Check Out the Greatest Movie Deaths of All Time

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
Check Out the Greatest Movie Deaths of All Time

[Vimeo=109855603]

Drafthouse Films has collected nearly 30 of the film industry's greatest movie deaths of all time for your consideration.

Some of our favorite movies are home to the most gruesome deaths one can envision. Whether it's death by immolation, explosion, or chestburster, they're always memorable, especially the circumstances surrounding them.

Drafthouse Films has put together this chilling compilation of nearly 30 movie deaths, each with its own special amount of shock value. From Scarface to the especially harrowing Men Behind the Sun, there are enough grisly and violent ends here to cause nightmares for the next ten years.

Check out the video and let us know which movie death stuck with you long after witnessing it.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, not really up for watching gruesomes deaths (especially as two I can think of are ones that really did a number on me when I first saw them), so can I be lazy and ask what the heck is that white cat with the animated eyes and lips/fangs in the main page picture for the article from?

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
Windknight said:
Ok, not really up for watching gruesomes deaths (especially as two I can think of are ones that really did a number on me when I first saw them), so can I be lazy and ask what the heck is that white cat with the animated eyes and lips/fangs in the main page picture for the article from?
That's from this excellent and super trippy Japanese film known as Hausu, or House.

crazy_coug99

Official Representative of WSU
Sep 17, 2012
Personally I call this a failure simply because of no mention of Samuel L. Jackson in Deep Blue Sea.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I hope the inclusion of Talia Al Ghul's death was for the sake of irony.

Windknight said:
Also, it's nowhere in the actual video, so don't worry, you didn't miss out on anything.

crazy_coug99 said:
Personally I call this a failure simply because of no mention of Samuel L. Jackson in Deep Blue Sea.
I remember seeing that when I was like... 7. Loved it. I love how the film does a tonal 180 like half-way through.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Olas said:
crazy_coug99 said:
I remember seeing that when I was like... 7. Loved it. I love how the film does a tonal 180 like half-way through.
I like it partly because it was genuinely surprising, it just came out of nowhere, I mean, who would kill off Samuel L Jackson in a movie... With a shark doing one of his motivational speeches? :p

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
cant watch it for 10 secs without getting a message saying that it has a error with playback. i have the latest drivers installed for video playback.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Wow. There are some I didn't see coming. The car crashes were amongst the more f-ed up stuff to me because lots of folks do die on the roads.

Some wild make-up fx too. What's interesting is that no monster or animal deaths were part of this list.

There are too many movie deaths to choose from anyway.

Remember how Ash tried to waste the demon-made-flesh in Evil Dead 2 ?

The World Famous

Mar 1, 2010
Lots of really good ones, but I think each entry needed a subtitle saying what movie it was from. Also, you have examples of grisly deaths like Death Proof or Deer Hunter, but then you have more poignant ones like Titanic and Lion King. Major tonality issues.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Airon said:
Wow. There are some I didn't see coming. The car crashes were amongst the more f-ed up stuff to me because lots of folks do die on the roads.

Some wild make-up fx too. What's interesting is that no monster or animal deaths were part of this list.

There are too many movie deaths to choose from anyway.

Remember how Ash tried to waste the demon-made-flesh in Evil Dead 2 ?
What about Mufasa? That's an animal death. Also, all of those road deaths were from the same movie (in fact they were all from the same crash, it just shows you how everyone dies).

I'm actually pretty pleased with how little I got spoiled there. Deer Hunter and one more, I think. Everything else I'd either seen it or I'm never likely to.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I clicked on the link for Hausu, I stayed for 25 extra deaths, and I was startled. This was probably not the best way to start a Monday, but it's definitely a hell of a start.

If I had to add a death scene, I'd have put Dollman on this list, but then again, that movie is just wonderful to watch. Shaun of the Dead would be a close second (The second to last or last major character death in SOTD, for spoiler purposes, I'll just say one of the last deaths were shocking to me).

There were a few really good ones I did see on this list, though. I was shocked by the Top Secret! one, that made me want to watch Top Secret! again.