Cheerleader must compensate school that told her to clap 'rapist'

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/cheerleader-must-compensate-school-that-told-her-to-clap-rapist-2278522.html

A teenage girl who was dropped from her high school's cheer leading squad after refusing to chant the name of a basketball player who had sexually assaulted her must pay compensation of $45,000 (£27,300) after losing a legal challenge against the decision.
Normally stuff like this makes me rage so hard I am unable to type,this time I am sort of in a transcended state of pure rage so I am able to coherently type.It happened in the US in Texas btw.

So,what are the Escapists feelings on this,I consider myself level headed and understand crazy shit happens in this world,but if I had a daughter who got raped and I had to pay the rapists legal fees,I think I would instead use that money to buy guns and ammo and go postal on the judge and rapist.This is if I was 100% certain my daughter got raped.

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
Okay, fine. I can see how she would be dropped from the team: after all, she was refusing to participate. Albeit that kind of reasoning is kind of deluded. But the fines are entirely beyond me.

It sounds like a considerable amount of this story is not being told.

Or perhaps the situation in question really is just that insane.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
slowpoke999 said:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/cheerleader-must-compensate-school-that-told-her-to-clap-rapist-2278522.html

A teenage girl who was dropped from her high school's cheer leading squad after refusing to chant the name of a basketball player who had sexually assaulted her must pay compensation of $45,000 (£27,300) after losing a legal challenge against the decision.
Normally stuff like this makes me rage so hard I am unable to type,this time I am sort of in a transcended state of pure rage so I am able to coherently type.It happened in the US in Texas btw.

So,what are the Escapists feelings on this,I consider myself level headed and understand crazy shit happens in this world,but if I had a daughter who got raped and I had to pay the rapists legal fees,I think I would instead use that money to buy guns and ammo and go postal on the judge and rapist.This is if I was 100% certain my daughter got raped.
So, like, would you say you're exploded into a sort of rage singularity?

callmegreen

Jan 29, 2011
WHAT........ THE ........... FUCK!!??!! she now owe's the school 45 grand because she wouldnt aplaud her RAPIST!?! WTF is up with texas and there wholehearted, Complete and utter devotion to high school level sports!?... Fukin retards

s0meNo0b

Feb 21, 2011
*Head desk*
Being kicked from the team I can get a little, if not it's a little harsh, but 45,000 dollars? I would think that's just a tad bit insane.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Frivolous lawsuit? Now she has to pay? I can't properly express my feelings. Mod wrath would be forthcoming. And rightly so.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Generally speaking I hate it when people sue government institutions because they're not punishing those institutions, they're punishing the tax payers. Feel the same way about the lesbian that sued her school over prom. Cause ya know, fuck you, I don't wanna pay out of pocket because some jackass wronged you. The only exception to this is when they turn around and donate the money to charity, proving that it was only principal not for an easy payday.

Beyond that any attempt to have a problem with her not cheering feels misogynist to me, so I shan't.

miashin

May 6, 2011
Okay so reading through that, the $45,000 comes from her having to reimburse to school for suits and appeals she brought against them and which she lost.

Lost becaue, while performing as a cheerleader girls and women apparently don't have the right to free speech.

That bold part right there is a far bigger issue if you ask me. I say she'd get much further if she were to appeal this new rooling based on the fact that one of her basic rights was being violated.

Unless there is some sort of epic fine print contract that high school cheerleaders sign (akin to non-disclosure agreements) that I am unaware of?

Pancake Madness

Mar 19, 2010
The fee is due to them losing a legal challenge against the school. As the winners, the school wants to be reimbursed for what they see as wasting their time. The morality of the rape doesn't even come into it. That said, the negative publicity they could receive will probably be an even worse headache.

It would have been so simple if they had simply let her stay silent for the few scant seconds the team was cheering mr. rapist, then gotten on with the rest of their business. People need to learn how to manage these situations better.

Justice isn't just, fair, or righteous, it's a set of rules we're all meant to abide by to make sure our houses don't all burn down. Manipulate it as you will, that's the federally-given right of every citizen in this country.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Well, a lot of people are probably going to land on probation after they flame me for saying this, but I think the school should have the right to kick her off the cheerleading squad. Yes, that guy who raped her is obviously scum who should be in jail instead of back at school playing basketball. But, as it stands, she's a cheerleader, meaning she's supposed to be cheering for the team and its players. If she isn't willing to fulfill those duties, she shouldn't be a cheerleader anymore.

The bit about a "frivolous" lawsuit that requires her to pay the school's legal fees is ridiculous though. If the courts can't see why the hell the student and her parents would fight the school on that, they're in dire need of a reality check. Do they deserve compensation from the school for the incident? I don't think so. But I also don't think they should be forced to pay the school's legal fees for this one: it's not like they sued the school because the cheerleading uniform made her look fat. Have some fucking sense, courts!

Also, I wonder why the hell the rapist managed to get off with a plea to misdemeanor assault with 2 years probation instead of being taken to trial for rape. Why did they offer him that deal? Did the family speak out against him getting that deal? I want to know more about that bit, because pleading out of a rape charge and getting 2 years probation seems utterly ridiculous to me.

slowpoke999 said:
if I had a daughter who got raped and I had to pay the rapists legal fees
It's not the rapist's legal fees that they have to pay, it's the school's.

Valiard

Feb 26, 2009
Here is a question, WHY IS THE RAPIST STILL ON ANY TEAM AND NOT IN JAIL??!? This situation should not even be happening...or is it just me?

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Getting kicked from the squad is stupid, but understandable. Getting fined $45,000 dollars when she wasn't even the one to take this shit to court, but rather the one taken to court by the district is a level of bullshit I can not fathom.

EDIT:

I read over the article again to make sure I didn't get the situation backwards. I got the situation backwards.

Did she really need to take this to court? Was being a cheerleader that important?

Mray3460

Jul 27, 2008
*HEAD*ehgwuiegh*HIT*efgiuqegh*KEYBOARD*uiwefgiu

To the rest of the world, I formally apologize for my State.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
EDIT: Never mind, the person realized their mistake and edited while I was writing this. Just scroll past this, nothing to see here.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
mjc0961 said:
Well, a lot of people are probably going to land on probation after they flame me for saying this, but I think the school should have the right to kick her off the cheerleading squad. Yes, that guy who raped her is obviously scum who should be in jail instead of back at school playing basketball. But, as it stands, she's a cheerleader, meaning she's supposed to be cheering for the team and its players. If she isn't willing to fulfill those duties, she shouldn't be a cheerleader anymore.

The bit about a "frivolous" lawsuit that requires her to pay the school's legal fees is ridiculous though. If the courts can't see why the hell the student and her parents would fight the school on that, they're in dire need of a reality check. Do they deserve compensation from the school for the incident? I don't think so. But I also don't think they should be forced to pay the school's legal fees for this one: it's not like they sued the school because the cheerleading uniform made her look fat. Have some fucking sense, courts!

Also, I wonder why the hell the rapist managed to get off with a plea to misdemeanor assault with 2 years probation instead of being taken to trial for rape. Why did they offer him that deal? Did the family speak out against him getting that deal? I want to know more about that bit, because pleading out of a rape charge and getting 2 years probation seems utterly ridiculous to me.

slowpoke999 said:
if I had a daughter who got raped and I had to pay the rapists legal fees
It's not the rapist's legal fees that they have to pay, it's the school's.
That is a reasonable standpoint. I don't agree with it, but her being kicked off the team I can see. But the fee from the "frivolous lawsuit"? Come the fuck on. And you would be amazed at what athletes can get away with.