China riots, island tensions and the UN -updated

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Stripes said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Stripes said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Steppin Razor said:
What is it with Asian countries and hating each other so much? They're getting to be almost as bad as differing religious sects that will murder each other at the drop of a hat.
They've been at war with each other. A lot.

It's no different than England/France or England/Scotland or England/Ireland. Well it's a little different as the last time the east Asian countries were at war was WW2, so there's still a fair amount of people who lived through that.

It'll fade in time but for the moment it's still contentious.
We arent at risk of war and we dont genuinely hate each other. The Chinese seem to genuinely hate Japan (for not being china it seems). It isnt comparable.
I wasn't saying that you were at risk of war or you full-on hated each other, just that there's bad blood from past conflicts.
Comparing us to them makes it seem like you were.
Why? England haven't been at risk of war with France/Scotland/Ireland for a long time.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
This seems to be a case of the straw that broke the cammel's back. The Chinese were bound to respond to the slightest provocation. This isn't about the islands. Its hateful revenge

MrPeanut

Jun 18, 2011
The misconception that the Japanese navy is weak is quite funny.

In reality their navy is strong enough to sink the Chinese navy in a blink.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
MrPeanut said:

That isn't saying anything. The Chinese navy isn't worth ****. They just throw people at you until you die.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
PercyBoleyn said:
Tadd said:
You live in Shangai? Can you tell me what it's like living in China? How does the CPC treat freedom of speech?
I wouldn't mind visiting China, I hear that the Oppression is absolutely lovely this time of year

Seriously, china have been stealing technology, subjugating the population into a pseudo slave race and have brainwashed the masses, they always give lame responses for being caught red handed doing something wrong and have been broadening their territory by FORCE for no fucking reason than to say its their RIGHT as the 'superior chinese' to own everything

They know that they cant go to war since most of the world will be against it but that doesn't stop the fact they they WANT to, if they could they would have taken over the world a looooong time ago...

China are the new Nazis along with their narrow minded ally North Korea while the rest of Asia is dragged into this mess, wait I retract that Nazis for all their atrocity's didn't treat their fellow countrymen like SHIT, China would have ruled the world and STILL treat most their people like trash. WHY!?

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
LifeCharacter said:
MrPeanut said:

The misconception that China is capable of going to war with the US is equally funny, what with the entire Pacific and a Navy that is both better equipped and outnumbers theirs 3 to 1 standing between them and America.
China probably want to use the 'human wave' tactic of overwhelming the enemy with shear numbers

I don't even want to think of the slaughter if the US submarines got involved...

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
FantomOmega said:
[...]Nazis for all their atrocity's didn't treat their fellow countrymen like SHIT[...]
You've got to be joking... Without being actually funny.

What about their fellow countrymen who were gay? Or had a disability? Or had a different political viewpoint? What about social democrats or communists or even conservatives in Germany? What about those who had a mental disease? Or those who made art or literature that wasn't to the party's liking?

What about their fellow countrymen who happened to be jewish?

I see comparisons to the Nazis here as justified and I did it myself because it's the same transparent and obvious propaganda...

But what you wrote there was just stupid.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Squilookle said:

This was literally the first thing that came to mind when I read that. Invasion, Wa-Hey!
*Looks up to see a naked blonde girl on the periscope* HOLLYWOOD! HOLLYWOOD! HOLLYWOOOOOOOOOOD!

Great film :D

OT: Please don't do anything rash, China, Japan and America. Please. I'll give you 300 yen.

RoonMian said:
Maybe it's because I am German but for some reason the first thing I'm reminded of by this mess is:

I thought exactly the same thing. It saddens me a great deal.

Stripes

May 22, 2012
Amethyst Wind said:
Stripes said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Stripes said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Steppin Razor said:
What is it with Asian countries and hating each other so much? They're getting to be almost as bad as differing religious sects that will murder each other at the drop of a hat.
They've been at war with each other. A lot.

It's no different than England/France or England/Scotland or England/Ireland. Well it's a little different as the last time the east Asian countries were at war was WW2, so there's still a fair amount of people who lived through that.

It'll fade in time but for the moment it's still contentious.
We arent at risk of war and we dont genuinely hate each other. The Chinese seem to genuinely hate Japan (for not being china it seems). It isnt comparable.
I wasn't saying that you were at risk of war or you full-on hated each other, just that there's bad blood from past conflicts.
Comparing us to them makes it seem like you were.
Why? England haven't been at risk of war with France/Scotland/Ireland for a long time.
Because China and Japan are at risk of war and clearly do hate each other right now. England and all those other countries (though its Great Britain now so its the same country which names certain areas after the countries they used to be) are not at risk of war and dont hate each other. Its a bad comparison and puts the country in a bad light, im just asking that you dont do that.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Blegh. I'm no fan of politics, especially when arbitrary things like this lead to conflict.

I'm sure the islands have some important resource or something that has both China and Japan wanting to take them over, but honestly the world's in a bit of a crapper atm, and I'm sincerely, sincerely hoping that neither side does something rash and idiotic.

At the very worst, I can see Japan just pulling its operations outside of China, which would probably be a blow to their economy, but I doubt that either country would be willing to get into a war. The United Nations would be all over that in a moment.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Look at both World Wars. There was always a huge dispute leading up to them and then a tipping point. I have a nasty feeling we've recently seen these tipping points. The Anti-Japan riots in China, the Anti-America/Islam riots in the Middle East. I'm usually not pessimistic but I have a sinking feeling about everything happening in the world right now.

