Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My internet went out today, and as I work from home and was in the middle of a time-sensitive project, I panicked and tried restarting my router about a half a dozen times before deciding to hop in the car and drive to a nearby Starbucks to usurp their Wi-Fi. As I'm leaving the house, I see our Internet provider is up on the pole doing maintenance. Great, thanks for the notice, assholes.

But that's not my complaint (well, not the reason I'm posting this anyway.)

When I got to Starbucks, it was basically empty. ONE couple was sitting at the back of the room; the rest of the tables were lit-er-a-lly completely empty. Bonus. I ordered a coffee, and picked a remote table near the front of the room to set up shop and started working. After about a half-hour, maybe 4 customers had come in for to-go goods, but no one had opted to dine in... until this one, random asshole lugging a laptop bag of his own opted to sit at the table directly next to me! I mean, I couldn't fully extend my right arm without sticking my finger in his ear! It looked like we were sitting together; that's how close he was!

This is a BIG Starbucks, too; we're talking probably 15 tables, 90% of which were perfectly empty! I did about 30 double-takes: looking at him, then the sea of empty tables. When he started unpacking his shit, his laptop bag fell over onto mine (that's how fucking close he was!!) He whispered "sorry about that," and I just rolled my eyes and kept working; I was seething on the inside. Every part of me wanted to be very petty and dramatic, get up and move myself to another table, making sure he knew HE was the reason, but I'm a 44-year-old man; I don't have time for drama, especially when it involves some aloof asshole with no awareness of basic social mores.

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Ticks and fleas. Helped some friends with their networks/pcs and no good deed goes unpunished. Viruses and hard ware failures. Grrrrr.

Killed viruses on one device. Pesky sucker. Couldn't run a command line, see PC properties, could connect to a network but not get to the Internet.

Thank g-d for 2 factor authentication.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
All right Asian take here. I despise the Western obsession with dirty thick carpets. Why do you idiots who install houses insist on having carpets? I don't give a shit they are nice to walk on, the thick ones in America suck ass. They get dirty near the bottom of the carpet. You have to clean every fucking five years or replace them. My apartment had them, my first house had them, and my second house had them. I get it you roll carpet and it installs fast, and it warms the house, but it's likely the reason we have allegories in the US. Fuck carpets wear a sweater.

Reactions: gorfias

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
but it's likely the reason we have allegories in the US.
I'm trying to work out if this is a typo, and if so, what it was meant to be, or if there is some subtle hidden meaning to your hatred of carpets story that I have missed.

Also...clean or replace a carpet every 5 years...what kind of abject lunacy is this? My parents' back room carpet is older than me!

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm trying to work out if this is a typo, and if so, what it was meant to be, or if there is some subtle hidden meaning to your hatred of carpets story that I have missed.

Also...clean or replace a carpet every 5 years...what kind of abject lunacy is this? My parents' back room carpet is older than me!
Replace carpet once, with literally anything else because fabric traps all smells and stains. If you own pets, give up the idea of having carpet.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Replace carpet once, with literally anything else because fabric traps all smells and stains. If you own pets, give up the idea of having carpet.
I consider a floor to be the thing that stops you falling through to whatever lies below. If it performs that function while being safe to walk on with bare feet I am fine with it.

Sadly my partner is of a different opinion

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Allergies. And, carpets aren't the reason people have allergies.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I'm on holiday at the moment, just putting my lenses in early morning, knock my lense holder cap off the shelf and it bounces straight down into the bog brush holder and sits on top of the brush that I had to umm...use...last night. I don't have any spare holders with me so I'm going to have to bleach the fucker and clean it very thoroughly now. FFS

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
One of my former coworkers is probably going to be homeless soon.

She was a contract worker whose contract expired a year ago. Since then she hasn't been able to find a job, and also discovered that she has cancer.

She's an older woman, which already reduces her job prospects, but due to the cancer she can't work for long periods of time so she needs a part time job, can't do physical labor, and needs a job with flexible hours so she can go to her doctor's appointments. If she loses her apartment it'll be even more difficult to get a job.

