China Opens Unofficial League of Legends Restaurant

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
This is great. Such restaurans should be more popular but due to stupidly written copyright laws in the west such is not possible.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
So if this is like a normal restaurant, shouldn't somebody open a DOTA themed, more expensive restaurant across the street where they allow you to steal food of other peoples plates if they have less than 10% of the original mass left?

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
bananafishtoday said:
I dunno what the actual laws are like, but China has very different cultural notions about things like piracy/intellectual property/etc. The prevailing belief is that production of culture belongs to the public as a whole: if you write a book or make a movie or whatever, you have no right to deny access to it based on money.
It's not really a Chinese culture thing - well rather, it is in that the gov't turning a blind eye towards enforcing it for such a long time (China did not consider Western IP laws til 1992 or so, so it's still 'new' to them) has created a culture around it, but not for sharing and creating (derivitives), but copying and profiting from it. Coupled with 1b+ people, where even if caught, they'd just close up shop and reopen as another fake branded product, rarely with any follow up and punishment.

Said lack of regulations also causes situations where companies copy without the research behind the product, resulting in the manufacturing process cutting corners because Western markets want lower prices (re: Wal-Mart). Cutting corners like inserting poisonous chemicals into baby formula powder to bypass tests, which end up killing babies. Or the same into pet treats. Or using chemicals to make soy sauce out of hair. Or a train system where the understanding of safety systems were not in place, causing a crash and loss of life. And also due to costs, treat their employees like crap (Foxconn anyone?).

Not to say western IP laws are better with their 50y+ duration, but there should be some happy middle ground between locked down forever to a free for all with no compensation or incentive for the content creator.

Neither extreme is good for civilization the way it is currently.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
I'll just say what was said on the LoL forums. I am now thinking about an asian Caitlyn threesome.

We'll see how this turns out though. Riot is owned by a Chinese company. A pretty powerful Chinese company at that. China may not have respect for international IP laws, but I don't believe they would sit back and watch as their own IP was hurt.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Personally, considering the way copyright laws are here in the states, companies DESERVE to have their IPs used like this.

As for this restaurant, I see one potential flaw. Are they going to have to release a new menu item every month to balance out the flavors of the other items?

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
I wasn't sure about this place at first, but then I ate some oranges and it was k.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
Eri said:
Oh look, A Chinese company/person opening a store/park with no regard for who actually owns the IP. How surprising.
Who actually gives a damn about IP laws these days except gigantic megacorporations and their overpaid lawyers?

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
As much as i would like to eat there, i think that i would have this nagging feeling that im eating a sentient being.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Drejer43 said:
As much as i would like to eat there, i think that i would have this nagging feeling that im eating a sentient being.
Come on now, cats are merely pseudo-sentient.

China has a wonderful model that seems to be working entirely in their favor. You can't knock off a Chinese product because it's already a knock-off of something made by a Western nation. So it's not like the West can just say "If you won't take into account our copyright laws in your country then we won't consider them for ours." because the very things you aren't protecting are already knock-offs anyway.

I don't think the Chinese have globally produced a single memorable product that has copyright protection.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Ok, that's fucking awesome. They even called it Demacia? Well, I guess that Garentees their success right?

[sub]You get it? I did like a thing...[/sub]

Just add a Teemo-related dish and watch their popularity soar. HATE that little bastard! I just want to CHASE THE TEEMO! DIE YOU ***** AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I hope they pay a guy to sit inside a bush dressed as Garen and occasionally jump out on people. That would be so hype!

However by naming it the Demacia they may have shot themselves in the foot by excluding all the Noxian and Ionian characters. Hell, why is Caitlyn working there? Must be an undercover case outside of Piltover, very hush hush.

If the chefs aren't dressed as Katarina when it comes to preparing the food with, y'know knives i'll be so disappointed. EVEN THE MALES!

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
Deathfish15 said:
Like Dandark, I'm also glad that copyright lawyers cannot reach China. I think they've gone completely overboard in the US, where companies are just bullshitting other companies for the sake of trying to make a quick buck. If they were in the US, I'm sure that Riot would get a portion of the money, but I'd hope that they'd actually allow such a place for the entertainment and advertisement purposes.
Except this isn't "Companies bullshitting other companies" This is a case of someone that had no stake or risk in the development of League of Legends profiting off the hard work of others. This is the true motive of copyright law. This is why it exists. This is what copyright law is meant to prevent.

No, this right here is bootlegging.

And it's bullshit.

JohnReaper

Jun 8, 2009
NoneOfYourBusiness said:
I truly wish that they have a Mordekaiser meal which is just a chunk of metal.
Dude, with cake you can make it look like anything.....It would have to be stale cake though.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
In China copyrights mean nothing.. nothing at all. I guess a human life doesn't means nothing either there.. just having a feeling. So many people there.