Let's just hope I'm wrong.

Captcha: know your rights. This does not bode well.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
albino boo said:
Sleekit said:
albino boo said:
Tell that to the Tibetans who they invaded in 1956, the Indians who they attacked in 1962, the Russians who they attacked in 1969 and the Vietnamese who they attacked in 1979.

to the Chinese Tibet is part of China. it only existed as an independent state for 30 years of its entire history. "old maps" as i said before.

the rest were cold war border conflicts that resulted in next to no territorial change and directly led to the Sino-Soviet split and China becoming a US ally in the cold war. if you want to frame those as Chinese "imperialist" aggression you simply are making a mockery of far more complicated history involved.

and by my "logic" nothing. my or your supposed "logic" and your desire for the world to adhere to it while throwing around false equivalences doesn't shape the world. but the Chinese Confuciust view of China does shape their world and maybe just maybe you should find out what the hell that is before you go trying to label them the next overly simplistic "big bad" on the world stage simply because for your own world view to work you've got to have one.

this ? this a an argument about a rock in the sea akin to multitudes of others some of which almost certainly involve your own country ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_territorial_disputes ) and as such it doesn't particularly mark China down as anything.
Just how long did Poland exist as independent country before the Germans invaded? Tibet has been part of China for periods of history, first coming into Chinese control under the Mongols and has come and gone since with the strength of the ruling dynasties. Much like Poland has appeared and disappeared in the same time period. China since WW2 has consistently used armed force in backing its view of the borders, in the process killing 10000s of poeple and attempting to destroy any non Chinese culture within its selfdefined borders. 90% of countries in the world can make convincing historical claims to control of parts or even entire other countries, why is it acceptable for China to used armed force on its claims but not Mexico to invade the US to reclaim the southern half of the US?
Just because getting somewhat off topic is fun, Poland had existed for very close to 20 years at that time. If I remember right, it took a couple years after WW1 for everything to get sorted out and their territory and independent government to be reestablished. Before that, there had been no such thing as Poland since the late 1700s. However, a couple hundred years before that the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth had been one of the largest countries in Europe, both by land area and population, and it was independent in some form or other for most of several hundred years, starting in the 10th century with the Piast dynasty.

Not quite the same kind of situation as Tibet, although they had a pretty decent empire at one point too that took up a good chunk of western and central China and the surrounding countries. Contrary to their claims that Tibet has always been part of China, parts of China at one point used to belong to Tibet, depending on how you look at it (and then later both of them belonged to the Mongols, along with a quarter of the rest of the planet, but that's another story...).

Yay history!

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
So if I understand the OP, these islands have been Japanese territory since 1972, but when it turned out they were actually worth something, China started calling dibs? And they're mad because something they never owned was sold without their consent? Or am I reading this wrong?

Also:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:

Major fucking brofist to this guy.
It will take a tanker to deliver all the brofists this guy deserves.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
I actually like Japan, and any Chinese people not involved in their government. I'd be pretty upset to see either side get hurt in armed conflict.

Seriously, why can't China just, you know, ask for the their motherfucking island back?

Or you know, purchase it! Legally! Instead of having to be the big dick-waving bully, they could follow the same process as Japan and prove they're the bigger man, metaphorically. Seriously.

snake4769

Feb 10, 2011
AverageExtraordinair said:
SajuukKhar said:
I find it sad that in a an age were people can make large hydron super particle collides, and other feats of science, we have yet to evolve past the barbaric nature of our caveman ancestors.

Even after thousands of years of evolution, our so called civilization is nothing really more then a facade was put up, but at even the slightest provocation we end up breaking down to our most base personality.
bingo, I have been saying this for years. Its never going to change either because its our nature. The advancement of our species has brought about many advances and change the way we live radically no mount of technology will change what we are at the core.
Or maybe it comes down to the people who were lucky enough to be born in the shit class, and are just tired and pissed off. I doubt many riches or people with power are down there rioting. Same goes for the possible future of the U.S.

Jun 5, 2012
snake4769 said:
AverageExtraordinair said:
SajuukKhar said:
I find it sad that in a an age were people can make large hydron super particle collides, and other feats of science, we have yet to evolve past the barbaric nature of our caveman ancestors.

Even after thousands of years of evolution, our so called civilization is nothing really more then a facade was put up, but at even the slightest provocation we end up breaking down to our most base personality.
bingo, I have been saying this for years. Its never going to change either because its our nature. The advancement of our species has brought about many advances and change the way we live radically no mount of technology will change what we are at the core.
Or maybe it comes down to the people who were lucky enough to be born in the shit class, and are just tired and pissed off. I doubt many riches or people with power are down there rioting. Same goes for the possible future of the U.S.
Rich people tend to operate in the back round in these types of situations. They have other options to channel their selfish destructive energies then poor people do. They can also act through proxies.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
I don't know where you guys are getting the impression that the JMSDF has a chance against China's navy.

Japan's navy has 45,800 personnel, with 44 combat ships and 21 submarines.

China's navy has ~250,000 personnel, with 75 combat ships, 61 submarines and an aircraft carrier.

...But wait, who's that?

Oh, hello America.

What's that? You have ten aircraft carriers? How do think China...?

To shreds you say...

Japan is fine you guys.