She's trying to get government assistance but that's slow-going, and she's already sold most of her non-essential possessions over the last year so she has no money coming in. She also has a bunch of pets which is making finding another cheaper apartment difficult, and she can't go to a homeless shelter because they won't let her bring her pets.

Being unhealthy in the US is fucking terrifying.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
One of my former coworkers is probably going to be homeless soon.

She was a contract worker whose contract expired a year ago. Since then she hasn't been able to find a job, and also discovered that she has cancer.

She's an older woman, which already reduces her job prospects, but due to the cancer she can't work for long periods of time so she needs a part time job, can't do physical labor, and needs a job with flexible hours so she can go to her doctor's appointments. If she loses her apartment it'll be even more difficult to get a job.

She's trying to get government assistance but that's slow-going, and she's already sold most of her non-essential possessions over the last year so she has no money coming in. She also has a bunch of pets which is making finding another cheaper apartment difficult, and she can't go to a homeless shelter because they won't let her bring her pets.

Being unhealthy in the US is fucking terrifying.
Fuck's sake. What a horrible predicament to be in. I'll always say: the US is only as good as those who have the worst of us, and a woman suffering debilitating illness and a healthcare/employment system that's stacked against her... we fucking suck.

For what it's worth (and as someone who has dealt with the these systems,) I wish her the best.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Fudge. Some real stuff in this forum. Too real.

Here's something that pissed me off.

1712283122076.png

I was loving Dragon Age a ton! And then I talked to a guy that said for $5 he could send me on a side quest. Stopped playing and haven't gone back. Nice way to kill immersion.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Giant storm, wonder if the drain in my balcony has held up.

Carpet is soggy in places, looks like it hasn't. That is, the water level has risen enough that it's comer through the door. Not a huge amount, and it' drying nicely, but still.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ugh, controls on my pc monitor are busted. Stupid thing. I actually like the actual picture, but the rest of it had small problems since day 1 that drive me up the wall.

Reactions: Piscian and gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Fudge. Some real stuff in this forum. Too real.

Here's something that pissed me off.

View attachment 10943

I was loving Dragon Age a ton! And then I talked to a guy that said for $5 he could send me on a side quest. Stopped playing and haven't gone back. Nice way to kill immersion.
Not to be that guy, but if you only bought the game recently then you should have bought the ultimate edition because that has everything. All nine DLCs, and both expansion packs. It’s $40 on Aussie Steam now, so logically should cost you like $27 in greenbacks.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Not to be that guy, but if you only bought the game recently then you should have bought the ultimate edition because that has everything. All nine DLCs, and both expansion packs. It’s $40 on Aussie Steam now, so logically should cost you like $27 in greenbacks.
Adding to my wish list. $30 here on Steam now. I'm a cheap bastard and will wait for a sale but, you've put this on my radar! Thanks! EDIT: BTW: Bought it years ago on EA. Gotta check that app too.

EDIT: Dunno if this means they made my ancient EA buy into the ultimate or not. Hmm.

1712798923381.png

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Adding to my wish list. $30 here on Steam now. I'm a cheap bastard and will wait for a sale but, you've put this on my radar! Thanks! EDIT: BTW: Bought it years ago on EA. Gotta check that app too.

EDIT: Dunno if this means they made my ancient EA buy into the ultimate or not. Hmm.

View attachment 10973
Awakening is the Expansion Pack (I thought Witch Hunt was one but its not), and the Content Packs should be:

The Stone Prisoner
Warden's Keep
Return to Ostagar
Feastday Gifts
The Darkspawn Chronicles
Feastday Pranks
Leliana's Song
The Golems of Amgarrak
Witch Hunt

Which based on what I'm seeing here, means you should have the complete edition of the game. So I'm not sure what is still being gatekept for money for you.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Awakening is the Expansion Pack (I thought Witch Hunt was one but its not), and the Content Packs should be:

The Stone Prisoner
Warden's Keep
Return to Ostagar
Feastday Gifts
The Darkspawn Chronicles
Feastday Pranks
Leliana's Song
The Golems of Amgarrak
Witch Hunt

Which based on what I'm seeing here, means you should have the complete edition of the game. So I'm not sure what is still being gatekept for money for you.
I'll give it a shot! Thanks!