Chinese Government Nixes WoW Again

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Chinese Government Nixes WoW Again

The future of Blizzard's megaton MMOG may be in jeopardy (in China) as the game finds itself caught between two warring factions in the Chinese government.

It's not as though we didn't see this one coming: After two months of downtime in China pending approval for Wrath of the Lich King, World of Warcraft barring foreign investment in online gaming in China [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93334-WoW-to-Partially-Relaunch-in-China] made many wonder about whether or not the government entity would be targeting WoW in particular.

said it had not yet received official notice [http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNewsAndPR/idUSN0245010720091102?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=11604&sp=true].

This move is seen by many as part of a power struggle between the GAPP and the Chinese Ministry of Culture, which had been given the power to regulate online games that had previously belonged to the GAPP. The MoC was the regulatory body that gave the A-OK to WoW: Wrath of the Lich King this past summer once the necessary edits had been made, which may be why the GAPP has targeted Burning Crusade instead.

Even in the worst-case scenario - in which WoW is banned in China permanently - Blizzard is unlikely to be severely affected. During the two-month blackout this summer, many Chinese players simply opted to log onto Taiwanese servers and play via that network instead. While the Chinese playerbase is estimated to make up anywhere from 40% to 50% of the total WoW population, currency imbalances, revenue-splitting and different payment plans means that the Chinese market produces only about 5-6% of WoW's total income. Which is still multiple millions of dollars, but not as severe a loss as it might have been.

(Via Massively [http://www.massively.com/2009/11/02/breaking-chinese-government-rejects-world-of-warcraft-again/])

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/drock/22905688/])

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Woah, those are some busty drinks bottles...

I jest.

You've gotta think your citizens are quite stupid if you think you need to police how they spend their spare time like that.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
Yay, China one step at a time killing itself...this time by banning WoW...it's lose/lose for them...Let WoW in...money and productivity down the drain....Keep WoW out get backlash from the people...muted ofcourse.

hansari

May 31, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Even in the worst-case scenario - in which WoW is banned in China permanently - Blizzard is unlikely to be severely affected. During the two-month blackout this summer, many Chinese players simply opted to log onto Taiwanese servers and play via that network instead.
So....why not just do that? Why bother with all this stress when there is an alternative that doesn't hurt the consumer?

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
hansari said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Even in the worst-case scenario - in which WoW is banned in China permanently - Blizzard is unlikely to be severely affected. During the two-month blackout this summer, many Chinese players simply opted to log onto Taiwanese servers and play via that network instead.
So....why not just do that? Why bother with all this stress when there is an alternative that doesn't hurt the consumer?
Anything that acknowledges Taiwan hurts China's ego.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
Woah, those are some busty drinks bottles...

I jest.

You've gotta think your citizens are quite stupid if you think you need to police how they spend their spare time like that.
No, they think their citizens are smart.

And thats what they are -AFRAID- of.

So they do their best to keep them stupid. It's not as extreme as North Korea and generally, I accept China as just 'culturally different', except when they conquor and subdue a smaller country and everything *COUGHCOUGHTIBETCOUGH*

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
One of these days China is going to do something like this to a large enough part of their population to cause a revolution. -crosses fingers-

Gestapo Hunter

Oct 20, 2008
stonethered said:
One of these days China is going to do something like this to a large enough part of their population to cause a revolution. -crosses fingers-
smoking ban lol

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
The only people who play MMO's in China are RMT. Seriously. They work hard and sell money to the Japanese and spoilt Americans.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Really, we get to do this crap again? *sigh* I'll get the cinder blocks, duct tape, and flasks.....its gonna be a looooong raid.....

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
I think China has had almost as many problems with WoW as they have had with Tienanmen Square.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Phoenix Arrow said:
The only people who play MMO's in China are RMT. Seriously. They work hard and sell money to the Japanese and spoilt Americans.
Uh... no, not exactly :p

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Phoenix Arrow said:
Uh... no, not exactly :p
I know. :D
I played FFXI, the game with the most messed up currency ever. No Chinese people played it apart from RMT, someone sent me a documentary about it on youtube back in the day. They used to take people in off the street, give them food and shelter in return for them farming for gil. I still can't decide if it's admirable, pure evil or fake.