Check Out Five Minutes of the Halo Legends Anime

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
The complete lack of knowledge of the Halo universe many people are showing here is disturbing.

Believe it or not, the Spartans did engage in hand-to-hand combat with Elites and such in the novels, and believe it or not, were actually quite competant at it! *Gasp!* I know, utterly shocking that they're capable of defending themselves without a gun. Granted, it wasn't nearly as over-the-top as this, but it's a fucking japanese animation studio! What the hell did you expect from them!? To have the Spartan beat the Brute over the head with the butt with their rifle until it fell over dead?

Also, Spartans are fully capable of making large jumps and moving very fast, it's what makes them capable of defeating Elites. I suggest you all read a few of the novels before you go about talking like you know everything about the damn franchise, when in reality you only really know the absolute bare minimum.

Anyways, regarding the video...

It's captured my interest, and I'll be sure to watch the rest when they're released, until then, I'm going to with hold my judgement, seeing as how a 5 minute clip is hardly enough to judge the whole damn series by.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
wow that was the worst piece of shit I have ever seen! Its an insult to the artistic world having such shows like these. Why did they use Japanese animation? Whats wrong with a western style?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
AkJay said:
When could Spartans jump and move like the guys from Dragonball Z?
Have you seen how high the Master Chief can jump in Halo 3? I mean really, go look. It's really high. Especially considering all this "super heavy MJOLNIR armour" stuff.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
funksobeefy said:
wow that was the worst piece of shit I have ever seen! Its an insult to the artistic world having such shows like these. Why did they use Japanese animation? Whats wrong with a western style?
What's wrong with anime? Why would they use a western style? They have some top quality studios working on this like Bones.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
This looks terrible. Like, really terrible. So terrible I may even have to watch it.

Sunfirecross

Oct 17, 2008
I was skeptic at first, but they won me over.

The animation wasn't the best I've seen but it is quite nice. I liked them showing that Spartans have more weapons available to them than just guns. The voice acting was okay, not terrible but by no means excellent. I can take solace in the fact that none of the characters presented sounded like Naruto or some crap like that. So overall I enjoyed it.

And I find it hilarious that most of the hardcore Halo fans are actually damning this. I've never really understood people's unrelenting hate or love for the Halo series. It's by no means great but it did bring in a lot of new gamers and I'm happy about that.

Phantom_Natal

Sep 2, 2009
Who would have thought. Halo's appeal in visuals are the all sci fi tech details and not plain carton paperwork which is usual in anime.
Well, I guess they did try...

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
As a hardcore Halo fan, I dont see why others have their shorts in knots over this. Yeah, it's Japanimated and it leans to anime tropes... so what? It looks reasonably good, and the liberties they took with canon are nowhere nearly as big as the fuss would indicate. I'll watch it when it comes out, assuming the price isn't absurd. (And Frank O'Connor of 343 Industries [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/343_Industries#Anime] hinted that it might be very, very reasonable indeed... but gave no details, so I'll judge that when it comes out.)

Settle down, people. Sheesh.

-- Steve

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
I've established a distaste for this art style, but that's only from the annoyance of my sister's Japan obsession.

There's a great chance I won't be watching this.

EDIT: Finished watching the video and remembered why I don't like cartoons, anime or not.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
Seem to be a lot of mixed views on this, I personally think it looks pretty good! Here's hoping it's as good as the Batman Anime shorts.

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
For that split second that you see the red headed kids face through his vizor, I couldn't help but be reminded of "Thunderbirds 2086", the dodgy japanese anime (copy, rip-off, inspired omage -whatever you want to call it) version of "Thunderbirds". The style and look of it just caused it to pop into my head

BoredKellon

Jan 11, 2008
First off, I need to go to sleep so i don't have time to write too large of a statement, but most of the complaints I see about not being true to Halo show a disturbing lack of knowledge about the Halo universe as a creative work and focus more on the fact that yes, this does not look like what you see when someone plays Halo. Secondly, I think a lot of people just dislike anime for both legitimate and/or bandwagon reasons.

Also as for the hair, well to be quite honest a SpecOps unit of that caliber would honestly not generally be required to abide by regular army grooming regulations. Why? Because such a unit may often be involved in covert missions where looking like a military man is not always beneficial. While his hair does seem outrageous to modern western culture, who's to say in the future or in other cultures that this hair is that different. Anyways, he may be a bit of a baby in the mess, but in the field he did show military disciplene. He did not seem ODST material by how he screwed up and froze for a second letting his gaurd down, but he did not seem to far fetched for having made it to that point, especially if you take into account that he's played off as a crack shot.

Also though the moves are more stylized then perhaps the rest of Halo canon, the do not seem to far out of place given the speed, strength, and general abilities of a Spartan. As for the covanent looking like digimon, well they've always been rather colorful and cartoony by sci-fi standards, and well I'm pretty sure any drawing of them using a similar style would look pretty well the same. I mean the grunt look exactly like grunts, the brutes do seem to have a bit of the artists flare, but honestly everything seems fairly true to the series imo.

So ya, I liked it as both a fan of Halo and anime.

Yulie355

Jun 22, 2008
Ugh... I face'palmed so hard I think I gave myself a migraine. God, why must Halo still exist?

Jul 9, 2008
The Shade said:
The Spartan is way too agile for someone wearing a tonne of power armour. They might be stronger with it on, but there's no way they would hop around like that.
Actually, that's part of the mythos. Mjolnir armor is supposed to make their wearers incredibly fast as well as strong, it just couldn't come across well in the games.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
TheTygerfire said:
Subpar character animation
Terrible voice acting and script
and the Covenant look like Pokemon

And plus I can't really be expected to take this seriously when most of Japan doesn't give two shits about Halo.
You base what you care about on what Japan cares about?

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
The Bandit said:
TheTygerfire said:
Subpar character animation
Terrible voice acting and script
and the Covenant look like Pokemon

And plus I can't really be expected to take this seriously when most of Japan doesn't give two shits about Halo.
You base what you care about on what Japan cares about?
No, it works like this.

Japan doesn't care about Halo
More than likely the studio that made the anime didn't either
therefore they either had no passion for the work or half assed it
Therefore "If they don't care, why should I?"

lukey94

Sep 2, 2008
Looks alright, but maybe a little too Japanese cartoon style for me, it just reminds me of the faggy kinds of anime too much with that art style also what was up with the Helljumper bowing to his food when he sat down

Other than that looks cool

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
lukey94 said:
Looks alright, but maybe a little too Japanese cartoon style for me, it just reminds me of the faggy kinds of anime too much with that art style also what was up with the Helljumper bowing to his food when he sat down

Other than that looks cool
Exactly what do people normally do when they say grace in the 'west'? Bow their heads? I see...Yes, it was probably the Japanese custom (It's an anime. By a Japanese studio.) but to say that 'Western' culture doesn't have bowing to your food is just silly.

As for 'faggy'...well, personal opinions and all but there's probably a better term than that to use.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Voice acting is a little suspect, and the animation... What is this, 1990? When freaking Ninja Scroll or Cowboy Bebop look better than your modern-day anime made with current software and animation tricks, you're definitely doing something wrong. When the movements aren't jerky, everything has the Star Wars Episode 1 look of somebody obviously splicing CG and drawn animations in an inexpert manner.

Now, I'm not saying the Halo anime has to BE better than Cowboy Bebop. But it should at least LOOK better. And CB is just one example. Probably any anime I've seen (and liked) that was made after 2000 has better animation/art direction than what I've seen of the Halo anime.