China Displaces 9000 To Build World's Largest Alien-Seeking Telescope

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Corey Schaff said:
e need to build a bigger one before they do!
Contacting and receiving signals are two different things. Though, do you think they would tell everyone if they actually detect something or keep it secret?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
My question is: Were the villagers and farmers okay with the project? Were they accepting of the delocation and the amount of monetary compensation?

If so, then kudos to the Chinese government. A project like this is a boon for scientific research.

If not, then I have serious issues with this project. Scientific progress should never have an involuntary human cost...

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
Vigormortis said:
My question is: Were the villagers and farmers okay with the project? Were they accepting of the dislocation and the amount of monetary compensation?

If so, then kudos to the Chinese government. A project like this is a boon for scientific research.

If not, then I have serious issues with this project. Scientific progress should never have an involuntary human cost...
There are always many sides to these relocation stories.

On one hand, the amount of money the government gave them is huge in China, especially for farmers. With this much money they can pretty much relocate anywhere their hukou will allow and may even have enough money to bride officials to get a better hukou.

On the other hand, the people HAVE to leave. No ifs or buts. Chinese people will often try to make a scene to get more money from the government and for a while it worked really well. People got wiser when they realized the government began hiring gangs to throw the people out of their homes when negotiations failed, then destroying their homes and refusing to give them any money at all.

Also keep in mind that in China only the government is allowed to own land. The people rent the land for a certain number of years (usually 70 years), which can be renewed at the discretion of the government officials. From the Chinese government's perspective, they are compensating people for the years they won't be able to use the land they rent. You may disagree with this situation, but unless the Chinese people overthrow the government or force reforms, they are ruled under their country's laws and that's that.

Fun fact: Ownership rights are not protected under the Canadian constitution and the Canadian government has the right to seize your land and property if it deems it necessary. They usually do so when removing farmers to build airports.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Tiamat666 said:
Space Jawa said:
If this is your attempt to make the US out to be little better than China, I'm going to assume you're trying to tell a joke here.
Not sure what to tell you. If we are talking along the lines of
-civil liberties violated
-number of people tortured
-police brutality
-state surveillance
-capital punishment
-coups d'etat instigated
-wars started and civilians killed

The US and China feature prominently in the first five points and the US leads in the last two by a good margin.

Sweden and the Netherlands on the other hand, have pretty clean records. Like most of Europe. :)
Oh, you're serious. You are seriously trying to make the United States out to be as terrible a place as Communist China, and on top of that, you're trying to sell 'most of Europe' as being this squeaky clean land of sinless honesty and purity that is about as innocent as humanly possible.

I think I may need you to spell out for me the fact that you are actually being 100% serious here and not still joking, because as we all know jokes and sarcasm can oftentimes fail to translate over the internet and I'm still hard pressed to believe that you're not just doing a really good job of selling dry humor here.

Because if you're saying this as an attempt at dry wit comedy, then bravo to you on doing a magnificent job of that.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Yan007 said:
There are always many sides to these relocation stories.

On one hand, the amount of money the government gave them is huge in China, especially for farmers. With this much money they can pretty much relocate anywhere their hukou will allow and may even have enough money to bride officials to get a better hukou.

On the other hand, the people HAVE to leave. No ifs or buts. Chinese people will often try to make a scene to get more money from the government and for a while it worked really well. People got wiser when they realized the government began hiring gangs to throw the people out of their homes when negotiations failed, then destroying their homes and refusing to give them any money at all.

Also keep in mind that in China only the government is allowed to own land. The people rent the land for a certain number of years (usually 70 years), which can be renewed at the discretion of the government officials. From the Chinese government's perspective, they are compensating people for the years they won't be able to use the land they rent. You may disagree with this situation, but unless the Chinese people overthrow the government or force reforms, they are ruled under their country's laws and that's that.
Which I understood beforehand, but just because it could have been worse it does not mean what's happened is acceptable.

Fun fact: Ownership rights are not protected under the Canadian constitution and the Canadian government has the right to seize your land and property if it deems it necessary. They usually do so when removing farmers to build airports.
This still doesn't make the situation acceptable. It only means Canada has laws just as abhorrent.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Space Jawa said:
Oh, you're serious. You are seriously trying to make the United States out to be as terrible a place as Communist China, and on top of that, you're trying to sell 'most of Europe' as being this squeaky clean land of sinless honesty and purity that is about as innocent as humanly possible.

I think I may need you to spell out for me the fact that you are actually being 100% serious here and not still joking, because as we all know jokes and sarcasm can oftentimes fail to translate over the internet and I'm still hard pressed to believe that you're not just doing a really good job of selling dry humor here.

Because if you're saying this as an attempt at dry wit comedy, then bravo to you on doing a magnificent job of that.
Let me spell it out for you. Yes, I'm serious. But no, I don't think the US is a "terrible" place. Neither is China for that matter. In fact, I would like to visit New York this year, and there are millions of people leading happy and fulfilled lives in China.
What I'm saying is that it's an illusion to think that China is the evil repressive regime and the US is the beacon of freedom and democracy in the world. Overall, there is no question about it that China is a more authoritarian regime and that people in the US enjoy more freedoms. But if you know your history and if you've been following the news the last 15 years (maybe you're too young for that) you might have noticed that the US has a number of skeletons in its closet. And on an international level, the US has caused far more damage to the world than China has. But I'm not going to explain all of this to you now. You have Google and Wikipedia at your disposal. If you google my above points and add "US" to it, you'll find many things, but I doubt you're really interested.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so apperently im the only one here really excited for more space exploration happening? Everyone else is too busy bickering over land ownership it seems (in my opinion all land is owned by the state regardless of what laws you have)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Charcharo said:
Strazdas said:
so apperently im the only one here really excited for more space exploration happening? Everyone else is too busy bickering over land ownership it seems (in my opinion all land is owned by the state regardless of what laws you have)
So am I. This is very interesting news on the look for ET life.

It is a bit extreme (why is it like... SO big :p?) but still.
thats kinda the entire point. this is supposedly the biggest one. the bigger it is, the more precise can your observations be. and in space where every milimeter matters because things are so far away, this is important.

Crash_7

May 3, 2014
Strazdas said:
You're not alone. My reaction is, "Good for them. I hope they find something."