China Cracking Down on Piracy

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Greg Tito said:
So far, China has prosecuting more than 28,000 criminal cases of intellectual property theft and more than 6,700 criminal gangs who were either supplying, storing or transporting pirated goods have been broken up.
Your verb form must agree with your tense, Mr. Tito.

Arontala said:
Greg Tito said:
China Cracking Down on Piracy

If the growth of trade between China and the rest of the world is to continue, foreign trademark holders like Hollywood and the gaming industry need some assurance the communist government will continue to prosecute pirates withing its borders.

Spelling error?
Not the only mistake, mon ami. Aren't the Escapist News Monkeys proofreading their work anymore?

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Just meaningless propaganda, at this time nothing will really occur. It will take at least 3 years for 'real' consequences to start having an impact on western industries. It's more of a cultural issue than a legal one.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
Pah...

China is the largest infringer internationally of intellectual property rights...

Its how they build their stuff... they buy one off of a country and then they copy it.

Right now China want to get the Germans in to help them build a new ultra high speed rail line, however Germany are reluctant due to the fact that China could then analyse this and repeat it without going back to Germany. Even replicate it in other countries.

China going after pirates is small fry to keep a few people happy but where it really matters... they truly don't give a shit.

Brazil, India and Russia hardly give a fuck ether... hmmmmmmmm........................... brick countries...

Tadd

Jan 22, 2010
As someone who has lived in China for the past (almost) 6 years and still currently residing here, I can tell you that this news is apparently happening.

Whilst I do not orally support piracy and would not be at a loss if it completely vanished, I have to say, I do take advantage of it.

I have well-over 500 DVDs and I lost count of my PS3, WII and PC titles, each one priced at around 5-10 RMB. (10 RMB to the pound / 6.4 RMB to the dollar)

Five years ago, I couldnt walk down a road in Shanghai without seeing one of these special DVD shops, now they are rare to find! Oh, they are still there, you just need to know where to look.

China has been cutting down on pirated goods. I am here and I am witnessing it.

Skyrim will never be released in China and getting products delivered out (from overseas) can be a real bother. Next week I will probably see a pirated copy of Skyrim in my local DVD shop. I will buy it for $1.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Yup, piracy is the problem with China, not the fact that the vast majority of the population is treated as slave labor under the iron command and complete control of an Orwellian government as sinister as your mind will allow you to comprehend. I'm sure this move will convince people who make 10$ a day and spend several nights of their lives locked inside factories by their employers so they can start working immediately at dawn to buy legally.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
If you believe this, I've got some prime farmland down Bikini Atoll way that I want to sell....

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
incal11 said:
Greg Tito said:
China cracking down on bootlegging
Fixed, anyway that was a better use of the word "piracy" then when it's used to qualify file-sharing.
Both uses of the word piracy are equally accurate.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/piracy

File sharing is unauthorized reproduction. It's making copies of software, music, or other material without permission from those who hold the rights to those files. Thus, it is piracy. So is making unauthorized physical copies.

Check out a dictionary or two before commenting next time, thanks. :)

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
mjc0961 said:
incal11 said:
Greg Tito said:
China cracking down on bootlegging
Fixed, anyway that was a better use of the word "piracy" then when it's used to qualify file-sharing.
Both uses of the word piracy are equally accurate.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/piracy

File sharing is unauthorized reproduction. It's making copies of software, music, or other material without permission from those who hold the rights to those files. Thus, it is piracy. So is making unauthorized physical copies.

Check out a dictionary or two before commenting next time, thanks. :)
I did check out the dictionary, I just plain disagree with it.
It was misused so much the misuse entered the definition, that's how languages evolve, but not always for the best.

warhammerfrog

Feb 7, 2011
Alar said:
Therumancer said:
-Hyper Snip-
This is the kind of thing that makes me feel that a third World War could be approaching us in the next couple of decades if things don't start shaping up for our economy. Also, I really don't like the idea of China taking over the United States, as unlikely as that might seem.
yeah not going to happen. China starting any kind of war with the US which is still a military force stronger than most of the world combined would cripple them. to start with they cant produce their own food or raw resources. Any kind of trade embargo could bring the whole country crashing down.
In reality the Chinese govenrment is only just holding on. They are very insecure so much so that they try to persecute online activists. this is the sign of a desperate communist party trying to keep control.

When oil runs out we will see a number of very intresting revolutions.

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
Looking at China's attempts to rectify past and present image problems, I can't help but shake my head when I read this. People who have money don't suffer from these crack-downs in China. This policy will only hurt the poor who often do these jobs because they are the only available. The problem is much higher up. If you can build an entire theme park based on copyright infringement then that only shows how worthless a promise to combat IP theft is. This crackdown is only going to let the government remove people they deem poor or unwanted.

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
Piracy in China is seen as one of those victimless crimes. It's victimless for the direct seller/buyer because

A) The peddlers selling those bootlegs are not exactly raking in dough. When you sell bootlegs for 5-6 RMB, you make pretty slim profit margins compared to your average ol' Hollywood producer.

B) They can't afford an authentic product anyways. If you think a Chinese dude will fork out a generous day's salary for Windows 7 when he can get it just as good for the cost of a light breakfast than you're not making economic sense.

C) The product may not even legally be sold in the Chinese domestic market.

And why should the government care when

A) China doesn't see any of the profits from enforcing most IP laws anyways

Tadd is right however. Buying bootlegs is far more difficult now. Many Chinese vidoesharing sites like youku and tudou have taken off a lot of their bootlegged movies, and they're more difficult to find online. Cities have also been cracking down hard on bootleggers, and there's fewer bootlegged goods around. They're there, but not nearly as ubiquitous as before. This probably has less to do with what any pale face says, and probably more to do with China's own indigenous film, game, and music industry which the central government has been trying to bolster.