China Lifts 15-Year Ban on Consoles

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
I wonder how they plan to deal with China's famously rampant piracy.
As far as i know theres no way pirate games on the ps4 and the xbone yet. Worst case scenario - the Chinese will be the ones to crack it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I hope that means we'll soon get news on the Fun Box. I'm curious to see what a new competitor in the console market might do.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Considering how much of the console's respective libraries are going to be banned under China's censorship laws, will they even bother releasing?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
praetor_alpha said:
Eric the Orange said:
When it's easier to buy things than pirate (and at reasonable prices), people tend to buy. Not being restricted to the black market makes things easier.
Have you BEEN to china? Pirating anything out there is a million times easier than buying legitimate. It might not be RELIABLE, but you'll certainly get that 'Sory PayStootion 6' nice and easy.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Charli said:
praetor_alpha said:
Eric the Orange said:
When it's easier to buy things than pirate (and at reasonable prices), people tend to buy. Not being restricted to the black market makes things easier.
Have you BEEN to china? Pirating anything out there is a million times easier than buying legitimate. It might not be RELIABLE, but you'll certainly get that 'Sory PayStootion 6' nice and easy.
Maybe that's because the legitimate way has been banned for 14 years.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
008Zulu said:
Considering how much of the console's respective libraries are going to be banned under China's censorship laws, will they even bother releasing?
Due to the size of china market we will see self-censorship in games be more rampant to fit within their guidelines.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
BeerTent said:
dochmbi said:
Eric the Orange said:
Easy, just release games on PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U only. None of those platforms have been hacked so far, there is no homebrew games available nor can you play "backups".
Oh how lovely it is to be so naive.

You might be true on the homebrew part. Those do take quite some time. But these things get modchips and cracks essentially out of the gate. All it takes is a google search, and I found 8 chips. That being said, the PS4 seems to be the luckiest so far, as the most I can find are modified parts for longevity.
Well, I call bullshit on that. I've been paying close attention and there are a lot of sites proclaiming to have hacks or selling fake stuff. Yet if the Xbox One and PS4 had really been hacked, how come you can't find any games for them on torrent sites?

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
dochmbi said:
BeerTent said:
dochmbi said:
Eric the Orange said:
Easy, just release games on PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U only. None of those platforms have been hacked so far, there is no homebrew games available nor can you play "backups".
Oh how lovely it is to be so naive.

You might be true on the homebrew part. Those do take quite some time. But these things get modchips and cracks essentially out of the gate. All it takes is a google search, and I found 8 chips. That being said, the PS4 seems to be the luckiest so far, as the most I can find are modified parts for longevity.
Well, I call bullshit on that. I've been paying close attention and there are a lot of sites proclaiming to have hacks or selling fake stuff. Yet if the Xbox One and PS4 had really been hacked, how come you can't find any games for them on torrent sites?
Can't comment much on that one. I've no reason to go rooting for those games. I'm not sure what the launch titles are and I've yet to come across an exclusive that I want to remember, but I have noticed in my searches there's a lot missing. XBOX games are much more difficult to find, as the XB1 has to contend with the 1st generation Xbox. Something may exist there, but it's also difficult to find.

I'll keep going with the PS4 being lucky as hell. Searching for it gets me a lot of Asian torrents, and some of them are flagged as nasties. Let's wait on that one.

I'm not going to bother searching anything for the WiiU. If the Wii is any indication, Nintendo basically wants you to hack the shit out of it. You look that one up yourself.

We saw this when the Gen1Xbox became a thing... The OS was hacked and it was chipped pretty quickly, the games have a copy protection to them too. If they're smart about it, every game may have a different form of DRM. So, you know what? You're right to call bullshit. I saw the chips, I read the reviews, but we've yet to come across the proper library. Piracy on these things is still in it's infancy. I really thought the hacks would have jumped out of the woodwork by now.

I assure you though, the Chinese are a smart people. They'll tear this shit apart.