Check Out What Shelob Looks Like in this New Middle-Earth: Shadow of War Trailer

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Check Out What Shelob Looks Like in this New Middle-Earth: Shadow of War Trailer

The newest trailer for Middle-Earth: Shadow of War features Shelob as you've never seen her before - in human form.

Over the weekend at San Diego Comic-Con, Monolith and Warner Bros. rolled out a new trailer for Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, and this one features Shelob, the gargantuan spider that you may remember from The Two Towers book, or The Return of the King movie. But in the new trailer, Shelob does something you won't expect - she turns herself into a human.

As you can see, Shelob appears to be a vital part of Talion's plans in Shadow of War, but Celebrimbor isn't so trusting. We'll have to wait for game to come out to see if Shelob is actually interested in helping Talion save Middle-Earth, or if she's just playing her own little game. My money is on the latter.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War is coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One on October 10.

[gallery=7572]

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Well that sounds like absolute heresy in regards to Tolkien's novels.

Which if I've understood the basic premise to the game series correctly hardly is a new thing, but still.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Shows how hungry the Middle-earth mythos is for female characters that at this point they have to make them up (the chick from Lost in The Hobbit movies) or transform them from other species altogether (seen here).

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Bedinsis said:

Which if I've understood the basic premise to the game series correctly hardly is a new thing, but still.
My brain is screaming every time this trailer shows up somewhere, so you're not wrong.

Although, I'm holding out hope that this isn't Shelob. I know that's what the trailer's title is calling her, but nowhere do I hear the actual name in the trailer. Plus, these games have gone to pretty great lengths to look exactly like the movies, and Shelob looks NOTHING like the spider in the trailer. So maybe everyone is just assuming it's her, and the developers aren't bothering to correct them?

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Now little girls can aspire to grow up to become giant spider monsters. The Glass Web has finally been shattered!

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
My brain is screaming every time this trailer shows up somewhere, so you're not wrong.

Although, I'm holding out hope that this isn't Shelob. I know that's what the trailer's title is calling her, but nowhere do I hear the actual name in the trailer. Plus, these games have gone to pretty great lengths to look exactly like the movies, and Shelob looks NOTHING like the spider in the trailer. So maybe everyone is just assuming it's her, and the developers aren't bothering to correct them?
Worth noting that the title of the trailer on the official channel is "Official Shadow of War Shelob Reveal Trailer." I understand why you'd want it to be someone else, but it doesn't seem likely.

Apr 17, 2009
So in Greek myth, there was a monster called Python who lived in Delphi. When Apollo killed him his venom ran into the earth (hence why current pythons constrict, because their big daddy used up all their poison) and would sporadically rise again as noxious clouds...clouds which were supposed to help the Oracle with her whole foresight thing. Spiders are also a venomous creature, and have an obvious association with eyes (since they generally have about six of them...) which are another nice recurring motif when it comes to prophecy. So its possible that by making Shelob a kind of evil oracle they've actually tried to copy Tolkein's style of cribbing from old myths and done something a little intellectual and pffhahahahahaha no I can't finish that with a straight face. Shelob turning into a human is dumb as hell. If you wanted a sultry prophetess you probably have to fight later in the game, Monolith, couldn't you have just...made one up? It's not like you've stuck with purely book characters so far

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Bedinsis said:

If you are expecting this to be " the Silmarillion: the game", you probably will be disappointed.
As cool as that sounds, that would be a convoluted mess.(book is barely readable as it is)

But even though Shadow of mordor wasn't even close to canon, it was a fun game.
If shadow of war is similar to that, it will at least be all right.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Jeroenr said:
Bedinsis said:

If you are expecting this to be " the Silmarillion: the game", you probably will be disappointed.
As cool as that sounds, that would be a convoluted mess.(book is barely readable as it is)

But even though Shadow of mordor wasn't even close to canon, it was a fun game.
If shadow of war is similar to that, it will at least be all right.
They should just call these Middle Earth Shadow games an alternate universe or something at this point, it would do a lot to alleviate all the whining about the canonicity of the games and would allow it and it's plot to not be constrained by the whole "being a prequel" thing. Shadow of Mordor was accurate enough to the canon one has to be obsessively well versed in it to even notice the deviations anyway and that's good enough.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
That's depressing...

She should just be a giant spider.

But whatever, I'm not the target market, or something. I guess.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
This is fucking retarded.

She's not fucking Lolth.

Cue artwork on tumblr of Shelob fucking Lolth...

There better be some of them going at it in fucking spiderform.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Oh boy, my LotR loving friend may have a seizure when he sees this.

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
Christ, she looks like Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins.

Anyone whose played that can see the irony right away.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shows how hungry the Middle-earth mythos is for female characters that at this point they have to make them up (the chick from Lost in The Hobbit movies) or transform them from other species altogether (seen here).
Isn't Luthein Tinuviel badass enough?

She threatened Sauron and pretty much saved did the reverse of the Damsal in Distress by saving her boyfriend who got captured.

I mean she entranced Morgoth to sleep, MORGOTH!!!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Isn't Luthein Tinuviel badass enough?

She threatened Sauron and pretty much saved did the reverse of the Damsal in Distress by saving her boyfriend who got captured.

I mean she entranced Morgoth to sleep, MORGOTH!!!
Yes, I love the Beren and Luthien story. She's long dead by the Third Age though.