Chloe Zhao to direct upcoming Dracula movie

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I disagree big time, and you are part of the vocal minority. I lie all the characters and they play their roles real well. While D is your typical brooding, stoic-is-cool/badass, it's not played to an obnoxious, absurd degree, unlike Sasuke Uchia. Whatever moments of sympathy or vulnerability do come from D, makes it all the more powerful and adds something to him. And this would not work with out Lefty, his left hand infected with a parasite who is a comical riot. D plays the straight man to Lefty's sarcasm and smart talk. Their reason why the novels tend to focus more on the characters around D, than D himself. You still see it in Bloodlust, but more is done to balance the characters out. D ain't no Alucard (Both of them. Castlevania Netflix & Hellsing ), Blade, Integra, Seras Victoria, Kagura (who is stripperific Dante), or Saya but I like the guy. I love the dynamic between D, The Marcus Bros, and Leila. Meierlink has the woe is me vampire going on, but surprisingly works and is not insufferable, and I can sympathize with him and Charlotte just fine. It was love story written and done better than Twilight and Vampire Knight. I actually teared up a little. Something rare for anime about vampires can do to me. I recommend you give the film another shot, but I highly doubt you're gonna do that.
I have actually watched it a couple times. I even bought it on blu-ray cuz nice looking anime in HD. But I just can't warm up to anything in this movie. Yoshiaki Kawajiri is very hit or miss for me, I only really like Ninja Scroll and that's it. Probably because it has the most consistent sense of world. For me Bloodlust also falls into that spot a lot of early 2000's anime movies fall into; the huge, big budget, visual spectacles that feel too cluttered with bedazzlement, like Steam Boy, and Metropolis.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I have actually watched it a couple times. I even bought it on blu-ray cuz nice looking anime in HD. But I just can't warm up to anything in this movie. Yoshiaki Kawajiri is very hit or miss for me, I only really like Ninja Scroll and that's it. Probably because it has the most consistent sense of world. For me Bloodlust also falls into that spot a lot of early 2000's anime movies fall into; the huge, big budget, visual spectacles that feel too cluttered with bedazzlement, like Steam Boy, and Metropolis.
I disagree, Bloodlustt suffers the least from this. Especially when compared to Steam Boy or Metropolis. Metropolis, while entertaining, was pretty forgettable and had too many subplots and not focused enough. Steam Boy suffered from trying to make another big impact like Akira did. Decent, but I never felt the need to buy a copy of the movie. I would still watch any of these over Evangelion and it's crappy clones that permeated the early to mid 2000s.