Choice dilemma

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
Ok here's the problem. I've made a rig with the help of my brother. Since he constantly repairs computers for the living, I trust in what he says. But when we got to the videocard section, I really wanted to get the 295 (GeForce). My goal was building a rig that could run games like Crysis to the max (I don't really care if I won't get 60 FPS, 30 is also just fine.), my brother suggested we should get the 4890 (ATI). But when I checked the 3Dmark website for it, I saw it got a score a bit over 10 000. And the GeForce 295 had a score of 16 000. He then said that when you would put 2 brand new computers next to each other, with each of the cards in it, you wouldn't see much of a diffrence and most importantly (to me) he also said the 295 gives a lot more problems than the 4890.

Is this true, are these just numbers? Is there a great difference?

I hope to have a answer soon, thanks in advance.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
-The 3Dmark is a flawed metric. Go look up some benchmarks based on actual games. They're all over the place.
-Your graphics card is very important. It does most of the heavy lifting for graphics, and you most certainly will notice a difference between a strong card and a weaker card.
-ATI has it's own driver problems. My GeForce drivers have generally been rock solid.

Max_A_Buck

Jun 16, 2009
Yeah. Google some reviews and benchmarks for both cards. Look for what issues they have, etc. The last ATI card I had was a while back and the drivers were pretty shabby. They might have fixed this by now. I'm using a 9800 now and it's run everything I've thrown at it smoothly so far.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
A friend of mine has an ATI card which is actually supposed to be really good (one of the best on the market), but he has constant problems with it, while my GeForce, which is supposed to be less good (only an 8600 GTS), hasn't ever failed me in the last year. So my advice would be to stay the hell away from all ATI cards and get a decent GeForce.

Rayath

Jul 23, 2008
Right...

I would go with Nvidia because they tend to have less problems with drivers.