Check Out These Incredible World of Warcraft Movie Shots

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Check Out These Incredible World of Warcraft Movie Shots

With the World of Warcraft movie only weeks away, the battle for Azeroth is beginning to rage.

Whether you're a long-standing fan of Blizzard or only care about the company's titan of MMOs, June 10th is likely a date you already have marked on your calendar. The World of Warcraft movie from Legendary Pictures has been underway for what may seem like forever, but the wait is nearly over, and we're starting to get the crumbs to whet our collective appetites.

Blizzard's cinematics have always set the bar where I'm concerned, and these shots certainly suggest that the feature length movie is going to be just as strong as any in-game cinematic.

[gallery=6136]

World of Warcraft is slated to hit theaters June 10, 2016.

Are you excited for the movie, or are you more of a skeptic? Hit the comments and let us know!

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I thought this was supposed to be a Warcraft and not WoW movie. Did I miss something or is hat a mistake?

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Is this supposed to mean incredible bad? Can't help it... looks cheap as fuck to me.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
It just looks so badly done. The orcs especially look so ridiculously out of place. I think this was just a bad idea. Warcraft's style and live action really don't mix well.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Dimitriov said:
It just looks so badly done. The orcs especially look so ridiculously out of place. I think this was just a bad idea. Warcraft's style and live action really don't mix well.
Perhaps not, but Duncan Jones is the possible light at the end of the weird CGI tunnel. Whilst Moon isn't exactly my thang, it was excellently crafted so Warcraft's at least got a proven director. Plus, I gather he's passionate about games as a medium, and comes across as genuinely wanting to do justice to an IP he cares about.

I've never played WoW, but I hope this does well.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
There is pretty much no way this can be good. The plot of warcraft at this point is snookaloopy. This is going to be like the final fantasy movie.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Huh, that looks...hang on, what colour are orcs now?

And...was that a "Sexy" orc lady there? C'mon...

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Worgen said:
There is pretty much no way this can be good. The plot of warcraft at this point is snookaloopy. This is going to be like the final fantasy movie.
Which they have the opportunity with this movie to Reboot the plot to make it more comprehensible. I mean shit they are trying to make the current video game's plot and lore more comprehensible with the recent release of the World of Warcraft Chronicles book which is now officially canon.

Here is a video on the origin of the Warcraft universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpxyRu1qx4U

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Thaluikhain said:
Huh, that looks...hang on, what colour are orcs now?

And...was that a "Sexy" orc lady there? C'mon...
1. There is a reason why Orcs have different skin colours. The Greenskined Orcs are the demon corrupted Orcs and the Greenish tone is a concequence of their exporsure to Fel Magic. The Brown-ish skin is the orc pure and free of demon corruption, they were browned skinned before their exporsure to Fel/Demon influance.

2. And what is the problem with her being "Sexy"?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Dimitriov said:
If this is badly done then I don't know what is. This looks like Warcraft to me. I mean people are used to seeing Superheroes in Live Action, why not this?

I'm sorry I am probably the biggest fan of Warcraft in this entire site I have been into this franchise since Warcraft 3 and my goodness does it still hold up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2vm-QjK2xQ

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Worgen said:
Which they have the opportunity with this movie to Reboot the plot to make it more comprehensible. I mean shit they are trying to make the current video game's plot and lore more comprehensible with the recent release of the World of Warcraft Chronicles book which is now officially canon.

Oh, nonononnono, they wont reboot the plot, that would piss off the lore nerds which pay their rent. It doesn't matter how silly a plot is, someone will be determined to know every little thing about it if there is a lot of it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Worgen said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Worgen said:

Oh, nonononnono, they wont reboot the plot, that would piss off the lore nerds which pay their rent. It doesn't matter how silly a plot is, someone will be determined to know every little thing about it if there is a lot of it.
Does it matter since the movie universe will be completely different and most likely will have no affect on the main World of Warcraft game from a lore perspective?

Again using the Comic Book Superhero analogy, the current Marvel movies have no impact on the lore and progress of the current Marvel comic books.

And mind you I AM a huge fan of Warcraft and even I can admit at times the current lore is messed up, but goddamn it I still love this franchise and there are still good things that came of it.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Worgen said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Worgen said:

Does it matter since the movie universe will be completely different and most likely will have no affect on the main World of Warcraft game from a lore perspective?

Again using the Comic Book Superhero analogy, the current Marvel movies have no impact on the lore and progress of the current Marvel comic books.

And mind you I AM a huge fan of Warcraft and even I can admit at times the current lore is messed up, but goddamn it I still love this franchise and there are still good things that came of it.
No, so far it looks rather similar to the warcraft 3 or the adventure game that never came outs plot. Warcraft isnt a comic book though, the comics had multiple generations that could have read them. Warcraft doesn't. The plot of the first game is very different than the latest few, really if you only played one or two of the warcraft games then this movie might make no sense. They will probably be using wow to inform the plot of the movie. Ive heard they might even include the game with movie tickets.

I used to be into wow before I started hating blizzard for teasing me with a job then blacklisting me when I showed up for training after they never called me to tell me I wasn't hired.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
If by incredible you mean "impossible to believe" as in, I don't believe what I'm seeing because it looks bad, then yes. Incredible is definitely the correct term. It's hard to put my finger on exactly what is the problem, maybe it's the art style, but SOMETHING is making all of those pictures look quite jarring. I think it might the the art style mixed with real faces. Like if you just threw in real faces onto the people in Pixar movies (obviously not that bad, but that's kind of what I'm getting from this). The styles clash too much for my liking.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
You know what? I think the art direction works for this one. Can't say if the plot is going to work from a narrative sense, but I can get behind the looks of this movie.

Let's face it, it looks like Warcraft, with vibrant color and character designs that look like the species in Warcraft so far (well, except the human bodies don't look like professional wrestlers). At this point, I'm willing to give this a chance. I'm not going in thinking I'm getting The Avengers, but it will hopefully be better than Dawn of Justice.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Worgen said:
Which one? The one that barely made any sense, the one that almost made sense or the one that could have made sense?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
008Zulu said:
Worgen said:
Which one? The one that barely made any sense, the one that almost made sense or the one that could have made sense?
Take your pick, the plot of final fantasy is just slightly weirder than warcraft.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
If by incredible you mean "impossible to believe" as in, I don't believe what I'm seeing because it looks bad, then yes. Incredible is definitely the correct term. It's hard to put my finger on exactly what is the problem, maybe it's the art style, but SOMETHING is making all of those pictures look quite jarring. I think it might the the art style mixed with real faces. Like if you just through in real faces onto the people in Pixar movies (obviously not that bad, but that's kind of what I'm getting from this). The styles clash too much for my liking.
I get the same impression.

As individual shots, they look good. But the trailer has huge amounts of uncanny valley going on.
Something between the live action and the CGI isn't blending right.
It's like the Tintin movie that gave me a huge headache when I tried to watch it because my brain is seeing very realistic lighting and shadows and then the cartoon characters and can't decide whether it's real or fake.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
this should have been an all CGI movie, done in the same style as WoW's usual cutscenes - not... this. This just doesn't look right. Waaaaaaay too much disconnect between the animation and live action stuff

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Worgen said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Worgen said:

You know they're already rebooting Warcraft 1 (which is actually quite simple, so no convolution ... yet) with the movie, right?