Chinese City Builds A Stargate to Nowhere

Gormech

May 10, 2012
So is the next terrorist attack for someone to fly a plane through the ring?

*edit*
Come on. I can't be the only one wanting to see someone fly through it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
The ring is evil! We must take it and destroy it with the fires from whence it came! Who's with me?

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Stargate? pfft its a Space Bridge, clearly it's been made so the real Optimus Prime can come through and step on Michael Bay so he stops making so many insultingly stupid movies about him.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Gormech said:
So is the next terrorist attack for someone to fly a plane through the ring?

*edit*
Come on. I can't be the only one wanting to see someone fly through it.
Read this and instantly thought of this.

Can you imagine? :D Haha!

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Stargate? Looks more like one of those bladeless Dyson fans [http://twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/air-multiplier-technology-explained-dyson-bladeless-fan.jpg]. That city is going to save so much money on air conditioning.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
It doesn't look like a stargate to me, more like one of those Dyson Airblades.

Sorry, have you heard that one before?

Think about what people were saying about flying a plane through one of these things, they should build a whole sequence of them. Extra points if you fly through all of them in order!

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
So let me get this straight.

A news is reported that the Chinese have built a monument in a city in order to attract tourists and new inhabitants. So far so good. Then you take the news completely out of context, stick a "Chinese City Builds A Stargate to Nowhere" header and then put a paragraph of one of your authors raving about things that don't have anything to do with said article and stick it in the news section?

Average day in Gaming Journalism I guess.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Stargate was such an awesome show. Even when SG-1 ended it seemed like there was so much life in the series. Atlantis was on a good run and the movies were gonna come out.

Destiny was definitely a great change in style and direction. I was only starting to like it by the time it ended.

oh yeah, and the ring is pretty cool, though soon we'll have a slide show of all the giant shapes people have created.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
China built the national epic. Great people generation increased.

Earns great general at double rate!

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Quaxar said:
Greg Tito said:
There is certainly precedent for building large monuments that serve no other purpose than to impress the world. There's the Pyramids at Giza, of course, and the Colossus of Rhodes. In modern times you could say the St. Louis Arch, Mt. Rushmore and London's Millennium Eye fit that bill.
That's silly. The pyramids were vitally important for Egyptian burial ceremonies, the Colossus was an appeal to the gods and the London Eye is a perfectly good ferris wheel.

Anyway, I can just see how they'll manage to run into trouble. Big shiny ring? Can't imagine how that could ever <url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_Concert_Hall#Reflection_problems>go <url=http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/swanky-vegas-hotel-death-ray-proves-inconvenience-guests.html>wrong.
Wait... in one sentence we talk about Stargates and then another you claim the pyramids had no purpose. It was for the Goa'uld to land on.

On a more serious note: they say they will have an elevator? In a round object? Should be interesting seeing the implementation for that one.

not_the_dm

Aug 5, 2009
mad825 said:
It's clearly for Apophis when he arrives in 2036. He needs to transport his slaves.

Bravo sir, bravo.

Oh, and this is my new favourite conspiricy (theory).
[small]I put theory in brackets because the previous one was Operation Snow White.[/small]

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
In no particluar order:
  • 1. So that's where all of the steel went when the World Trade Centers debris was carted off. Towers 1,2 & 7 you will be missed.
    2. If you step inside, you disappear and the ring wraiths come after you.
    3. $1 says somebody finds a way to BASE jump from it before the year is out.
    4. [Translated from Chinese] "Buildings are just giant square pegs. Anybody got another idea for a tourist attraction?"
    5. You know--for kids!

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
FoolKiller said:
On a more serious note: they say they will have an elevator? In a round object? Should be interesting seeing the implementation for that one.
The St. Louis Arch is very similar. There is a giant cable system that wraps all the way up through the arch and connects below ground. The elevators follow a guided track and are cylinders which ratchet periodically to keep you mostly upright. It's like riding the Zipper at a carnival, but without the puking.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Twilight_guy said:
Watch more Stargate. It's not a regular Stargate its a Super-gate. It doesn't need glyphs, or a DHD. Also, its used to bring in motherships. I think Doomsday was off by a couple of weeks.
So... The Ori are coming? God damn it, I could live with goa'uld oppression, at least they were nice and theatrical about it.

Tygerml

Nov 16, 2008
MarsProbe said:
It doesn't look like a stargate to me, more like one of those Dyson Airblades.

Sorry, have you heard that one before?

Think about what people were saying about flying a plane through one of these things, they should build a whole sequence of them. Extra points if you fly through all of them in order!
Well that was the original plan, the designer just got finished playing his new bootleg copy of Superman 64 and felt inspired to build the same sort of rings he enjoyed so much all over town.

Unfortunately the Chinese Department of Exploding Objects rejected it, given the high probability of everything ever made in China spontaneously exploding. They surmised that several large metal rings exploding randomly around the city was an serious hazard, so instead they just used all the metal to make one large ring, because one huge crater is better than 100 small ones.

The designer was going to protest this change to his vision, but his bootleg game cartridge exploded, killing him.