Chinese Parents Sell Kids To Fund Gaming Habits

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I don't even know how to express my disgust for this action. I can't consider this couple to be human beings; they are something more sinister and insidious.

Unlike some, I would not take this as an example to become depressed and despondent for the future of humanity(far worse, on much larger scales, has happened in the past, and humanity is still here and kicking). However, it does stress and demonstrate the need to maintain a higher sense of values and moral and ethnic character regarding how we treat each other and respect each other's existence as human beings. We should not let ourselves fall into the trap where we so greatly devalue and dismiss, though condescension and conceit, the existence of others that we begin to perceive the worth of others in the same fashion as this couple perceived their own children.

May 26, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
Fangobra said:
vansau said:
Stating that you didn't know it was illegal to sell your child is pretty ludicrous.
Wait, selling children is illegal? SHIT!

In all seriousness though, who or what could you find to sell your children to? I wouldn't have thought it would be a sexual trafficking ring, because then surely the girl would have been worth more than the boys..? Or is that naive?
It's probably organ harvesters.

As depressing as that is.
Maybe, but with the children that young, wouldn't that be a rather long-term investment on the harvesters' part? I'm not sure toddler organs are in high demand on the chinese black market.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
No game is that good that you will sell your child to keep playing.........

Is it ? Hmmmm

May 26, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
Fangobra said:
Abandon4093 said:

Maybe, but with the children that young, wouldn't that be a rather long-term investment on the harvesters' part? I'm not sure toddler organs are in high demand on the chinese black market.
They tend to sell them to other countries. They get more money from selling them illegally to places like North America and Europe. Child organs are still a valuable commodity.

I cannot believe I actually just said that combination of words with a straight face.
Oh I see, so the North Americans and Europeans put them in rich sick children or some other immoral shit?

terror_ninja

Feb 22, 2011
Well I didnt know selling kids was illegal untill you guys told me. NO one had ever pointed it out to me before, why should I know?

elbowlick

Jul 1, 2009
Android2137 said:
First of all, isn't China still under the 1 child per family law? Second, why didn't the girl go for much higher? Girls are rare in China these days due to point 1 and families are importing brides from out of the country. (Not saying babies should get married, but I was expecting girls to get a bit more respect at least.) Third, that much money, and they're spending it on gaming in Internet Cafes? Can't afford a game console, TV, and library of games?
1. This was answered a couple of times on this thread already: families with multiple children are either fined or not supported by the government.
2. The reason why girls are so uncommon in China because no one wants one s an heir. For some reason boys are considered superior, possibly because they can carry the family name.
3. Why not just pirate games? It just comes off as an excuse.

Abandon4093 said:
Fangobra said:
vansau said:
Stating that you didn't know it was illegal to sell your child is pretty ludicrous.

In all seriousness though, who or what could you find to sell your children to? I wouldn't have thought it would be a sexual trafficking ring, because then surely the girl would have been worth more than the boys..? Or is that naive?

A more optimistic proposal would be that they were sold to couples incapable of having children. The boys, anyway.

callmegreen

Jan 29, 2011
I Find this to immensely hilarious!
its Just sooooo fucking retarded that I cant help the fact that I need
to sit in an empty room and laugh my ass off about how funny this is.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Yes, this is awful but think about it this way.
They obviously are too retarded to look after their own kids, and being with parents who will actually look after them will be better for the children. Assuming, the people who bought the kids aren't just buying them to use something as a punch bag for example (but why would you spend nearly 5 grand on a kid, so you can beat the shit out of them?) or some other alternative, like organ harvesters. I wish the article had told us who they sold the children to.

Maybe the games turned them into emotionless, robotic freaks. Therapy perhaps?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
elbowlick said:
[

Abandon4093 said:

A more optimistic proposal would be that they were sold to couples incapable of having children. The boys, anyway.
The optimistic proposals are seldom true.

Realistically, China isn't big on the whole selling children to wanting families. Because most people don't want more kids.

It's easier to just take them, harvest their organs and sell to the highest bidder. I'd be very surprised if any of those children are still alive.
I'm still betting on the sex slavery, at least for the girl. There's a loooot of human trafficking going on, especially in Asia.

This is absolutely sickening. And I don't believe that they wouldn't have some kind of understanding of what usually happens to people that you sell like slaves.

Part of me wishes I had never taken that course on women in Asia...

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Considering the parents were willing to sell them for such arbitrary reasons, I can't help but wonder who the children are better off with.

EDIT:
Abandon4093 said:
Fangobra said:
Abandon4093 said:
Fangobra said:
vansau said:

They tend to sell them to other countries. They get more money from selling them illegally to places like North America and Europe. Child organs are still a valuable commodity.

I cannot believe I actually just said that combination of words with a straight face.

I apologise for my previous statement. I hereby retract my statement, my faith in the "civilised" world and my will to live.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Dango said:
Wouldn't it be cheaper not to have kids in the first place so they wouldn't have to cover medical costs and everything else that has to do with having a child?
4.6K Every 9 months is terrible, even sweat shops pay better than that :/.

...my Captcha is asking me who "76 is on the side of."

Um...It's an abstract number.

Are we REALLY so far into oil companies that they own digits? The 76 isn't even shown as their logo.

I've never been so insulted by a captcha........

good lord.

Erana said:
Abandon4093 said:
elbowlick said:
[

Abandon4093 said:

Realistically, China isn't big on the whole selling children to wanting families. Because most people don't want more kids.

It's easier to just take them, harvest their organs and sell to the highest bidder. I'd be very surprised if any of those children are still alive.
I'm still betting on the sex slavery, at least for the girl. There's a loooot of human trafficking going on, especially in Asia.

This is absolutely sickening. And I don't believe that they wouldn't have some kind of understanding of what usually happens to people that you sell like slaves.

Part of me wishes I had never taken that course on women in Asia...
If anyone is interested I might be bothered to find the report on the following thing I'm about to say:

Did you ever learn about the US relations with Thailand? We have a rating system that labels countries based on their sex and human trafficking, if you get the highest rating we cut off all trade with your company.

The US, after lobbying helped, put Thailand (who at the time, perhaps still, had some of the highest rates in the world) one notch below the maximum so that we could still get cheap clothes from them.

Capitalism wins again! So much for human rights.

Anywho, as I said, it was something that came up a few years ago, I believe I was in college at the time. I might be willing to go find it if anyone is interested.

Abandon4093 said:
elbowlick said:
[

Abandon4093 said:

I thought a bunch of families lost their children in some earthquake or something in China not too long ago? I'd think they'd be in the market to try and fill that gap since quite a few are not likely to have another of their own.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Selling children to rich westerners is not an unheard of occurence in China, it's just annoying that because these two are gamers we're all going to enjoy another lick of paint from the same brush.

yookiwooki

Dec 3, 2010
That's really weird...
In my opinion, this attitude might have something to do with China's one child policy. Once you start shitting on human rights like that people forget what human rights are.