon staring Micky Mouse.

Beetlebum

Oct 14, 2011
Great jumping terminators, did Gabriel just do a backflip in Cataphracti? Pattern Terminator Armour? That seems... unlikely.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I really don't like this hero unit focus.

Sins of a Solar Empire somehow made it okay, even with the moba skills and lvl 6 ultimates, but this seems too WC3 to me. Maybe loving the previous two games to bits makes me skeptical about change, but with the eventual DLC factions, I'm more hyped about Space Hulk Deathwing.

novem

Nov 18, 2009
I have serious reservations about the game as it is. I loved DoW back in the day but after playing DoW2 for years the idea of going back to spammy swarming army grind doesn?t interest me much as all. The fact that they are bringing ?some? of the hero focus from DoW2 over means the traditionalist probably won?t be happy either.

Oh, and the cover system looks worse than either game.

GrumpyPirate

Mar 14, 2005
Beetlebum said:
Great jumping terminators, did Gabriel just do a backflip in Cataphracti? Pattern Terminator Armour? That seems... unlikely.
They will reveal that he is one of the long lost primarchs returned to the empire in its time of need and the blood raven is his legion once thought lost. It will all make sense, the new sucky voice is just there to throw us of!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Beetlebum said:
They also deepstruck Assault Marines with jumppacks in a drop pod. Yeah...I don't think anyone whose working on this game actually plays 40k.

Aug 31, 2012
So, the same footage they've been showing for weeks now? The Twitch stream was probably better for this.

Overall the reaction I've seen seems pretty negative, and I agree. Seeing as it's only pre alpha it will hopefully change.

Maybe it will look a lot better on different maps. The one they've used to demo is pretty bland to put it mildly, when compared to DoWII maps it looks like a piece of crap. I really hope the power field cover system is unique to that map because it's so flat and boring there's nowhere else to hide.

Gameplay wise, obviously I haven't played it, but it looks like it's going to be a lot closer to DoWI, which although it is easier than DoWII, I find it really dated, I'm bored in about ten minutes. Despite being thoroughly shit at it, the DoWII multiplayer was fun to play and watch. Still, pre alpha, speculation, etc etc.

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
As a Company of Heroes fan, I really don't like the new cover system - if CoH2 could do cover and mass combat, this one really should be able to do so, too. At least they could have gone for building/ruins that function in much the same way, soaking ranged damage until destroyed, instead of these bubbles strewn around almost hap-hazardly. This, and the placement of enemies in the demo, really does not look like several defensive lines that needs to be breached, but an assortment of units placed in open spaces to be encountered - the demo didn't really attempt to look like a battlefield scenario rather than a game demo. So if the new cover system actually is functional in-game, the demo did not show it from its best angle.

The change to the aesthetic can go either way - I will wait for the full game before making a judgment there.

Seeing so many Eldar being slaughtered without a second thought seems off to me, fluffwise. They are a race on the brink of extinction, why are they sacrificing themselves so readily?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, watched the gameplay, and...I really don't get some of the complaints here and/on YouTube.

I haven't played a DoW game since Dark Crusade, but the "cartoony" complaint seems more like something that stems from increased resolution and/or different camera angle (looked up old DoW 1 videos for reference), then a "cartoony" style. Since Diablo III has been brought up, I may as well reference that I don't see D3 as being cartoony. 3D, sure, and not as "washed out" as Path of Exile or D2, but if you want an example of a cartoony ARPG, Torchlight is the benchmark for that aesthetic.

Second of all, the hero complaint. Again, why? Heroes have always been part of Dawn of War as a unit. 40K is certainly a setting that has in-universe precedent for hero units, and sure, you can draw comparisons to Warcraft III, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Concerning the eldar dying in droves, I'd say that's more down to RTS mechanics. Same reason why you can lose multiple Space Marines in a mission and not wipe out the chapter by sheer attrition.

Course this is kind of redundant, since my PC won't be able to run the game with its current hardware/software, and I'm framing this reaction with only the original Dawn of War as a benchmark, but, yeah. At the least, it's another RTS game, and I can get behind that.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Change his dam voice back. This is not Gabriel, some pretender who does flips in fucking terminator armor. HERESY just no NO. Jumps and flips ?!?!!? NO. Why is the pilot for the knight not got plugs and shit in her head ? Cover system looks very lame, overall its kinda underwhelming and feels more like you guys ae making dawn of war craft 1, making it "accessible"is not always a good thing.Capturing cover !? the fuck its COVER. Do.....do they even Relic bro ?

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Johkmil said:
The change to the aesthetic can go either way - I will wait for the full game before making a judgment there.

Seeing so many Eldar being slaughtered without a second thought seems off to me, fluffwise. They are a race on the brink of extinction, why are they sacrificing themselves so readily?
They do the same thing in the tabletop. If they didn't there'd be no Eldar codex.

OT: I have no fluff issues. I am aware of inconsistencies with fluff, but either do not care (the woman piloting the knight should be cyber-ed up but isn't) or the fluff takes a backseat to the gameplay.

Angelos is wearing Tartaros-pattern terminator armor. Fluff says that it's too heavy to run in, much less do backflips. I do not care.

Angelos is a tanky and offensive hero unit, but still moves quickly. This is not okay.

Terminators, too. Units that durable with teleportation should not run that fast.

The Knight's guns are essentially worthless without micro-ing her abilities of bullet hell. Not cool. It's a superheavy unit, it should be mulching.

I'm ambiguous about the new cover. It's something new and is incorporating void shields into the game but actual -cover- seems to have gone by the wayside. Lame.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
Silentpony said:
Beetlebum said:
They also deepstruck Assault Marines with jumppacks in a drop pod. Yeah...I don't think anyone whose working on this game actually plays 40k.
There's no reason why they wouldn't do that. Assault Marines on the TT can Deep Strike on their own, yes, but that assumes that they were already in the vicinity of the battle and jumped in, not coming down from the Battle Barge. I somehow doubt that a jump pack is suitable for atmospheric entry.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
My two main complaints are the animations and Gabriel's voice.

So the animations while not bad are over the top in the wrong way. The seem too... light or floaty I think? The need to be more grounded and heavy and over the top like that. The bit that really got me was an animation the imperial knight did which was fast and looked like it was in space where it should like lumbering and heavy.

But other than that it looks good. I know people don't like the art style but it seems fine to me. I do hope cover gets a rework though. The cover bubbles are fine but I wouldn't mind some light cover scattered around the map as well.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
All I wanted was Dawn of War 1 with more single player campaigns. Proper missions, as opposed to a campaign map that is essentially you fighting the AI on multiplayer maps. That's all I wanted when Dow 2 came out, that's all I want now. But they'll mess it up again...