Check Out Japan's Take on A Game of Thrones

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Dear Editors of the Escapist...

Seriously, guys... you had to use the UGLIEST cover as the 'avatar' of the story? I never thought most of 'em were that good to begin with, but jeeesh. That one is just hideous.

In the spirit of aesthetics, and sparing your loyal patrons of the site... Please - use a new avator or drop the story off the main page!

Thanks!

:)

Trentnes

Sep 3, 2010
These make me want to see a manga/anime version of this story. Since HBO is taking on the video version, maybe Malazan or another good series can get some Japanese love next.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
itf cho said:
Dear Editors of the Escapist...

Seriously, guys... you had to use the UGLIEST cover as the 'avatar' of the story? I never thought most of 'em were that good to begin with, but jeeesh. That one is just hideous.

In the spirit of aesthetics, and sparing your loyal patrons of the site... Please - use a new avator or drop the story off the main page!

Thanks!

:)
watchu talking about brah! It's so pretty! ;)
I am going to assume that's Tyrion.

Sodoff

Oct 15, 2009
Meh, I like the Idea of beautiful covers but this manga style has too much of a "teen-angst" feel to it, but hey we all like different things.

Oneof my favorite examples of really good artwork in a book series is the work done for the Dragonlance series. I've always loved the artwork in that series. (The translated Danish version :p )

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Do an anime do an anime do an anime do an anime do an anime do an anime

*cough*

Sorry about that. Them's some purty pictures, and I would like to see them move.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
scotth266 said:
Do an anime do an anime do an anime do an anime do an anime do an anime

*cough*

Sorry about that. Them's some purty pictures, and I would like to see them move.
Ha, before watching the TV show, I always envisioned the characters in an anime-style. Damn you Suikoden.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Tyrion is ugly, but he's not a goblin.
Nice artwork but nolonger true to the source material.

drshoktopus

Mar 7, 2011
I'm torn, in one way I love to see alternative takes to the characters I have come to love. In another, I tend to abhor this art style in general. I think some of these images definitely do the characters justice. While others, specifically Tyrion seems to miss the entire essence of his character. But that is me, and I am unapologetically a ASOIAF fanboy.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Am I really the only person on the planet that just doesn't get the appeal of Game of Thrones? Watched the first three episodes, and all I came away with was this:
All the characters except the midget are retarded and/or fucking irritating.
Tons of gratitious sex and nudity that adds almost nothing to the story.

I honestly went into the series wanting to like it after hearing a ton of positive things from my friends, but I just couldn't stomach it. Nobody is likable, the only character that remotely is likable is a raging douchebag, and I'm constantly bombarded with new terms with absolutely no context.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
Jennacide said:
Am I really the only person on the planet that just doesn't get the appeal of Game of Thrones? Watched the first three episodes, and all I came away with was this:
Unfortunately, I think there's a lot of context and background that's either rushed or missing in the miniseries. Don't get me wrong though, everyone working on it seem to be doing a splendid job so far, and they try dropping some of those vital hints in here and there, but I think there's a lot of subtleties that some might not pick up on.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Ender910 said:
Jennacide said:
Unfortunately, I think there's a lot of context and background that's either rushed or missing in the miniseries. Don't get me wrong though, everyone working on it seem to be doing a splendid job so far, and they try dropping some of those vital hints in here and there, but I think there's a lot of subtleties that some might not pick up on.
Is the show another of those situations where if you didn't read the books the missing material will just leave you lost? Cause that's how I feel. The parts people told me I should care about I'm either confused why I should care, like the Queen having sex with her nephew or whatever his relation was. And again, I really just can't stand any of the characters, which is what kills it for me.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
First few were pretty badass. I particularly like the Ned cover.

But then a couple got too "anime-y" styled, and it turned me off.

Overall, I am pretty impressed Japan. Noice.