China Bans Gangster Games

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
HG131 said:
TaborMallory said:
HG131 said:
TaborMallory said:
While I'm not surprised, they're still being a bit harsh.

As for my personal opinion, I could care less if I had no access to gangster related stuff; I still have yet to see anything cool or interesting that came from it.
Saints Row 2
Error 404: Entertainment Not Found

Heh... sorry. But in all seriousness, I thought Saints Row was ridiculous.
That's why it's fun. Saint's Row 2 is better than 1.
I meant the entire series when I said that. Nor do I like GTA, The Godfather, gangster paraphernalia, gangster slang, or gangster music.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
yeah but when they google Square of Heavenly Peace, the chinees people dont get these pictures

If the chinees goverment can censor the interwebz they can probably do whatever they want.
feel sorry for the people :(

bookboy

Mar 16, 2009
hmmmm... advocating violence and undermining traditional Chinese culture, they mean sort of like the chinese government?

Photon987

May 27, 2009
Considering that around the time of the Olympics they had managed to ban "ghosts" (actually, anything relating to horror audio/visual media, in general), I can't say that I am surprised.

*Edit* For even more fun, search "china bans" on Google! Plastic bags, deviantart, youtube, reincarnation, and much, much more!

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Well to be fair, China does have a massive problem with organized crime.

Then agian, the goverment organize it.

Panzer_God

Welcome to the League of Piccolo
Apr 29, 2009
They're just pissed that the triads are always bad guys with hugely stereotypical weapons and fighting styles.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Exactly how does banning bored kids from staying at home and playing videogames prevent them from leaving home and committing crimes in real life?

I have to work in retail and honestly wish more would stay at home and play games then shop lift at my store. Why do thirteen year old girls need so many condoms by the way?
Uhhhmmm...I don't want to think about that too long.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I think your missing the key bit about "Traditional Chinese Culture" which in this case doesn't mean traditional, but Communist.

Such games encourage people to support a degree of independance and working against the system for their betterment even if they seperate fantasy from reality. This is the issue more than anything else.

Also to be totally honest while many would consider it paranoid consider that China is putting all the chips into place for a bid at world conquest. It's building up a military in spite of having no real viable enemies, it's closing itself off to the outside world while releasing unprecedented amounts of internal propaganda and rattling it's sabers.

In of itself this is not terrible but you have to look at the big picture and that picture is far from comforting.

I feel that when it comes to China right now we're looking at the period where we could save the world a lot of grief by throwing the first punch and taking them down hard before they get into a position to take the initiative.

We're living the exact moment in history which people will look back retroactively on (if we manage to survive/win) and ask "how did they not see that coming" and "why didn't they do anything"?

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Firstly, it doesn't supprise or ofend me in the slightest. China has done a lot worse.

Secondly, I think those who've mentioned the risk that the ban might actually encourage gang-related behaviour might be on to something.

Thirdly, you know when someone starts talking about traditional culture that they are going to be an arsehole. Traditional culture to them is just the bits they like and the stuff they want. Besides, the government has already undermined 90% of the possitive stuff.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
VincentX3 said:
Alright, i'm sorry but I HAVE to say this.

At first I thought it was just Korea and all those little morons...errr..."Koreans" the stupid ones with everything they do and say. (AND God knows what goes threw there mind)

But NOW CHINA? Seriously?
I don't think the south koreans are as bad as north.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
They are a bad influence on youngsters."

Hey China, ever heard of the ESRB? It's this new system which puts an age on games and if not the required age or above it you cannot buy that game.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Well, this means Paper Mario games are banned from China too. That sucks, because I loved plundering for the Pianta Mafia.