China Hacked my Gmail!

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Many of you will remember that time when China hacked political dissidents and foreign journalists' Gmail accounts, prompting Google to stop censoring itself over there. Well, it turns out that now they've got the hacking bug, they're using it on anyone else too.

I logged in earlier to a warning that my account had an open session in another country and that it was possible it had been hacked. The location of that access? China, four days previously. I feel pissed off and violated - and simultaneously glad that I don't have much useful info saved in my account.

I'd thought that those hackings were out of fashion, but it seems someone in China is keeping the pressure up on Google by targeting their customers and users.

Has anyone else had this or something similar happen to them?

snide_cake

Nov 29, 2009
Yeah I received the same sort of message in my inbox.

At first I only saw the banner stating "we believe that..." before I had clicked away from it and it didn't come back for ages...

Anyways, yeah they showed the IP address and I couldn't be bothered to verify if it really was a Chinese IP. Just changed my password and hoped that my account is disinteresting enough for them to skim-read it and move on.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Yup.

My account was accessed from China three separate times a few days back.

I changed my password and it hasn't happened since, and they didn't actually do anything other than access it, so I'm not too worried.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Yup.

My account was accessed from China three separate times a few days back.

I changed my password and it hasn't happened since, and they didn't actually do anything other than access it, so I'm not too worried.
Yeah this, I've not been hacked since I changed my password.

Nice to see the Chinese government are still up to their tricks.

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
Same here. It was my alternate e-mail (I use for random subscriptions and such), and thus they didn't get my Bnet account information or anything like that! HAH! I'm at loss how they got it though, since I haven't been on any sites that have keyloggers or the such.

Maybe a gmail-server got hacked?

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Boneasse said:
Same here. It was my alternate e-mail (I use for random subscriptions and such), and thus they didn't get my Bnet account information or anything like that! HAH! I'm at loss how they got it though, since I haven't been on any sites that have keyloggers or the such.

Maybe a gmail-server got hacked?
Yeah I'm guessing it was this since a mass keylogger epidemic is unlikely, though still possible; they could have installed stuff on our systems ages ago but set it to activate keylogging at a specific point in time. Still unlikely though since as soon as it started behaving suspiciously it'd be spotted by antivirus stuff.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
And where do you get to see that info about someone logging to your gmail account ?

Apr 29, 2010
China hacked mine a few days ago. Oh, they're so silly.
Ironic Pirate said:
Ooh, I'm going to send a bunch of fake emails about missile silos now.

Take that, China!
Want me to send you the names of some people I know who sell plutonium?