China Pirates Japan's Giant Gundam Statue

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"Robber Economy" indeed.
They really don't innovate anything anymore, do they?

Cmon China. Among your billions of people, you have to have SOME cultural identity left.

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
Spookimitsu said:
I'd really like to finally see some full size macross love.

Anyone? Anyone???
i'm up for that, though i must ask, full size valkyrie or full size macross battlecruiser? also it creates the unspoken obligation to create the most epic song ever concieved to play from speakers embedded on it

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Tom Phoenix said:
Why is everyone saying they should have made the Dragon Gundam? Personally, I would much prefer either Shenlong or Altron Gundam from Gundam Wing:

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. It definitely fits better, I think.

Spookimitsu

Aug 7, 2008
blind_dead_mcjones said:
Spookimitsu said:
I'd really like to finally see some full size macross love.

Anyone? Anyone???
i'm up for that, though i must ask, full size valkyrie or full size macross battlecruiser, it also creates the unspoken obligation to create the most epic song ever concieved to play from speakers embedded on it
I mean like derelict SDF-1 in a giant man-made lake with holographic concerts at night. So I guess you would only need the top portion of the battlecruiser....

A nice Skull Squadron valk would be nice too. I wont be greedy. hmmmmm VF-0. tastey

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
HankMan said:
Jbird said:
I am dead serious when I say they need to battle. It will be the greatest fight in human history.
There is only one way... you hold down Shia LaBeouf while I get my scalpel

Edit:JUST SO WE'RE CLEAR MODS I'm talking about retrieving the 'Matrix'
What the hell are you talking about? o_O?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
The funny thing is, people actually think those are JUST statues. It's the most conspicuous giant-mecha project in the history of humanity, and NOBODY CARES.

Ultra_Caboose

Aug 25, 2008
-Zen- said:
China: a country that formerly kept itself isolated from the rest of the world due to its notion of cultural superiority, now shamelessly stealing ideas from other countries.

Seriously, the only reason why this isn't completely silly in Japan is because Gundam was created there and attained tremendous popularity there. It has cultural significance in Japan.

I'm sure there are a lot of Dragon Ball Z fans in America, but you don't see anyone building a massive bronze statue of Goku.
Believe me, If I knew how to make bronze statues, I'd have Goku in my front yard. I'd also have Krillin with a Destructo Disc in the backyard serving as a fancy back porch table.

The orange-ish color of the chinese Gundam kind of makes me think of the "Char Custom" Gundam that I've seen models of. Maybe China really loves Char, but aren't secure enough to make their Gundam that delightful shade of pink.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
mb16 said:
and then a PROPER MECH like a MadCat turns up and kills both, due to there being the rules of physics in this world AKA a 200 tonne robot cant fly.

Mechs= upgrade of tanks which have a large amount of fire power but are still highly mobile. They are not just big versions of power-amour that can defy logic and physics

yes you can run and jump. but i have a few 100 missiles after you
Did you say "proper"? I think you meant "ugly and boring."

Get those disgusting Western mecha out of here ;)

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Evilsanta said:
Awesome....GAH!! Why can't Sweden be as awesome and build something like this to?!

I demand a giant robot to be built here!

And they need to make these to robot statues to battle.
You do realise
is Sweden's gundam, right? Do you REALLY want a giant one of those?

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
blind_dead_mcjones said:
i'm confused, why go to all the effort of trying to make of knock off when you could apply that effort of making your own unique object/design?

mb16 said:
and then a PROPER MECH like a MadCat turns up and kills both, due to there being the rules of physics in this world AKA a 200 tonne robot cant fly.

Mechs= upgrade of tanks which have a large amount of fire power but are still highly mobile. They are not just big versions of power-amour that can defy logic and physics

yes you can run and jump. but i have a few 100 missiles after you
sorry to burst your bubble but the madcat and all the other mechs in battletech are just as physics defying as gundams (seriously, 75 tonnes? at 12.75 meters? that thing would tear itself apart under its own weight in the same way an 18 meter high gundam would if they existed in reality)

also you can't compare two objects from two completely different franchises which run on different made up physic to justify their use, thats just being silly
i have seen normal Steel I beams used in cranes that can support +7tonnes so why couldn't a leg/arm/etc in the carry 30 tones or so if it was properly made. Also im pretty sure a mech is alot more "practical/easier" to make than a gundam. For a mech once you have the legs done you basically fit a tank to the top and add guns.

also YOUR BEING SILLY so ha!

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
John Funk said:
mb16 said:

compared to what a angsty teen in side a massive power ranger

also i would prefer to be in a "boring" mech that can win a battle. Rather than just taunting the other angsty teen who is flying/swimming/sprinting/hiding you know things that 200 tones of steel would find hard to do

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Erana said:
Evilsanta said:
Awesome....GAH!! Why can't Sweden be as awesome and build something like this to?!

I demand a giant robot to be built here!

And they need to make these to robot statues to battle.
You do realise
is Sweden's gundam, right? Do you REALLY want a giant one of those?

MY EYES!

OT: Really? I never really got around to watch any Gundam show. I guess the pilot is female then?

But it doesn't have to be that particular one...

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
And soon we will here that the Japanese and Chinese are training mech pilots and then we're all screwed!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
mb16 said:
John Funk said:
mb16 said:

compared to what a angsty teen in side a massive power ranger

also i would prefer to be in a "boring" mech that can win a battle. Rather than just taunting the other angsty teen who is flying/swimming/sprinting/hiding you know things that 200 tones of steel would find hard to do
Okay, are you actually trying to compare these on "realism" grounds? You know we're talking about an inherently unrealistic concept, right? The Atlas and Mad Cat are just as implausible as any Gundam, they just happen to look worse (or are ripped off of early Japanese designs from Macross). As long as we're being unrealistic, let's be *fun* with it.

I'll see your boring, plodding gun platform and raise you a Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann [http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/gurennlagann/images/5/5f/TengenToppaGurren-LagannMECH.jpg].