China and the World of Tradecraft

Greg Pilarowski

Aug 13, 2009
China and the World of Tradecraft

What could be worse than the wrath of the Lich King? How about the wrath of the Chinese Ministry of Culture.

Read Full Article

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
What the hell, China, what the hell.

This doesn't surprise me, though. A lot of countries try to stop foreiners from being successful, at least at first.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Poor Blizz,

But yea, china is insane with all this stuff about WoW and also about trade.

Poor players,

WNxSajuukCor

Oct 31, 2007
With all this happening in China I wouldn't be surprised that when we look back on things that this is probably one of the main reasons why Blizzard hasn't released Battle.net 2.0, thus delaying Starcraft II into the next yet.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fearzone said:
So does this mean less gold farming?
No, they play on the Western servers. This only applies to Chinese servers. In fact, many hardcore Chinese WoWers got around it by playing on Taiwanese servers.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
Between lead toys and making it incredibly hard to due business there, China is just such a joy to trade with.

hansari

May 31, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Fearzone said:
So does this mean less gold farming?
No, they play on the Western servers. This only applies to Chinese servers. In fact, many hardcore Chinese WoWers got around it by playing on Taiwanese servers.
Then why not just screw China?

Why not just find a way to expand Taiwan servers? Have all the fans flock there and leave China to see money that could have been theirs slip by...

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Then their governments wonder why the citizens are emigrating en masse and the national birthrate drops like a rock.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
well... i dont blame the chinese to try and be restrictive of what the foreign market sends to them, but it seems hipocritical that they are stopping the entrance of foreign industry when their industry floods the world market with pirated crap... its like they are afraid of quality products.

i wouldn´t be surprised if they somehow managed to "steal" some basic coding of WOW and publish a MMORPG called "World Of Warman"

or something like that.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
I'm surprised that so many intend to stop playing WoW because of this. It looks like they view it merely as a form of entertainment created by white devils who should be grateful and in awe that genetically superior Han Chinese would play something made by children. Even though I said that, I love the attitude! It seems like it was just a phase for many in China to play it that much.

Remember, also, that China was essentially used as a place to get resources from for a long time. It's people were utterly disregarded by Europeans who stomped on them like nothing. The most drab of people could not even begin to comprehend their hatred for the Western world. China kicks ass, and I'm not Chinese! They played your game for a bit, but now it has been waved aside! That's the same way they feel about the Western World (the most patriotic, I'm guessing).

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Sucks to be Chinese I guess. I wonder how many gold farmers closed up shop over this.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Rigs83 said:
Sucks to be Chinese I guess. I wonder how many gold farmers closed up shop over this.
That's a good point, it really will suck for gold farmers. Although ordinary players will now get to learn how many farmers were really Chinese.

BGilman

Jul 17, 2009
Lonan said:
Rigs83 said:
That's a good point, it really will suck for gold farmers. Although ordinary players will now get to learn how many farmers were really Chinese.
The gold farmers play on western servers, the article is regarding the operation of WoW servers in Mainland China, not the west. The western servers are not blocked in China, and obviously the PRC doesn't have the authority to shut down servers in the west.

Chinese tend not to play on the western servers because of the higher cost( In mainland China it costs 30rmb for 66 hours ), and language/cultural barriers. Mainland Chinese played on the Taiwanese servers before the outage, because in the words of one of my Chinese colleagues - "The Chinese servers are a piece of shit, and they don't have Wrath of the Lich King"

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I hope this will strangle the gold farming business for good. Those bastards don't deserve a penny for their efforts.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
I'm siding with China on this one. Anything that hurts WoW and Starcraft II is good in my book.