Chinese Teen Beaten to Death at Internet Addiction Camp

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
It's really sad that summer camps in China have to advertise the fact that they don't torture campers as a selling point.

Talyn.Co

Jun 3, 2009
One thing that stirs my curiosity is that they beat the teen, then he died from it days later. Now it would still have to be a very serious beating to kill him days later, but they did not beat him to death that very day. I doubt they understood the severity of the beating they gave him, or that it would kill him, but I'm uninformed on the matter... However the way their behavior was justified is dispicable. No one should be beaten at all, and especially not to such severity, for not running fast enough. Especially when it's an 'internet addict', so he may've been overweight to a degree.

Foolish Mortal

May 5, 2008
China gets more and more messed up with every day that passes. Supporting the dictatorial military rulers of Burma? One child-policy? And now they're so terrified of people learning how low their quality of life really is via the internet, they set up fucking treatment camps.

God damn are we lucky to have been born in a democratic country.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
stinkychops said:
I fail to see how getting somebody to run will stop them using the internet.
Because it's hard to surf the Internet when jogging uphill in the pouring rain as your instructors flog you with bullwhips.

China is... Interesting, sometimes.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
Well, it seems China has a really interesting way of handling video games, and the curing of their soul sucking abilities down pat.

Also, electric shock therapy? That's so far beyond what the US is allowed to do to it's detainee's.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
Haha love the fact they have "does not include torture or other methods that might damage a child's health." as part of their mission statement.

I'm glad I live in the free world.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
stinkychops said:
Samurai Goomba said:
stinkychops said:
I fail to see how getting somebody to run will stop them using the internet.
Because it's hard to surf the Internet when jogging uphill in the pouring rain as your instructors flog you with bullwhips.

China is... Interesting, sometimes.
I meant when he returns to society.
It's called psychological trauma. There's no better way to get over an "addiction."

Zer0-Cool

Aug 10, 2009
I sort of disagree with you. I mean, yeah, maybe a rare few are addicted to the internet but I don't really think they're 'addicted' in a sense where if they don't have it they'll die like some other things that people can be addicted to. I think that those few who are addicted are only 'addicted' because sometimes being a teenager is tough. Kids these days are incredibly immoral. Maybe some kids would rather retreat to the internet where some people, if not most, will like them because other kids retreat to the internet for the same reason, then have to stand the pressence of the kids you wish you could run away from. I, for one, use the internet everyday. I'm a highschool student, during the summer I use it from the time I get up to the time I go to bed, during school time, I use it from the time I finish my homework until I go to bed. So, overall about 8-10 hours. Yeah, I know it's a bit much and some people might say I'm 'addicted' but (and this may sound cliche) I'm not, really I could stop anytime I wanted to but I just don't see any good reason for it. I'm learning a lot of things here, I'm socializing more than I ever would face-to-face, and I'm having fun while doing it. I could stop if I absolutly had to, seeing as I'm going on a trip to another country for 2 weeks and I'm sure I won't miss the internet a bit but, just think about it. These kids see it as a place to be free and sometimes people get pissed when you take away their freedom, actually forget the sometimes, everyone gets pissed when you take away their freedom, that may be part of the reason why people think that they're 'addicted'.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Harbinger_ said:
Poor kid. Technically wouldn't this make the parents accessories to murder?
Absolutely not. They had no way of knowing the camp uses inhumanitarian therapy techniques. They're well within their rights to sue the idiots for all their money and claim compensation for lost family member.

METC

Mar 21, 2009
Without any kind lude or inappropriate remarks, I'll just say this:

My condolenses to Mr. Senshan's family, and I hope you get through this tough time as swiftly and painlessly as possible.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
I hate to sound ignorant but if China wasn't so shitty this wouldn't be such a problem.

I realize the US isn't Xtreme! in our Awesome but at least you have something else to do here other than games. China is a pretty shitty place from what I've heard from folks who've lived there.

Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe living in China is one long boner. But if it is a boner then their MMO's must be straight on sex.

Zer0-Cool said:
I sort of disagree with you. I mean, yeah, maybe a rare few are addicted to the internet but I don't really think they're 'addicted' in a sense where if they don't have it they'll die like some other things that people can be addicted to. I think that those few who are addicted are only 'addicted' because sometimes being a teenager is tough. Kids these days are incredibly immoral. Maybe some kids would rather retreat to the internet where some people, if not most, will like them because other kids retreat to the internet for the same reason, then have to stand the pressence of the kids you wish you could run away from. I, for one, use the internet everyday. I'm a highschool student, during the summer I use it from the time I get up to the time I go to bed, during school time, I use it from the time I finish my homework until I go to bed. So, overall about 8-10 hours. Yeah, I know it's a bit much and some people might say I'm 'addicted' but (and this may sound cliche) I'm not, really I could stop anytime I wanted to but I just don't see any good reason for it. I'm learning a lot of things here, I'm socializing more than I ever would face-to-face, and I'm having fun while doing it. I could stop if I absolutly had to, seeing as I'm going on a trip to another country for 2 weeks and I'm sure I won't miss the internet a bit but, just think about it. These kids see it as a place to be free and sometimes people get pissed when you take away their freedom, actually forget the sometimes, everyone gets pissed when you take away their freedom, that may be part of the reason why people think that they're 'addicted'.
For the exception of Alcoholism and the DT's there is no addiction that isn't little more than "Meh I really need it."

You get withdrawal symptoms from any and all addictions. There is only one that I know of that can kill you and that's Alcohol Withdrawal. So from that standpoint I see nothing different from being addicted to masturbation, games, or drugs.

Problem is we validate drug addicts too much by acting like they are special. The processes being dealt with don't really vary that much. Some are harder to quit than others but the basic series of events leading from quitting to 'being clean' aren't all that different.

I mean damn, Cigarettes have the longest withdrawal effects of any drug that I've read about and they are the only one of the 'fun drugs' that we let folks do besides alcohol. Kind of funny to me ;).

Sigmund Freud did cocaine for quite some time and one day was told by a close friend to stop it. He dropped it cold turkey after quite a long use and as far as I know didn't report on it being all that traumatic. However he smoked cigarettes till he had multiple mouth surgeries (mouth cancer) and other related illnesses that ended up killing him. He was never able to quit it.

Anywho back to my point. Addiction to games is no different than addiction to any substance. All are because of a desire for the chemical stimuli they give to the brain and removing them results in a withdrawal symptom as the brain overcompensates for the loss of that stimuli essentially taking the person "into the red" and this stays till the brain finally re stabilizes. Unfortunately even things that remind someone of a drug or stimuli can cause the brain to begin responding as it did with the stimuli. You show a heroin user the band for their arm and their brain will start firing just as if they were getting injected.

I like to call it a thoughtgasm.